Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 01, 2014, 05:11:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335316 Posts in 13729 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Pay people to raise your X360 GamerScore!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Pay people to raise your X360 GamerScore!  (Read 1502 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« on: October 04, 2006, 02:39:42 AM »

1up news story.

I can't believe that fucking exists. For those who don't know about the GamerScore thing for the X360, you can earn achivements in about every game by accomplishing set goals by the developers, IE beating the game or scoring X number of kills in an online game, and these achievements give you gamer points. These serve no purpose other than bragging rights.

Essentially, you're paying out of your ass just so you can brag to your friends, rather than actually play through the games for yourself. What the /fuck/?
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 03:03:27 AM »

It goes to show how lazy people can be. Sure I can be lazy and procastinate myself, but I do get my own work the very least. This kills the fun of earning these achievements :(

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 05:11:43 AM »

Will people use this service, though? Just because it exist doesn't mean that it's going to be used.

On the other hand, people pay stupid amounts of money to get powerleveling/items/gold in WoW and other MMOs, so I suppose there are people who would play equally stupid amounts of money to get a few extra points on their gamer card.
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 08:32:01 AM »

It says on their website it takes most people 6-12 months to "achieve" 3000 gamerpoints. Um, correct me if I'm wrong... but every full 360 game has 1000 gamerpoints you can unlock. So, unless you buy 3 games every "6-12 months," it should be entirely possible to unlock 3000 achievement points within, say, three weeks. I haven't spent much time with my 360, and when I have most of it's been with the Arcade. I'm already breaking 7000 points.

What I'm trying to say is any serious gamer should be perfectly capable of getting them themselves. And who else but a serious gamer would want that boost? Who are these guys trying to appeal to?

[/url]
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 10:43:38 AM »

I thought buying MMO currency was bad enough, but this is truly laziness on an epic scale.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 11:06:04 AM »

I don't really like the whole achievements thing. It is nothing but bragging rights and distracts from the game I feel. You shouldn't NEED a reason to beat the game just to get some stupid points.
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 01:11:36 PM »

Gamers differ. For perfectionists, achievement points are mana from heaven. Personally, I love them. By their nature they can create whole new ways to play games (ie- "walk 33 feet over the backs of zombies" in Dead Rising) or promote objectives you may have otherwise overlooked (as in achievement points for 100% game completion or finding all hidden items, etc.).

edit:
Also, how would they take away from the games? They're just something extra; you don't need to go out of your way to get any of them if you don't want. It just gives you the option.

[/url]
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2006, 01:31:51 PM »

I can see your point, but in some respect I think many developers just try and add zany things to give you points to make up for the games inherent lacking of gameplay.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2006, 01:56:51 PM »

Well, if it lacks gameplay then there wouldn't be many of those extra objectives to fulfill anyway.

People who do this can do whatever they want, it's of no concern to me. If they want to spend money on stuff like this, hey, why not? It's their money. Let them have their cake and eat it, too. If someone's going to spend money just so they can brag about their bought scores, I'd just laugh at them.

Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2006, 05:06:30 PM »

I don't really give a rat's ass about the achievments.  I've had my 360 for almost a year and I don't think I've topped 6000 pts. yet.  I don't see what the fuss is about.  Maybe for some people, it's a cool incentive or whatever but paying someone to do it for you...uh, that's kinda mental.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2006, 07:58:36 PM »

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: