Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 05:00:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334755 Posts in 13709 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Which RPG Should I Play?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Which RPG Should I Play?  (Read 2492 times)
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« on: September 20, 2012, 07:13:19 PM »

Decided to make the thread after all. I have been mulling this over for a while, and just can't seem to choose between these 6 RPGs:

Final Fantasy VI - I tried playing the VC (SNES) version for about an hour, but got tired of it since I'd done this section a million times before. With that said, the furthest I ever got was about 6 hours in. The biggest problem, though, is that I just ordered the GBA version because that one is supposed to have a better translation and a run button, two things I really needed from this game. However, that would require doing the first hour yet again. So should I just push on with the original version I was playing, or wait until I get the GBA version? Or just give up on this game for now???

Breath of Fire III - I've been tempted to go back to this by reading The New Game Journal Thread. I don't remember anything from this game other than liking it, so it should be a fresh experience now. And I do love Breath of Fire...only problem is I kinda want to finish the first two games first, but I don't want to play those right now...

Wild Arms - Just got the last game in the series I needed, so now I'm ready to take this on. I've never played it before, and I don't know how confident I am in it...

Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete - I was all set to play this until some one told me that it sucks compared to the Sega CD version, which I have played a little bit of and really liked. He's probably wrong, but now the seeds of doubt have been planted...

Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky - I know very little about this, but I do have a good feeling about it. Only problem is I kinda want to finish Ys Seven first, even though they're not connected at all, but I don't want to play that right now. It's weird...

Tales of Symphonia - Now that I got past the part I was stuck on, I should probably get back into this...

It's a perplexing dilema for me at least, but I think some outside input may help a lot here, especially since I tend to make things more complicated in my mind than they really are.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 07:25:06 PM »

I'd do Symphonia, since you seem to be already invested in it.
But why do you supposedly have a newfound hatred for that series?

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 08:10:41 PM »

Whoever said Lunar:SSSC sucks is a dirty liar. It's probably one of the better versions out there (not sure if the PSP version is better or not but it's its only real competition).

Although FFVIA does indeed suck ass. The translation and the trivialization of pretty much every meaningful ||(or) choice are the only benefits that version offers compared to the awful audio compression and graphical loss of quality. And much like every other bonus dungeon slapped to the end of a GBA FF port, this one's not worth it too. The VC version is still the definitive.

The rest are good choices too, especially since they each offer something different.

If you want something new, I'd say go with Wild ARMs.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 08:16:41 PM »

the psp version is good but different. it seems to have developed based on the idea that people playing on a handheld have less time to play. the dungeons are shorter and bosses are easier. because of luna's limit break i have yet to use a starlight.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 08:31:55 PM »

Lunar PSPs vs PSX +/-

+Better Graphics
+New animations for moves

-/+ Different voice acting (preference).
-/+ Changed some text, mainly the outdated jokes.

-The difficulty in the PSP version is a joke.  It's too easy.  If this doesn't bother you, then maybe it's a plus.  For me, it was a huge con.
-Music stops during loading screens and restarts after load.  I really liked the OST so this was a big con.

the psp version is good but different. it seems to have developed based on the idea that people playing on a handheld have less time to play. the dungeons are shorter and bosses are easier. because of luna's limit break i have yet to use a starlight.

You will never need a starlight throughout the whole game.  You shouldn't really need any items, really.  

Whoever said Lunar:SSSC sucks is a dirty liar. It's probably one of the better versions out there (not sure if the PSP version is better or not but it's its only real competition).

Yeah, the PSX version seemed fine to me.  I know they made some of the fights easier, but I know a certain boss fight in the Sega CD version was considered one of the harder bosses in RPGs.

Mickey - You have a lot of good choices there.  Kind of hard to pick one.  I'd probably go Trails in the Sky -> Bof3 -> Lunar: SSSC -> Tales of Symphonia.  Didn't list Wild Arms because I've never played it.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 08:33:49 PM »

You talking about my Backloggery entry? I thought I updated that. That statement was 3 years old, when I tried the Vesperia Demo.

Although FFVIA does indeed suck ass. The translation and the trivialization of pretty much every meaningful ||(or) choice are the only benefits that version offers compared to the awful audio compression and graphical loss of quality. And much like every other bonus dungeon slapped to the end of a GBA FF port, this one's not worth it too. The VC version is still the definitive.

The rest are good choices too, especially since they each offer something different.

I thought as much, regarding Lunar.

And honestly, the translation in the VC version has been kind of annoying so far. There are some rather jarring mistakes, at least in the first few hours, and this is coming from someone who didn't notice the mistakes in Breath of Fire II at all.

I'll definitely put more consideration towards Wild Arms, though.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 08:53:03 PM »

I'd go with Lunar or BOF 3 personally, but Wild Arms is a decent choice as well.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 09:11:14 PM »

Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky - I know very little about this, but I do have a good feeling about it. Only problem is I kinda want to finish Ys Seven first, even though they're not connected at all, but I don't want to play that right now. It's weird...

This.  This.  A thousand times this.  Don't let not finishing Ys Seven dissuade you.  Other than being made by the same company the games have literally nothing to do with each other.  They don't play at all similarly either.

The only legitimate reason to not play TitS is if you really want to wait for the rumored (but by no means confirmed) Steam release of FC and SC.

BTW, personally I found the PSP version of Lunar to be virtually unplayable just do to the frequent long load times and unbearably slow attack animations (in braindead easy combat, no less).  I don't understand how anyone could recommend it.  I literally had to multitask while playing that game--like browsing the web or something while I wait for the stupidly slow combat to play out--or else it just drove me nuts.  You're just sitting there waiting and waiting and waiting all the time...

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 09:37:46 PM »

long load times? i dont know what your talking about. maybe you played UMD version?

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 10:21:31 PM »

I'm tempted to suggest skipping those to play some Shadow Hearts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95fy5wkx9Hk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYiwMd5y78E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k_1GW40ZqY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dF4ONtnuSQ

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 10:36:34 PM »

Play Wild Arms. 'nuff said.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 10:47:59 PM »

You talking about my Backloggery entry? I thought I updated that. That statement was 3 years old, when I tried the Vesperia Demo.

I thought as much, regarding Lunar.

And honestly, the translation in the VC version has been kind of annoying so far. There are some rather jarring mistakes, at least in the first few hours, and this is coming from someone who didn't notice the mistakes in Breath of Fire II at all.

I'll definitely put more consideration towards Wild Arms, though.

The thing about the original FFVI translation is that it is fairly competent, enough so that the GBA retranslation doesn't add all that much in the long run. Its not nearly as bad as the original PSX translations of FFV or FFT. Those things were awful and needed to get fixed and due to FFV's low-fi-ness the GBA port doesn't really hurt it at all; although the ridiculously poorly optimized load times on the effects in WotL is just staggering in the WTH department. Either way though, I'm just trying to warn you that FFVIA is definitely a two steps back for a half a step forward deal. If you can't stand going through the opening sequence in the VC edition, it won't be worth it to go through it again with the Advanced edition.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 11:22:22 PM »

I'm tempted to suggest skipping those to play some Shadow Hearts.

We need to get someone else to play that so we can get the SH podcast done.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 08:47:37 AM »

Geez that is a nice selection of games. Normally when I can't decide on a game it is because I have nothing good to play. Of that list I would probably go with Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky or Tales of Symphonia first as those were the two that I enjoyed the most. Not that any of them would be bad games to play.

Regarding Wild Arms, the series is mostly good imo. I haven't played 1 but I believe Alter Code F was a remake and I enjoyed it. Wild Arms 2 and 3 were both enjoyable. Wild Arms 4....oh dear god, I really don't know what was going on in the minds of the writers for this. Or perhaps it would be more accurate to say that I know what was in their mind, but my brain can't process the why so it refuses to accept it. >.> Wild Arms 5 though was absolutely amazing.
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 12:34:22 PM »

LUNAR

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: