Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 12:47:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327557 Posts in 13410 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  XCOM: Enemy Unknown
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown  (Read 3233 times)
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« on: September 26, 2012, 08:17:16 PM »

Anyone else getting this? I tried out the demo after Kotaku raved about it, and loved it. It was charming, atmospheric and loads of fun. I already have it preordered via Steam. I think I might have played Terror from the Deep years ago, and couldn't get into it, but this re-imagining has me really intrigued.

What I am looking forward to the most is being able to name my soldiers after my friends, and then update them on their virtual fates. :D

IDIOT EDIT: Sorry, my bad, didn't even think to check back for older topics. Rookie mistake. Anyway, feel free to delete or merge topic, I totes understand.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 08:23:43 PM by (Tunnels) » Logged
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 10:54:48 AM »

I want it, don't have time :(
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 05:14:30 PM »

I don't know when I'll get it as I'm playing around 4 games lately but after playing the demo,  its definitely gonna happen.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 06:02:21 PM »

Game of the year for me.  I'm calling it.

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 05:00:22 AM »

You know, despite what I just said I was debating whether or not to get this game now.  I was sure I would get it eventually, but I don't really have time for it at the moment so why not wait.  But then I discovered that Amazon has a deal where you get $15 back if you preorder this game.

Ordered.

Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 01:03:40 PM »

^ditto after this awesome look at the game

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/10/05/test-chamber-xcom-enemy-unknown.aspx
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 06:04:55 PM »

The first X-com was a freakin' staple of my early days as a gamer.... this is coolest thing happening in the western gaming realm this year for me :)

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
mjrpgfan

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 04:26:11 PM »

Seems like a decent turn based cover shooter. The fanbase that seemingly refuses to recognize any tactics game other than x-com is the most irritating thing about the series.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 04:48:17 PM »

If you judge a game by its dumbest fans then all games are terrible...

Even the creators acknowledge other tactics games.

(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 03:06:32 AM »

Just lost my first squad member, and I didn't restart. I shouldn't be feeling this guilty over a game, but also maybe I shouldn't have named him after one of my friends.

*removes cap* He shall be missed.

Anywho, this game is big fun. Definitely one of those games I can dump hours into and never get bored.
mjrpgfan

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 02:28:47 PM »

It's a decent tactics game. Has some camera/control issues (especially on consoles), and a few too many bugs. Combat encourages camping/turtling too much for my liking.
Desert Walker

dimitri_rozokov@hotmail.com bladegolem
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2012, 08:59:48 PM »

What I am looking forward to the most is being able to name my soldiers after my friends, and then update them on their virtual fates. :D

A friend of mine in high school did this with our group of friends in The Sims.  A few weeks in I was scarred for life by the stories I heard. :(

Thread duty:  XCOM seems very interesting and is getting solid reviews.  I have a huge backlog to work on so I don't know when I'll play it, but I'll probably try to buy it within the next few months as a show of support.
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 09:40:16 PM »

A friend of mine in high school did this with our group of friends in The Sims.  A few weeks in I was scarred for life by the stories I heard. :(

Thread duty:  XCOM seems very interesting and is getting solid reviews.  I have a huge backlog to work on so I don't know when I'll play it, but I'll probably try to buy it within the next few months as a show of support.

Same here, at least in terms of backlog; I did end up buying it. I played long enough for one of my friends to be gutted by an alien with scythe-like claws (see last post above). When I told him about it he seemed to take his death pretty well.
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 11:21:58 AM »

So I was pretty deep into the game and I wish to the great maker that there was a manual. I'd love to know more about what the icons on the screen mean and how certain weapons affect certain enemies.

I lost all my squad in a mission gone horribly wrong and I'm going to start over. Well, I was playing an ironman game, I totally fucked up my construction and research paths.

Excellent game. It's well polished and lots of fun. It's also challenging and doesn't pull any punches, even on regular difficulty.

Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2013, 02:48:49 PM »

I'm pretty early in the game in terms of "research" and weapons and I got the skeleton key. Should I ignore the assaulting the base mission in order to beef up my weapons and such?
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: