Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 05:10:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327632 Posts in 13412 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Soda in NY/ Bad Food ONT!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: Soda in NY/ Bad Food ONT!  (Read 5866 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: September 14, 2012, 01:26:21 AM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/14/nyregion/health-board-approves-bloombergs-soda-ban.html?_r=3&hp

I'd have put this in "Today's News", but I want a few opinions on this.  How y'all feel about this?  
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 12:47:13 AM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 01:38:42 AM »

My city has turned against me...

Inb4newyorkapocalypse

TASTY!
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 02:23:50 AM »

Ridiculous.

If people want to drink themselves to obesity, let them. If people DON'T want to drink large drinks, then let them. This type of law does basically nothing and uses up precious taxpayer money that could be going into, oh, I don't know, shit like education.

And like Jon Stweart said, with this ban, the same amount of weed is now half as illegal as the same amount of soda. Jesus Christ.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 02:32:00 AM by Ashton » Logged

FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 02:29:37 AM »

Our large here is equivalent to your regular, I think. I can barely manage a small, haha.

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 02:47:16 AM »

Here's the main problem with these small criminalization laws. Read both 16-A and 16-B.

The bottom line is this: When laws are too vague or overbroad, then the law stops becoming predictable, and overcriminalization occurs - a huge problem when a major defining point of law is its cut and dried predictability as to what is right and what isn't right within the context of a free and normal society.

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 04:04:18 AM »

Only establishments that receive inspection grades from the health department, including movie theaters and stadium concession stands, will be subject to the rules. Convenience stores, including 7-Eleven and its king-size Big Gulp drinks, would be exempt, along with vending machines and some newsstands.

So... it's not even going to have any effect, right? I'm all for encouraging healthier lifestyles, but now they're just bullying (small) businesses.

Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 05:58:18 AM »

As a direct plan it has tons of flaws. From people having their own stock of soda in the fridge to the fact that if they can just order another one if they're out and want more. If it's a indirect move to make people think on the subject and try and sway public opinion away from soda it could have a small effect.

It's a pretty scummy tactic though, even if his heart is in the right place.

Personally I'll drink mountain dew if there's free pop available at a gathering or whatever, but as a rule I try never to buy it. I used to, but as I gained weight I figured that, hey, if I attack a bag of chips at least there's satisfaction to that. It fills my stomach. A drink doesn't. I'm just adding calories and not getting anything out of it. So, I'm all about water.
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 06:46:08 AM »

Americans hate being told in any fashion what to do. Even it's best for their fat, dumb asses
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 09:15:30 AM »

I think it'll end up backfiring on them and the next administration in NY will probably repeal this law anyway.

I think the government is tackling obesity the wrong way. Banning shit isn't really going to help. It has failed in the past and will fail in the future. The buying and eating habits of Americans need to change. Restricting what people can buy isn't going to work.

Then again, people make choices and should face the consequences of them. If they want to drink soda, more power to them. If they want to stay obese, more power to them. If they wish to be like that though, they should be aware of the consequences: poor health, higher insurance premiums and people making fun of them constantly.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 02:27:30 PM »

Considering that the normal size drink in most fast food establishments is a 22 ounce cup, that's alot of menu re-writes for just one state.

TASTY!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 02:55:00 PM »

Considering that the normal size drink in most fast food establishments is a 22 ounce cup, that's alot of menu re-writes for just one city.

Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 03:04:58 PM »

So lets see if I've got this right. Its OK to carry a gun but you can't drink soda?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 03:06:30 PM by Maxximum » Logged

NOW PLAYING:
Hearthstone: I don't like card games, and yet I enjoy this.
Chaos on Deponia: Beat the first one, went straight for the second one, that says a lot.
F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin: Seems ok, has mouse issues.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 03:09:08 PM »

No you can still drink soda, you just have to go through some extra hassle if you want to drink a giant soda.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, 03:50:36 PM »

No you can still drink soda, you just have to go through some extra hassle if you want to drink a giant soda.

...with a gun in your pocket.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 06:03:57 PM »

You know what's funny? They keep saying "sugary soft drinks", but the average glass of juice has as much sugar as any soda on the market.

TASTY!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: