Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown

(Tunnels)

• Professional Thinger
    • View Profile
XCOM: Enemy Unknown
« on: September 26, 2012, 08:17:16 PM »
Anyone else getting this? I tried out the demo after Kotaku raved about it, and loved it. It was charming, atmospheric and loads of fun. I already have it preordered via Steam. I think I might have played Terror from the Deep years ago, and couldn't get into it, but this re-imagining has me really intrigued.

What I am looking forward to the most is being able to name my soldiers after my friends, and then update them on their virtual fates. :D

IDIOT EDIT: Sorry, my bad, didn't even think to check back for older topics. Rookie mistake. Anyway, feel free to delete or merge topic, I totes understand.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 08:23:43 PM by (Tunnels) »

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 10:54:48 AM »
I want it, don't have time :(

Esper_Crusader

• I love you, Dr. Zaius
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 05:14:30 PM »
I don't know when I'll get it as I'm playing around 4 games lately but after playing the demo,  its definitely gonna happen.
Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 06:02:21 PM »
Game of the year for me.  I'm calling it.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 05:00:22 AM »
You know, despite what I just said I was debating whether or not to get this game now.  I was sure I would get it eventually, but I don't really have time for it at the moment so why not wait.  But then I discovered that Amazon has a deal where you get $15 back if you preorder this game.

Ordered.

Yoda

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 01:03:40 PM »

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 71 Purple-cosmo-ninja-ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 06:04:55 PM »
The first X-com was a freakin' staple of my early days as a gamer.... this is coolest thing happening in the western gaming realm this year for me :)
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

mjrpgfan

• View Profile
    • Tactical Insights
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 04:26:11 PM »
Seems like a decent turn based cover shooter. The fanbase that seemingly refuses to recognize any tactics game other than x-com is the most irritating thing about the series.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 04:48:17 PM »
If you judge a game by its dumbest fans then all games are terrible...

Even the creators acknowledge other tactics games.

(Tunnels)

• Professional Thinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 03:06:32 AM »
Just lost my first squad member, and I didn't restart. I shouldn't be feeling this guilty over a game, but also maybe I shouldn't have named him after one of my friends.

*removes cap* He shall be missed.

Anywho, this game is big fun. Definitely one of those games I can dump hours into and never get bored.

mjrpgfan

• View Profile
    • Tactical Insights
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 02:28:47 PM »
It's a decent tactics game. Has some camera/control issues (especially on consoles), and a few too many bugs. Combat encourages camping/turtling too much for my liking.

Desert Walker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2012, 08:59:48 PM »
What I am looking forward to the most is being able to name my soldiers after my friends, and then update them on their virtual fates. :D

A friend of mine in high school did this with our group of friends in The Sims.  A few weeks in I was scarred for life by the stories I heard. :(

Thread duty:  XCOM seems very interesting and is getting solid reviews.  I have a huge backlog to work on so I don't know when I'll play it, but I'll probably try to buy it within the next few months as a show of support.

(Tunnels)

• Professional Thinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 09:40:16 PM »

A friend of mine in high school did this with our group of friends in The Sims.  A few weeks in I was scarred for life by the stories I heard. :(

Thread duty:  XCOM seems very interesting and is getting solid reviews.  I have a huge backlog to work on so I don't know when I'll play it, but I'll probably try to buy it within the next few months as a show of support.

Same here, at least in terms of backlog; I did end up buying it. I played long enough for one of my friends to be gutted by an alien with scythe-like claws (see last post above). When I told him about it he seemed to take his death pretty well.

Yoda

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 11:21:58 AM »
So I was pretty deep into the game and I wish to the great maker that there was a manual. I'd love to know more about what the icons on the screen mean and how certain weapons affect certain enemies.

I lost all my squad in a mission gone horribly wrong and I'm going to start over. Well, I was playing an ironman game, I totally fucked up my construction and research paths.

Excellent game. It's well polished and lots of fun. It's also challenging and doesn't pull any punches, even on regular difficulty.

Yoda

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2013, 02:48:49 PM »
I'm pretty early in the game in terms of "research" and weapons and I got the skeleton key. Should I ignore the assaulting the base mission in order to beef up my weapons and such?