Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2014, 08:39:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332947 Posts in 13642 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Wii U to be 299/349$ and controllers ~175$
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: Wii U to be 299/349$ and controllers ~175$  (Read 7502 times)
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2012, 09:19:16 AM »

I don't think I'll buy the Wii U, but it's not because of price. Nintendo has had poor third party support for the last three console generations, and I doubt this generation will be any different. No point in spending that kind of money to get 10-20 good first party titles over the span of a generation.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2012, 12:02:38 PM »

No point in spending that kind of money to get 10-20 good first party titles over the span of a generation.

Uhh, that's usually more than enough games PERIOD to justify buying any console (well, maybe not the $600 PS3). Hell, I'm not sure the majority of people ever get that many games for a console period. Different story if you're thinking 10-20 good first party games when you'd potentially get, like, 3 though.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2012, 10:25:39 PM »

Different story if you're thinking 10-20 good first party games when you'd potentially get, like, 3 though.

That's how it was for me and the Wii. Xenoblade, S&P, and Metroid Prime 3 were the only FP ones I got. I still wound up with 10 or so good 3rd party games and still got a few to get (especially Trauma Team and Chocobo's Dungeon), though.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2012, 05:49:41 AM »

but the wii from my perspective at least didnt even have 10 good 1st party games. it was pretty much just smash bros and fire emblem for me.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2012, 07:48:46 AM »

I ended up with Super Mario Galaxy (intending on getting Galaxy 2 sometime in the future), New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Metroid Prime Trilogy (Prime 3 was only on the Wii thus far so it counts), Xenoblade Chronicles (Nintendo published), The Last Story (not actually sure if Nintendo published or not), Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, and Sin and Punishment 2: Star Successor among other 1st party published games.

What a lot of people are missing here is that Nintendo is getting a console that's not quite equivalent to the formerly $500 dollar PS3 (back in 2007 dollars which is worth a lot more than 2012/2013 dollars are) but with another built in gimmick that Sony will inevitably try to copy. With the highest end stuff you'll be going back $525 plus tax and there's almost no real reason why anyone would go for the second tablet right now since I doubt there'll be many games that'll need more than one in the near future. So really, you're looking at a $350 console when you'd much rather have the one that costs $300 plus whatever the move controllers or Kinect will set you back? And you can't even say that the 360 will look better than it without completely talking out of your fat, hairy, swamp ass because you're arguing against a new console against a 7 year old one that shares its best titles with either the PS3 or your laptop.

Also I wouldn't count on an XBox 720 until 2014 at the earliest either. If Microsoft had any plans to replace their current system with a new one right now then we would've been hearing rumors and leaks since this year's E3. There's absolutely no way they're going to surprise anybody with it and they still need time to actually design the thing no matter how quickly and clumsily they can slap one together and express rush it out the door.

As for the PS4? 2016 at the very earliest. Sony's sunk way too much into pushing the PS3 as a 10 year machine and I highly doubt that they're going to suddenly change their tune now, especially in the middle of their stride. The Vita's all we're getting out of them for the next couple of years. What we will see will be Sony's new tablet to combat the WiiU's tablet because they're currently the only ones not pushing for tablet support right now and just like what they did with the Move they're going to hop on this bandwagon too. At the very least whatever they come up with will be guaranteed to be less helplessly pathetic than Microsoft's response of "Please buy from Apple to help us pretend like we're crushing Nintendo with cheap ads, product placement, and Nike shoes because we're too busy flushing our time and money into our Kinect driven toilet bowl to bother doing anything useful or relevant. :saddowns:"

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2012, 07:58:28 AM »

...but with another built in gimmick that Sony will inevitably try to copy.

They're already trying to copy it with PS3 + Vita capability.

As for the new Xbox, there's been murmers of that since 2009. Apparently Microsoft has some big plan going or something. I knew a big Xbox fanboy who couldn't stop showing off the latest rumors and leaks.

Sony actually said the next Playstation is in development (sorta) and I think they even said something about wanting to be the first to the next generation (which is a bad idea, IMO)[nevermind they said the opposite. They want to be the best, not the first. Smart thinking there].
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 08:01:59 AM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2012, 05:09:45 PM »

Poor Sony can't catch a break.  Even when they do something 6 years before Nintendo apparently they're copying.

Yes, 6 years.  You seem to be ignoring that the PSP could do the same thing (though it was rarely utilized).  What the Vita is doing is nothing more than a more refined and mature version of functionality that was already present in the PSP, but then Nintendo comes out with a controller that looks pretty similar and suddenly Sony is copying.

Furthermore, though there was a small overlap (just a few months) between the Wii U announcement and the Vita's release, do you seriously think Sony had time to whip up this feature during that time period?  This is Sony we're talking about.  They only just got PS1 classics working.  For this conspiracy theory to make any sense requires bizarrely overestimating their abilities...

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2012, 05:34:04 PM »

Poor Sony can't catch a break.  Even when they do something 6 years before Nintendo apparently they're copying.

Yes, 6 years.  You seem to be ignoring that the PSP could do the same thing (though it was rarely utilized).  What the Vita is doing is nothing more than a more refined and mature version of functionality that was already present in the PSP, but then Nintendo comes out with a controller that looks pretty similar and suddenly Sony is copying.

Furthermore, though there was a small overlap (just a few months) between the Wii U announcement and the Vita's release, do you seriously think Sony had time to whip up this feature during that time period?  This is Sony we're talking about.  They only just got PS1 classics working.  For this conspiracy theory to make any sense requires bizarrely overestimating their abilities...

Ignoring? More like I never heard of that before. And I wasn't being serious, though I forgot to note that. I already read about how Sony had been working on that stuff before the Wii U announcement.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2012, 06:27:37 PM »

Poor Sony can't catch a break.  Even when they do something 6 years before Nintendo apparently they're copying.

Yes, 6 years.  You seem to be ignoring that the PSP could do the same thing (though it was rarely utilized).  What the Vita is doing is nothing more than a more refined and mature version of functionality that was already present in the PSP, but then Nintendo comes out with a controller that looks pretty similar and suddenly Sony is copying.

Furthermore, though there was a small overlap (just a few months) between the Wii U announcement and the Vita's release, do you seriously think Sony had time to whip up this feature during that time period?  This is Sony we're talking about.  They only just got PS1 classics working.  For this conspiracy theory to make any sense requires bizarrely overestimating their abilities...

Yeah....

No.

As an aside:

Yes. It's the technical setup for a Four Swords Adventure LP. Granted there aren't any proper GBAs involved but the point still stands.

Also my point was that this is actually being built into the console rather than being a peripheral which nobody ever uses. Just like I forgot about how the PS3 can play PSP games on the TV, developers seem even quicker to forget something like that. And the same could be said about any other peripheral too.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2012, 07:08:40 PM »

I'll want a Wii U eventually, but probably after 1 or 2 years after it's been out and it's had time to build a good library.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2012, 08:36:48 PM »

I don't know if I'd wait that long, NSMBU and Platinum's game are enough to get it sooner than later, but if it weren't for my Wii's artifacting issues I'd be content waiting until maybe half a year later rather than trying to get it for Christmas time. Though I usually did get Nintendo consoles by their first Christmas.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2012, 08:47:02 PM »

To be fair Sony's move was a blatant rip off of the Wiimote that was abandoned almost as soon as it hit the market.

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2012, 08:47:46 PM »

Now that I got my Wii working again, I can certainly wait. I still 45 VC games to plow through, anyways.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 08:50:12 PM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2012, 08:52:01 PM »

Now that I got my Wii working again, I can certainly wait. I still 45 VC games to plow through, anyways.

See, this is why the artifacting issues bug me. Too many VC games tied to it that I'd want to move onto a newer, more stable, hopefully fully account based console. That way I can just redownload on a new one or whatever should something go wrong.

Then those VC games get the lion's share of playtime.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2012, 09:04:06 PM »

its all basically a copy of sega's vmu.....wich launched in 1999....so yeah.....

im hesitant to go near this thing because of how 3DS completely canabalized the wii. wich is why im very interested in ps3/vita cross play.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: