Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 06:27:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319164 Posts in 13033 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  XCOM: Enemy Unknown
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown  (Read 2895 times)
Annubis

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2013, 03:45:24 PM »

You want to wait. That mission is pretty brutal.
I'd say you want laser weapons on everyone and a support that has 3 medkit if you want to bring anyone home from it.
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2013, 11:26:31 AM »

Yea I got it very early, just after my 1st terror mission?

Is there a time limit to this game? Can I take my sweet time upgrading?

Annubis

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2013, 12:27:45 PM »

The only time limit is as long as you can keep the countries on your side.
Klyde Chroma
Novice Bulimic in training.

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2013, 04:58:34 PM »

Upgraded armor (to whatever you can manage) two assaults with run and gun (plasma weaponry), 2 snipers (plasma weaponry also), a heavy weapons user and freakin' hero of a medic was my recipe for success in the first base mission.... actually that was pretty much my recipe for success for every mission... i can't stress enough the upgraded armor thing though... as soon as you can get decent/improved armor on your troops do so!!

Actually on that note, I prioritized my research early on as such.
1st priority: Armor
2nd priority: Weaponry (for troops only, I didn't even bother with the mobile weapon platform unit types until my troops were all decently equipped)
3rd priority: anything that had to do with craft technology

This allowed me to keep my troops alive, advancing in rank well enough to make latter missions far more manageable.

Another important strategy I found helped me sail through without too much trouble was making an excess of satelites long before actually seeing a need for them. First time through I didn't do this  and, believe me, there will be instances were you WILL need them without enough time to produce and launch them..... next thing you know missions pop up around the globe and you find yourself essentially gritting your teeth deciding which country you don't want to withdraw from the council... 

this signature is Blace's fault...
Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2013, 09:13:26 PM »

Kylde, does upgraded armor take over the usual stuff equipped or does it count as a backpack item?

Klyde Chroma
Novice Bulimic in training.

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2013, 12:55:49 PM »

Kylde, does upgraded armor take over the usual stuff equipped or does it count as a backpack item?

New armor takes over originally equipped armor. The only exception that takes a backpack item spot (that I recall) is the vest that is available very early on. The vest sucks but you can stack the defense bonus from using the vest WITH the armor.... If memory serves the vest only adds like +4 health or something which isn't too helpful later, but earlier on in conjuction with the first armor upgrades it can be pretty useful.

If there was an upgrade to the vest that takes a backpack spot I never got it.

this signature is Blace's fault...
Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Bleaker

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2013, 08:03:33 PM »

Reviving the dead topic, but anyone else excited for the new expansion? Best thing announced at Gamescom so far for me! A new class, more maps, more units, hopefully a bunch of fixes that the game needs. This game will probably keep my Xbox alive for a few months after new console launch.

Laugh and the world laughs with you.
Weep, and you weep alone.
kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2013, 08:44:31 PM »

wait there's going to b an expansion? I know they were making the FPS one but this games been out for quite awhile

Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
Bleaker

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2013, 09:45:25 PM »

Not even a year yet, so its ripe for expanding :D Its called Enemy Within, its standalone for 40 bucks on consoles, and 30 on PC. It adds a lot of new features like mechs, genetic enhancements, a new resource called Meld, 40 new maps to add to the 80 already in the game, this includes UFO's in cities now, which is something I wanted to see in the original.

Overall it looks like Firaxis is taking the quality of expansions of Civilization and putting it in an XCOM. Day one buy for me.

Laugh and the world laughs with you.
Weep, and you weep alone.
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2013, 10:55:06 PM »

....fix the encounter system and this might just be my most anticipated game of the year.

Seriously, I loved EU, but I can't stand the way you encounter enemies and found some horrible glitches that got men killed on my iron man playthrough (literally had a cyperdisk spawn on top of me and another time my sniper blew up his own piece of cover and died on the next turn from a critical across the fucking map). 
kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2013, 12:17:00 AM »

the end game had some some problems with end game encounters like a lot of srpgs, some of the later missions just took forever and you get war of attritioned down.

Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: