Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 10:20:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319738 Posts in 13047 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  A possibly overlooked reason for the downturn of JRPG's sold in the U.S.?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: A possibly overlooked reason for the downturn of JRPG's sold in the U.S.?  (Read 4573 times)
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« on: September 27, 2012, 10:36:51 PM »

Anyone think that maybe the outlandish, 10-word titled games names is a reason people aren't paying attention to JRPG's anymore? I've noticed this with a few friends and family, and even tonight when my cousin saw me come to this site. With all of the crazy long-winded game names I've noticed people can't tell if they're new games, remakes, spinoffs, Japanese release only games, etc. Sure, to RPG aficionados it's easy to keep track of what's what, but the average RPG Joe is confused. Even me with my love for the Tales series... I don't know which ones are new or remakes or what until I spend some time reading up on them. Tales Of Makai Derfault Bravely: Dynasty Spear Version One Special doesn't roll off the tongue quite as easily as say, Borderlands 2 or Skyrim. lol
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 10:38:36 PM by Britton » Logged
TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 10:41:23 PM »

"The God and the Fate Revolution Paradox" rolls right off the tongue!!!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 10:47:42 PM »

You can like, use Google and stuff.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 10:50:12 PM »

If people are avoiding games simply because of the name, then they are idiots.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 11:01:03 PM »

i have friends that used to be rpg players but drifted away when the fps and gta era began. fighting games went through i similar period but im not sure rpg's can make that kind of comeback without either the fps genre having a downturn or a couple series dying out. CoD/Halo

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 11:32:55 PM »

You can like, use Google and stuff.

You overestimate the average American.
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 11:36:12 PM »

i have friends that used to be rpg players but drifted away when the fps and gta era began. fighting games went through i similar period but im not sure rpg's can make that kind of comeback without either the fps genre having a downturn or a couple series dying out. CoD/Halo

Oh yeah, for sure. Thiand also JRPG's got kinda samey and western RPG's that were mostly PC games started coming to consoles and offered up a different experience. Those are the biggest factors, but I'm just bringing up this other factor that I have personally seen myself many times now.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 11:57:18 PM »

You overestimate the average American.

If this is about being lazy and dumb then that's their problem. Info is available at all times nowadays.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 12:21:25 AM »

What RPG has a 10-word title?

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 12:30:45 AM »

Also wondering this. I can't think of many wordy Japanese RPG titles. What have the Tales games become lately? Aren't they usually, at most, three words? Tales of Destiny, Tales of Eternia, Tales of Symphonia, Tales of Vesperia, etc.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 12:44:16 AM »

Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World is the longest name in that series I think, but you could also just call that game "Symphonia 2".
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2012, 12:56:29 AM »

Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World is the longest name in that series I think, but you could also just call that game "Symphonia 2".

That doesn't seem any worse than any sequel to a movie, or even some book titles.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2012, 01:13:59 AM »

Probably the full title for the two Devil Summoner titles. But yeah, most of those with long titles are usually including something like Shin Megami Tensei or Legend of Heroes, and you'll call them by something simpler (like those Devil Summoner games).

And I don't think FPS userbases necessarily have to diminish, they just need to find the people willing to buy JRPGs and sell to them properly. Though getting noticed past those FPS games may be the real problem.

EDIT: Got my second example backwards.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 04:49:16 AM by Eusis » Logged
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2012, 04:27:21 AM »

Yeah, the MegaTen games came to mind, but most of them get shortened to something convenient anyway. Just like no one says The Elder Scrolls before Skyrim, no one says Shin Megami Tensei before Persona, right?

Well, allright, some titles are pretty weird (like Ar Tonelico Qoga: The Knell of Ar Ciel, .hack//G.U Vol 1// Rebirth), but I doubt those game would have had mainstream appeal with shorter titles.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2012, 05:10:05 AM »

Well, allright, some titles are pretty weird (like Ar Tonelico Qoga: The Knell of Ar Ciel, .hack//G.U Vol 1// Rebirth), but I doubt those game would have had mainstream appeal with shorter titles.

Ar Tonelico Qoga will forever go down as the single most baffling rename I've seen though. Every other time I've seen numbers dropped it's either because prior games failed to come over, or it's so detached that it doesn't matter, and we're talking about the final part of a trilogy at that. Well, I guess Super Mario Bros 4 did similar, but that was simply axing that part off of Super Mario World's name and story in Mario's traditionally something Shigeru Miyamoto's forced to be a bare minimum outside of the RPG series..
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: