Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2014, 02:03:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331653 Posts in 13579 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  TGS 2012: Smaller, lighter PS3 model unveiled, $269.99 (MSRP)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: TGS 2012: Smaller, lighter PS3 model unveiled, $269.99 (MSRP)  (Read 2931 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2012, 10:57:58 AM »

Am I the only one who thinks the redesign is fugly?

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2012, 11:17:47 AM »

The slim PS2 just made it look flimsy.  PS3 isn't sending much of a better vibe... it looks like an in-house air-purifier or whatever.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2012, 05:18:51 PM »

Sony's turning into the trolls of the gaming industry. With this they're probably the first of the 'modern generation' companies to have a handheld system more expensive than a console system (buying a memory stick is a requirement for the Vita; and I'm not counting moments of ill-timed price drops or a handheld released years after a console, we're talking launch price to price pointing within a year's span). Going bare bones on both (250GB super slim vs basic Vita + 4GB stick) it's $270 vs $275.

Someone in that company has no business sense when it comes to the gaming market.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 05:24:09 PM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Draak

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2012, 05:53:54 PM »

Someone in that company has no business sense when it comes to the gaming market.

"Sony" and "sense" should never be in the same sentence.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2012, 05:57:55 PM »

Sony's turning into the trolls of the gaming industry. With this they're probably the first of the 'modern generation' companies to have a handheld system more expensive than a console system (buying a memory stick is a requirement for the Vita; and I'm not counting moments of ill-timed price drops or a handheld released years after a console, we're talking launch price to price pointing within a year's span). Going bare bones on both (250GB super slim vs basic Vita + 4GB stick) it's $270 vs $275.

Uhhh... The 3DS is $170, whereas the Wii is $150.

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2012, 05:58:03 PM »

and I'm not counting moments of ill-timed price drops or a handheld released years after a console

The PS3 came out in 2006, dude...

BTW, the 3DS costs more than a Wii (which also came out in 2006).

So what was your point?

ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2012, 09:18:33 PM »

I count slim reductions as 'new' systems. They practically are since they're intended to make you go "Hey; this is an upgrade, better pitch the old one and buy this one."

Super Slim PS3 - 2012
PS Vita - 2011

compared to

Nintendo Wii- 2006 (there was a 2011 re-design but unlike slims this actually downgraded the system; so I'm not willing to count it atm)
3DS - 2011

The Wii/3DS comparison doesn't follow the logic of my argument anyway. You missed the point where I'm talking about the cycles being within an approximate year of each other. A better comparison would be the Wii U/3DS. Which will be roughly $300 (Wii U basic) to $170 (3DS basic). A perfect example of how your handheld system, within a rough one year gap of your newest console system, should be cheaper. Not more expensive.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 09:24:48 PM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2012, 09:47:30 PM »

I count slim reductions as 'new' systems.

I'm sorry, but that's just dumb.  Especially since slimmer versions of consoles are usually intended to reduce manufacturing costs and are usually associated with price drops, which would make the gap even bigger.  If Sony did something weird here it's the fact that they didn't drop the PS3's price...in fact they actually increased the cost of the cheapest model (while bundling more junk, whatever...).

They practically are since they're intended to make you go "Hey; this is an upgrade, better pitch the old one and buy this one."

Who the hell thinks that?  New models are intended to reduce costs as I already mentioned and to attract new customers.  If there are a few idiots out there who will buy a system they already have just because it's in a different box, well I'm sure Sony won't complain but they're hardly the the target market.

The Wii/3DS comparison doesn't follow the logic of my argument anyway. You missed the point where I'm talking about the cycles being within an approximate year of each other. A better comparison would be the Wii U/3DS. Which will be roughly $300 (Wii U basic) to $170 (3DS basic). A perfect example of how your handheld system, within a rough one year gap of your newest console system, should be cheaper. Not more expensive.

That's a completely cherry-picked biased comparison.  Remember the 3DS came out in the very beginning of 2011 and it was still more expensive than a Wii then (while the Vita is almost a year younger).  Yet you insist on comparing it to something that's not even out yet.  By that logic we ought to be comparing the Vita to the PS4 or whatever, which I assure you will cost more than a Vita when it's released.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2012, 09:59:15 PM »

They practically are since they're intended to make you go "Hey; this is an upgrade, better pitch the old one and buy this one."

Who the hell thinks that?  New models are intended to reduce costs as I already mentioned and to attract new customers.  If there are a few idiots out there who will buy a system they already have just because it's in a different box, well I'm sure Sony won't complain but they're hardly the the target market.

Funny enough, I had one customer actually *want* to do that... We told him "no".

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2012, 10:08:19 PM »

I'm sorry, but that's just dumb.
Who the hell thinks that? 

If you buy a new computer; same company, same amount of RAM memory, ect; however you're buying a model with 750GB HD memory instead of the 500GB of your old computer, do you not call it a 'new computer'?

Anything that offers a statistical upgrade over a previous model is called a 'new X'. That's pretty much standard thinking. The only time you don't call it that is if you take the old system and re-fit it with newer parts to match what the latest models can do, which you simply call an 'upgraded computer' rather than a 'new computer'.

Same logic line applies to the PS3 Slim vs Super Slim. Higher memory, obtained by replacing the old console instead of modifying it; ergo it is a 'new system'.

Additionally to counter your claims that this is a poor line of thinking; did you not notice the industry is leaning more towards 'pure digital' these days? Allow me to use a case and point of Warriors Orochi 3. Where's the physical release for that on the PS3? There's not. Digital only. And I doubt it will be the last of its kind (albeit I doubt this will become a prevalent model for sales this generation). Downloading full games is taxing on older models of PS3s. Upgrading to the higher GB models is pretty much a 'required' system upgrade if you're going to have to go digital to get what you want.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 10:13:13 PM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2012, 01:32:48 AM »

Or, you know, you could buy a new HD...

Here's the problem with what you're saying, ZeronHitaro:

1.  You seem to agree that having a new handheld that's more expensive than a 6 year old system is not unreasonable.
2.  Sony makes a redesign of their system that's almost certainly even cheaper to manufacture than the old system but is functionally exactly the same (other than a really minor HD upgrade which is something you could just do on your own anyway).
3.  You then arbitrarily decide that since this system is "new" the logic in point 1 shouldn't apply for some reason.
4.  Then you go on a completely off-topic rant about digital games or something.

If you buy a new computer; same company, same amount of RAM memory, ect; however you're buying a model with 750GB HD memory instead of the 500GB of your old computer, do you not call it a 'new computer'?

If somebody tried to sell me a new computer that was exactly the same as my 6 year old computer other than an incremental increase in the hard drive size and it didn't cost a fraction of what I paid 6 years ago then I would smack them in the face.

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2012, 09:14:50 AM »

Yeah, what Kevadu said. Nobody's going to buy the slim(mer) PS3 system if they already have a perfectly fine fat/slim one, especially with the easily expandable memory of the PS3. The new version isn't an upgrade, either, since the only thing it has going for it is that you can carry it easier.

This just sounds like a reason to hate on Sony.

Also, nobody upgrades from a computer to THE SAME FUCKING COMPUTER FOR THE SAME FUCKING PRICE. Who the hell does that?

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2012, 05:53:57 AM »

The 2nd PS3 model is a beautiful system
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2012, 01:50:01 PM »

Am I the only one who thinks the original fat PS3 is much more attractive?  Though it is, admittedly, huge.

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2012, 01:52:44 PM »

Nah, I think the original's the best-looking out of the PS3 models. I still do really like my slim, though. Matte finish really helps with the dust and fingerprints, unlike the original model my friend has.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: