Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 06:52:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341087 Posts in 13940 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Wii U to be 299/349$ and controllers ~175$
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Print
Author Topic: Wii U to be 299/349$ and controllers ~175$  (Read 8428 times)
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2012, 10:08:56 AM »

I don't get why it matters so much. It's the same game whether it's in HD or not. The Mario Galaxy games look quite fantastic already. I was very impressed by them.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: Mistbron#3: Hero of Ages
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2012, 12:08:53 PM »

The WiiU is weird. I played some game where I shot arrows at shit during Comic Con.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2012, 02:23:37 PM »

Hopefully nintendo has been realizing this and has been making HD versions of key games released for Wii. That wouldn't surprise me in the least actually.

I would like to see GameCube games remastered personally.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2012, 09:45:23 AM »

Why does nintendo suck so hard at making hardware?
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/10/18/wii-u-voice-chat-sounds-pretty-complicated/

I don't get why it matters so much. It's the same game whether it's in HD or not. The Mario Galaxy games look quite fantastic already. I was very impressed by them.

Braveheart looked great but I'm not ready to plug my VCR into my new tv to watch my old tape. What's "not to get?" People have been bitching about the resolution for the Wii forever, I'm not treading new ground here.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2012, 10:36:59 AM »

The res is bad, but a game with "good graphics" still looks spectacular on the Wii (Mario Galaxy, Kirby RtDL, Skyward Sword, Xenoblade, Last Story, Smash Brawl, Metroid, etc.).  C'mon, you're a retro gamer, I'm sure on some level you can relate. :)

I always loved that "white glow" characters had in Mario Galaxy, like a star was behind them

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2012, 02:16:41 PM »

Braveheart looked great but I'm not ready to plug my VCR into my new tv to watch my old tape. What's "not to get?" People have been bitching about the resolution for the Wii forever, I'm not treading new ground here.
I forget. Do you own a Wii? Have you played games like Mario Galaxy? We have our Wii hooked up to an HD tv with component cables and the games look great. The Galaxy games are beautiful and almost on par with anything on the HD systems.
I need to check again, but is the Wii-U backwards compatible? If so, then you're request seems like a waste of resources to me. If not, then I suppose an enhanced version would be for those who never played it before, or those who might want to replay it? I always forget that part because replaying games isn't something I do. Ever.
Nintendo will do whatever they think will make them money. If they see an HD port as feasible, then we'll see one.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: Mistbron#3: Hero of Ages
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2012, 03:12:27 PM »

Okay, seriously, that's not even a fair comparison. VHSes are notoriously hard on the celluloid film within cassettes and after a while the film will break through wear and tear and the machine will probably get clogged with the wreckage which will likely wreck it in the process. Besides, you're talking about the difference of using 30 year old tech versus 5 year old tech. Hell, even VHS's successors are getting phased out in favor of the internet and sites like Hulu and Netflix.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2012, 10:00:51 PM »

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge for Wii U just keeps getting better

Content that the latest build of Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge presents:

Perhaps the most significant change of all is the fact that Ryu is actually responsive in Razor's Edge. Ryu's recovery has been shortened greatly, so players can easily cancel into a dodge or block as the situation demands.

Enemies have been improved. They are more aggressive, and some have access to new moves. The basic terrorist grunts and alchemists are the most obvious examples.

Combat has been redesigned to have a more technical feel. Enemies have more stagger animations (including wall damage/stuns). Both playable characters now have a universal grab (the Guillotine throw).

Charge attacks are extremely fast. Ninja Gaiden 3 introduced a charge mechanic, whereby holding down the heavy attack resulted in a powerful combo extension. The length of time needed to charge this attack has been reduced dramatically.

There are six weapons available to Ryu in Razor's Edge right from the get-go. Ryu now has access to the claws, scythe, dual katanas, staff, and an as-of-yet unrevealed weapon, on top of the standard katana.

Karma has been redesigned to function as both the point/ranking system, as well as currency.

Collectible items have been reintroduced. The Golden Scarabs from the original Ninja Gaiden, and Crystal Skulls from Ninja Gaiden 2 are strewn about each stage, and can be collected for an instant Karma bonus.

Players can use this Karma currency to purchase upgrades for weapons and magic (Ninpo) as well as unique combat abilities and even in-game costumes.

The new "Cicada Surge" teleportation ability has been polished greatly since its reveal back during E3. It is an incredibly handy way to get out of overwhelming situations.

A new ability, called "Four Rings" has been introduced. It is a 360 shuriken attack that stuns enemies surrounding Ryu, and can be tacked on to combos on-the-fly, much like ordinary shuriken attacks.

Ultimate Techniques can be used even when Ryu/Ayane's weapons aren't glowing red, simply by holding down and charging a heavy attack (much like in Ninja Gaiden 2). Ultimate Techniques have two charge levels once again.

Ninpo is still earned through combat. However, you can keep your Ninpo charge between encounters now, allowing you to cast magic or save it as you see fit.

Bosses have life gauges now. You can see their health on the bottom of the screen.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 19, 2012, 11:08:20 PM »

That's almost sounding like Ninja Gaiden 3: We Remembered To Make A Game This Time! Edition.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: October 26, 2012, 11:27:12 PM »

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge Trailer and screenshots / Due November 18 for Wii U with new features
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: October 29, 2012, 05:19:27 PM »

They had a demo station at gamestop. Controller is comfortable to hold but the thumbstick on the right side seems to be in a weird spot relative to the buttons. The console is strangely big for something that doesn't have a real internal hard drive.

I played a level from the new Rayman. It was one of those chase type levels set to "Black Betty" and it was hilarious and awesome.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #71 on: October 29, 2012, 05:23:26 PM »

They had a demo station at gamestop. Controller is comfortable to hold but the thumbstick on the right side seems to be in a weird spot relative to the buttons. The console is strangely big for something that doesn't have a real internal hard drive.

I played a level from the new Rayman. It was one of those chase type levels set to "Black Betty" and it was hilarious and awesome.

Hey, I played the same demo at GameStop on my lunch while I was picking up Layton.  Rayman looks really cool, but I am still not sold on the touchscreen controller for anything other than 1) an additional screen or 2) asymmetric gameplay.  Like, I would LOVE to have Pac Man Vs. again on that.  It's huge, though, and I wouldn't want to use it regularly.  Plus, as Yoda mentioned, the Nintendo "right analog stick at the top" is goofy.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: October 29, 2012, 05:33:14 PM »

I stopped playing when I looked on the controller and saw what seemed to be a big nasty pube.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 29, 2012, 05:50:20 PM »

I think juggling NSMBU and ZombiU will be the test for whether the right stick placement is genius or dumb. I think I'll still prefer the Dual Shock setup though: I find it comfortable for about any type of game, and it keeps the D-Pad and face buttons free for reaching to press something with a finger while manipulating the sticks, whereas that's not going to happen on this.
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: October 29, 2012, 05:55:54 PM »

I think I could get used to it after a while.After a decade of the dualshock and thousands of hours on the 360 handle it's weird to see a totally new setup.

In a related note I played some 3DS there too. First time I played for more than 2 min. Uncomfy all all getup to hold and control. Last time I played the 3D effect didn't seem to work. This time it was all blurry or whatever then after 30-40s of playing mario kart it just "clicked' and the 3d worked great for me.

I'd get it ... I hardly use my psp or DS at this point.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: