Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 05:23:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327762 Posts in 13420 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Kingdom Hearts HD -1.5 ReMIX- (PS3) and Kingdom Hearts for PC browsers announced
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Print
Author Topic: Kingdom Hearts HD -1.5 ReMIX- (PS3) and Kingdom Hearts for PC browsers announced  (Read 11550 times)
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: September 18, 2013, 03:28:21 PM »

Well that is that... this game is officially "dropped" for me.

I have yet to drop one play- through I started in 2013 but this did it. After 15 hours or so I have zero motivation to see this through.

Gorgeous as it may be, there is no appeal for me here. I can't even say gameplay "grabs" me and there is certainly no appeal in disney or tacked on "cut-out" varieties of FF characters for this gamer. I can see how this would be pretty cool if someone had some exposure to Disney as a kid, I however did not... Disney aside I HATE cross universe anything.... I am beginning to question why the hell I thought I should even give this a shot in the first place, knowing my tastes as well as I do.

I guess years of hearing how "I had to try KH" wore down my better judgement or something.

Again, I can see how this could appeal to some but geeeeeeee golly.... NOT FOR KLYDE..... no sir... ugh.... worst week of gaming this whole year for me-LoL

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: September 18, 2013, 03:51:34 PM »

I actually really like the KH series for the most part (at least, a majority of the titles), but even when the first Kingdom Hearts came out, and I was a super-excited Highschool freshman, I still took a long break from it midway through the game because it exhausted my patience.

The first game is really not that good.  The controls are annoying, the camera will give you a headache, the worlds are poorly designed, and the hack and slash elements are clumsy. As far as an HD port, I wished they'd have changed things around to enhance the title since they had the 1.5 release as a "second attempt".

*HOWEVER*.  I do want to say that the remainder of the series *vastly* improves.
KHII adds a greater degree of depth to the battle system, characters, and creates much more interesting worlds.  There's a marked improvement here. 

KHBBS is probably the most beloved title having three unique protagonists controlling equally different, but numerous battle mechanics and a level up system that keep things fresh and fast and a "fuck load" of fun.  It's actually a title I have trouble getting sick of since there's so much to play with by ways of battle elements.

KH 358/2 is....somewhat weak, but a "solid handheld" (I feel like this is a fair distinction to make given the capabilities of the NDS).  Half the time you'll wonder how they fit all that stuff on a NDS cartridge.

And KH3DS provides massive worlds and quick combat (and, like many of the titles, lovely music).

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: September 18, 2013, 03:57:23 PM »

I only like KH more than KHII because the first wasn't all button mashing.

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: September 18, 2013, 04:05:06 PM »

I only like KH more than KHII because the first wasn't all button mashing.

Also to KHI's credit is that the final act is pretty damn great.  Good enemies, spoiler episodes, and a good conclusion.  If KH is anything, it's that the Disney worlds are largely fun filler for the rest of the plot (and regardless of your feelings on the convoluted plot it is, it's pretty entertaining to watch to some degree). 

But yeah, I'm playing this bundle out of some nostalgic "must" and I'm just sitting here thinking "maaan when is 2.5 coming out?".

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: September 18, 2013, 04:30:12 PM »

I also really liked the plot and the way it was presented in Birth by Sleep. Anyone who had played the KH games up to that point knew it was going to end in tragedy, and yet just like Crisis Core they still made the ending surprising and emotional. They also managed to have each character's arc be different enough to never get TOO boring.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: September 18, 2013, 05:19:25 PM »

I disagree with a lot of what you said, Dice.  I love KH1's worlds.  I love the exploration and Platforming, and how you're rewarded for trying to make that really annoying jump.  The Camera being put onto the Right Stick alleviates some of the problems found in the original, too.

KH2 was a huge disappointment for me because of how overly simplified the worlds are.  It also lacked a lot of the charm found in the original (for example, the intro to Donald and Goofy when you're leaving Destiny Islands in KH1 was perfect) and was instead sacrificed for...whatever darkness OC do not steal.

I don't think anyone disagrees that BBS is the best, though, at least from an overall presentation perspective.  That they managed to have 3 separate characters using the same weapon and have very different fighting styles is incredibly impressive.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: September 18, 2013, 05:45:18 PM »

I disagree with a lot of what you said, Dice.  I love KH1's worlds.  I love the exploration and Platforming, and how you're rewarded for trying to make that really annoying jump.  The Camera being put onto the Right Stick alleviates some of the problems found in the original, too.

KH2 was a huge disappointment for me because of how overly simplified the worlds are.  It also lacked a lot of the charm found in the original (for example, the intro to Donald and Goofy when you're leaving Destiny Islands in KH1 was perfect) and was instead sacrificed for...whatever darkness OC do not steal.

I don't think anyone disagrees that BBS is the best, though, at least from an overall presentation perspective.  That they managed to have 3 separate characters using the same weapon and have very different fighting styles is incredibly impressive.

I don't disagree on what KH1 did.  The prologue for the game, though kinda lengthy, was beautifully done (seeing Destiny Islands being wrecked asunder is quite dramatic and the simple, but effective, letter from Mickey -- signed by a stamp than a name -- was lovely as well.  I'm going more on a gameplay perspective; I actually thought BBS had some of the worst worlds, but since the game was a great hack n' slash, it was easy to overlook.

Also, playing as Ventus then going into Terra......omg it's the worst, their weapon speeds are totally different. ;___;

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: September 21, 2013, 04:38:47 PM »

Moving on... I'm at Atlantica.  While I'm not a fan of the first game, really, I am seeing things its done better than the others.

= I love the amount of stuff to do in this game, something that I think was....lessened with further titles.  Synthesis (granted, they're not the most interesting variety of items), trinity, arena, items everywhere, gummi ship (which is fun to abuse).  Also, future titles seem to have drop any semblance of NPCs...I hope we get some in the future

= I love the costume changes.  We see this in KH I and II....what the hell happened after that?? :(
This is more of a nuance, but I always found it funny when the really plain and cutesy Disney characters popped up in BBS while some awesome neo-anime-knights fly into the scene.
--- On a side point, and kinda creepy point.... but is it weird I'm happy that they gave Sora....nipples?  A lot of manga's avoid drawing them and I always found this strange (Tales costumes avoid this as far as a recent example in games go).

= ...Unfortunately the gameplay is so bland.  The jumping mechanics feel a "split second" off that makes the level design tedious to jump through sometimes.  Attacking is boring, there's little complexity to the actual hack n slash.

=  Spells feel next to useless at times and MP is way too hard to recover.  If there was ONE thing I'd have taken from the rest of the KH series, it'd be the "magic roulette" of KHBBS and 3DS.  The real-time battle against using a menu is an absolute pain in the ass.

= The worlds in KH1 are still beautifully done and they've aged really well.  BBS, IMO, suffered the most here with what are really plain looking worlds.   But both aren't really that great to maneuver around.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: September 21, 2013, 04:47:14 PM »

I too like seeing nipples on my anime men, Dice.

Mhmm.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: September 21, 2013, 04:53:26 PM »

I too like seeing nipples on my anime men, Dice.

Mhmm.

Haha it's not that!  I dunno, I just find it weird when anime or whatever gets too anatomically incorrect I guess.

Meredy's legs (in their entirety) also really bother me for the same reason

Meanwhile, I admire the mermaids in Suikoden IV for their rather "thunderous" thighs, but at least somewhat more anatomically accurate
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 04:57:43 PM by Dice » Logged

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: September 22, 2013, 09:11:27 AM »

Moving on... I'm at Atlantica.  While I'm not a fan of the first game, really, I am seeing things its done better than the others.

= I love the amount of stuff to do in this game, something that I think was....lessened with further titles.  Synthesis (granted, they're not the most interesting variety of items), trinity, arena, items everywhere, gummi ship (which is fun to abuse).  Also, future titles seem to have drop any semblance of NPCs...I hope we get some in the future

= I love the costume changes.  We see this in KH I and II....what the hell happened after that?? :(
This is more of a nuance, but I always found it funny when the really plain and cutesy Disney characters popped up in BBS while some awesome neo-anime-knights fly into the scene.
--- On a side point, and kinda creepy point.... but is it weird I'm happy that they gave Sora....nipples?  A lot of manga's avoid drawing them and I always found this strange (Tales costumes avoid this as far as a recent example in games go).

= ...Unfortunately the gameplay is so bland.  The jumping mechanics feel a "split second" off that makes the level design tedious to jump through sometimes.  Attacking is boring, there's little complexity to the actual hack n slash.

=  Spells feel next to useless at times and MP is way too hard to recover.  If there was ONE thing I'd have taken from the rest of the KH series, it'd be the "magic roulette" of KHBBS and 3DS.  The real-time battle against using a menu is an absolute pain in the ass.

= The worlds in KH1 are still beautifully done and they've aged really well.  BBS, IMO, suffered the most here with what are really plain looking worlds.   But both aren't really that great to maneuver around.
-I dunno about the amount of stuff to do in the game. I recall that back during high school, I did a nearly 100% run through of the game during high school over the course of a weekend. KH2 and BBS feel like they are considerably longer than that to me (which both have arenas, items, minigames, and synthesis). The other games....yeah those have a lot less to do, but they are also spin offs that play around with the formula a bit more.

-Costume changes were nice (I prefer them in 2....primarily for Timeless River). Once again, I point to spin off games as the excuse for the other games not having the costume changes.....although I'm not sure about BBS as it would make perfect sense there. I am going to just assume it is because BBS had three protagonists and they chose not to do that.

-Spells: Only spell you ever need is cure (unless you are fighting Phantoms). Who cares if the rest are useful or not. :p
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: September 22, 2013, 10:07:42 AM »

-I dunno about the amount of stuff to do in the game. I recall that back during high school, I did a nearly 100% run through of the game during high school over the course of a weekend. KH2 and BBS feel like they are considerably longer than that to me (which both have arenas, items, minigames, and synthesis). The other games....yeah those have a lot less to do, but they are also spin offs that play around with the formula a bit more.

-Costume changes were nice (I prefer them in 2....primarily for Timeless River). Once again, I point to spin off games as the excuse for the other games not having the costume changes.....although I'm not sure about BBS as it would make perfect sense there. I am going to just assume it is because BBS had three protagonists and they chose not to do that.

-Spells: Only spell you ever need is cure (unless you are fighting Phantoms). Who cares if the rest are useful or not. :p

Yeah the Timeless River Sora was amazing looking, a huge standing ovation from me for going for it and I liked how the game was able to 'surprise' me for that one.  I was also a sucker for the lion-Sora for really hitting the aesthetic of the Lion King (besides being maybe a shade too dark, he fit right in).  And Goofy looks particularly, well, goofy in whatever they throw him in (I hope Goof and Donald come back in KHIII with bigger roles again...)

You're right that BBS costumes would have clashed; but I was just a fan of the idea and given how much they like dressing Lightning up these days I like thinking about the possibilities of, say, a Hercules-inspired outfit.
...ah well, at least they change into their armor; and that shit is surprisingly badass looking for a game that features Disney characters.

I'm actually really pining on the PS3 network to make the Arena in BBS fun again.  I could never find a soul on that when I played the game the first time.  ...oh, but the racing sucked.  Serious, SNES Mario Kart was more intuitive.  And the AI in the board game thing was just *perfect*, I could never win the later levels without it being a waste of time 90% of the time.

== Just a quick side note, I'm replaying 3DS in between school reads, and one thing I love is I think everyone is the hi-res model on cutscenes...it's beautifulto look at.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 10:44:02 AM by Dice » Logged

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: September 23, 2013, 07:59:47 AM »

So I started re:COM yesterday on Beginner aiming for a no continue, no run-away run. And wow I hate either Wonderland or the game. >.> On floor two I am running into plant enemies that are constantly pulling out 5s or 6s and I barely have any cards in my deck that can match that because I am still early in the game, and then of course I will occasional encounter 6 at the same time so constantly using sleights becomes dangerous as I might run out of cards.
Tridius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: September 23, 2013, 04:04:44 PM »

So has anyone been annoyed lately about the requirements for some of the rare synthesis materials from the new heartless enemies? Especially the ones that drop Serenity Force and Lightning Stones.
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: September 25, 2013, 03:29:09 PM »

I don't get what the hell this game did to my head... Maybe it is just because I have a REAL hard time not finishing stuff I start, but ever since I dropped it I can't get the f***ing thing off my mind despite being completely wrapped up in wind waker HD right now.

I was sure I hated it. I can't stand disney. Makes me feel creepy as sin. I didn't know HOW creepy until I played this game actually... Before I would have told you I just didn't care for or have much disney background. Now I feel as though I have issues buried in the recesses of my mind that disney unearths for me or something.

For the love of god, someone give me a good reason to let this go entirely and never look back...

But whining about my mental anguish over KH is not why I am here... It is to offer up my KH theme download code because I never redeemed it before promptly selling the game when I realized I just don't think it is healthy for me to play it-LoL

Whoever wants it just PM me. I don't want to just post it for fear that some wandering guest might snatch it up before any of you fine folk whom I love so dearly :)

I really wish I knew why I can't get this title off my mind...  I'm just not sure if it is because I have PTDS (post traumatic disney syndrome), hate cross universe anything, or just truly loathe the title and am having a hard time shaking the 15 hours or so of trauma I incurred trying to play it. Or just maybe I truly liked it in spite of all that and should just finish it for piece of mind????.... I am so confused... This warrants a title change from doctor skype to "disney-phobic"....

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: