Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 28, 2014, 03:06:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329767 Posts in 13518 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  MGS Movie
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: MGS Movie  (Read 3559 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2012, 11:59:12 PM »

Why can't they just make it as a cgi movie? Pixar makes a killing doing it with kids stuff, why can't Columbia do it? The games are already 60% CGI anyway.

I'd actually *love* for Pixar to try their hands at realistic CG instead of the cartoony style.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2012, 10:38:07 PM »

Why can't they just make it as a cgi movie? Pixar makes a killing doing it with kids stuff, why can't Columbia do it? The games are already 60% CGI anyway.

I'd actually *love* for Pixar to try their hands at realistic CG instead of the cartoony style.

And I'd actually *love* for Dreamworks to just fucking stop already. Seriously, for every Shrek, Kung Fu Panda, or How to Train Your Dragon, they crank out half a dozen Planet 51s, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, Ice Ages, and The Loraxs just to name a few. They're almost like Hanna-Barbara (80s era; not the 60s or 70s era) in CGI.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2012, 02:53:13 PM »

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs was awesome though.  The humour was absolutely whack.

I don't think it's fair to say Dreamworks sucks without looking at how each production company has a few fuck ups riddled in.  Bug's Life and Brave aren't particularly memorable titles from Pixar, I'm sure no one remembers or cares to remember Disney's Home on the Range and, to some extent, The Black Cauldron. Dreamworks definitely has a few more to it's name in a shorter period.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2012, 04:18:56 PM »

Hey, I loved Bugs Life and Brave!

But Kung Fu Panda 2 was absolute genius. I usually take Pixar over Dreamworks, but KFP2 was right up there with the best of Pixar. Usually sequels of "underachieving hero" stories are horrible, and backtrack on the character growth of first outing. KFP2 grew the character far more and didn't just rehash. I really applauded that. The original was okay, but it was one of those few movies where the sequel totally outclassed the first.

That said, nothing's going to top Wall-e.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2012, 04:47:45 PM »

Serious question here... does anyone actually LIKE all the bizarre plot elements and characters? To me the series has always had a serious identity crisis. Half of it is this fairly realistic, saga about a hard boiled soldier and a team of experts trying to prevent all-out war. But the other side is this crazy soup of off-the-deep-end pseudo-science, fantasy-land super villains, spirit possession, people who can't die (for a variety of reasons), and re-incarnation. For a story that's supposed to take place in present-day earth, it gets pretty insane. There's more scientific coherency in Xenoblade... and that game world was located on the back of two continent-sized mechs in another universe! The problem is, it would be easy if it were pure fantasy, we could all just call it Kojima's acid trip and be done with it. But the fact that the other half of it seems so grounded in reality is just weird.

I hear people say, "well, it wouldn't be a Metal Gear Solid game without all the bizarre stuff," but is that really true? Would people really miss it if we didn't have a villain who's scars moved? Female fighters who doned animalistic super-suits, evil generals who shot lightning bolts from their bodies? Brain-transplanted niinja super soldiers?  Is anyone saying "that's what makes the MGS series great!" I don't think so.

Here's what's good:
A) Solid Snake & Naked Snake
B) Ocelot
C) Otacon & Other members of the team (sometimes)
D) Sneaking around

Everything else is just shit we have to put up with. I really couldn't care less if there were no fantasy elements at all. You could get all those points across just fine without all the mumbo jumbo. It's just random shit for random shit's sake. If they do a movie, I hope they take it easy on the crazy. And even if they do bizarro stuff, don't try to explain it! Soft Sci-Fi/Fantasy is at its best when the writer doesn't try to explain it. Take a page from Doctor Who... if it's crazy, say it's too complicated to get into and move on with the plot.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2012, 06:19:10 PM »

Is hard to talk about this and getting somewhere where we can agree with.

Every MGS touches one theme and expand its story over that theme pretty much to its limits always having consideration for the fact that the entire series is about "what to pass on to the next generation and how do we live with the errors of past generations", more or less. All of this can sound really dumb to some people but the point of the series was made perfectly clear after the ending of MGS1 and the entirety of MGS2 (which was also suppose to be the last game in the series).

Kojima posted on Twitter a few days ago about the themes, scenarios and enemies from past titles...

・Gene (MGS1) → Meme (MGS2) → Scene (MGS3) → Sense (MGS4) → Peace (PW)

・"What we inherit to next generation". MGS1 was Gene, MGS2 was Meme (cultural gene), MGS3 was Scene (era), MGS4 was Sense (intention), and PW was Peace.

・"Controlling gene" in MGS1, "controlling information in digital society" in MGS2, "cold war structure in 60's" in MGS3, "controlling battlefield in near future" in MGS4, "nuclear deterrence in 70's" in PW.

・Enemies in MGS: We appointed special force in active service (elite) in MGS1, American comic type of superhuman in MGS2, legendary special force (mysterious men) in MGS3, monstrous victims of war (monster) in MGS4, and unmanned A.I. weapons (huge mech) in PW.

With that, all the supernatural stuff that happens in each game is an expansion of the story that every game in the series is trying to present but most people don't get that because lol video games.

Now, how do you put the theme of the series in a movie in a way that can make sense to "normal" people? I have no idea. Because if the intention of the movie is showing what the games are about to people who has bever played the games they are gonna end up doing a movie with the setting of MGS2, which is the climax of story itself in the main series (methinks, anyway). Though, I'm pretty sure that most people isn't going to understand the damn thing unless is told to their faces... besides, there's always the problem that the movie could end up being bad or that the story itself cannot be made into a movie comprehensively because of its expansive format.

Who knows. The only thing I know though, is that MGS is big fat mess that manage to make sense somehow and I love it for it. (*∀`*)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 12:48:29 AM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2012, 02:29:19 PM »

With that, all the supernatural stuff that happens in each game is an expansion of the story that every game in the series is trying to present but most people don't get that because lol video games
Dude, I get it, I think everyone gets it. The problem is that the series beats you over the head with these themes. If you didn't happen to notice that the supernatural stuff is tied to the theme, then you have the comprehension of a toaster. Kojima's biggest problem with exposition is that he has no respect for the audience. We're all 5-year-olds who need every last bit spelled out for us, and re-stated every five minutes. I believe the problem is opposite of what you're saying. The themes are brainlessly obvious... too obvious. It's the plot above and beyond the themes that are a convoluted mess. For instance: I have no idea what's going on, but I'm damned sure it has something to do with Memes, because Kojima explained it to me 2 minutes ago.

I can't decide whether I hate this series or love it. I really enjoyed MGS1 and MGS2. I'm currently playing MGS4 now that I have a PS3. I never cared for MGS3 because I prefer indoor installation sneaking to jungle, but that's just me. I also thought that MGS3 was every bit of a mess as MGS2, and a bit creepier because it took itself even more seriously. But MGS4 is just nuts. I do love the gameplay, but everything about the story is crap. And I gotta say, his portrayal of women is looking pretty terrible these days. They're all depicted as slutty sex fiends. The amount of cleavage is absurd and kind of demeaning. My girlfriend walked in while I was playing and was very disgusted. I was trying to paint a positive picture of the game, but I got to admit, so was I. And when you meet your mother, the only thing she can talk about is a long monologue of her giving birth. MOM, I DON'T WANT TO HEAR ABOUT IT!

Me thinks that Kojima has a pretty low idea of women: baby factories and sex bots.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2012, 04:06:17 PM »

And I gotta say, his portrayal of women is looking pretty terrible these days.

Uh... most of the games Kojima has directed have some pervy stuff in them, that's nothing really new.

Snatcher - Lolicon - PC Engine
Policenauts Part 05: Zero-G Boobs!
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2012, 04:09:30 PM »

Never played anything else by Kojima, besides the first 3 MGS games. Those didn't have anywhere the objectification that MGS4 does, so it's kinda new to me. Well, I'm liking Kojima less and less now.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: