Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 10:09:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330065 Posts in 13526 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Suikoden 6, Breath of Fire 6, and Wild Arms 6...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Suikoden 6, Breath of Fire 6, and Wild Arms 6...  (Read 9867 times)
GuardianBoi

SOphie!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: September 30, 2012, 01:35:01 AM »

I read this very interesting article about Breath of Fire, Wild Arms and Suikoden and the likely hood or unlikely hood that another installment will ever be made. The article was written about a year and a half ago, and no announcements have been made, so it seems even less likely than before.  But anyway, it got me thinking; Why isn't there more of a demand for these sequels? I mean, a Suikoden spin off is out in Japan right now that I'm sure we'll never see, but that's it.

So, I pose this topic to you all: How badly do you want these sequels? And in what order of importance would you put them in? Keep in mind how times and games have changed in the last 5-7 years--and how the games have changed within the series themselves. (i.e. Wild Arms turning to the hex grid battle system, Breath of Fire V's....interesting choices, and Suikoden's different spin offs)

Here's mine:

Breath of Fire 6: I feel like this series has the most to gain and the most time to make up. I VASTLY did not like Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter. I felt like they took all the wrong steps into a bad direction. If they were to make another sequel, they wouldn't have to change much from the first 4 games, just update them a bit. And they could even keep the same idea of the graphics from before. It would be JRPG gold nowadays!

Wild Arms 6: I have always just loved this series. Even though I didn't exactly LOVE the hex grid battles they became, it wasn't TOO big of a change to get me to stop playing. Plus it has always kept the same themes that I enjoy.

Suikoden 6: The only reason I put this last is because I'm actually somewhat satisfied with this series as it is. I didn't care for number 4, but I feel like they nailed it perfectly with Suikoden 5. So if they left it off on a high note, it wouldn't be terrible. And anything extra would just be a nice treat.

What do you think?

P.S. Here's the article if you'd like to read it yourself. :)  http://rpgland.com/editorials/666-3-rpg-series-needing-number-6/ 

« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 02:17:50 AM by GuardianBoi » Logged

pigTails of...
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 02:03:51 AM »

I'd rub Breath of Fire 6 against my boobs if they ever made it and I held a physical copy in my hands.

Suiko 6 too, and just so they can finish whatever the fuck was up with Yuber and Viki to some extent.

Wild Arms 6 might be a harder sell, but you don't see puzzle-based RPGs anymore, and Red Dead was the last we saw of a Western "RPG" (i.e.; sandbox)

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 02:18:23 AM »

Would be nice seeing BoF 6, but with the way Capcom is now I dunno. I've never got into Suikoden or Wild Arms though.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 04:15:54 AM »

They'd all be for systems I'm probably never going to own so my interest is basically non-existant. That being said:

Suikoden - Played 1 and 3. Not a fan of the series by any means. Pass.

Breath of Fire: 5 was the only one I found genuinely /interesting/, although I do like 4. Another game in the style of Dragon Quarter I'd be really interested in seeing. Another totally by-the-books traditional JRPG? I'm really not interested in seeing anymore of those period.

Wild Arms 6 - I liked 1 and 2, and didn't like ACF at all. Apparently the later games in the series took a more ACFish approach to things. And they also look like they got progressively more... generic anime stuff after the third one. So, again, not something I'm hugely interested in.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 09:23:00 AM »

Suki 6
BoF 6
WA 6

It seems like companies these days want to avoid giving their titles that end in the number 6. I mean, I suppose that if they released them all during the same year then that year would have to be referred to as 666, the year of the beastRPG. :v

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 10:11:53 AM »

Breath of Fire 6 with gorgeous cel-shaded HD graphics. Do it!

I also liked BoF:DQ. I liked how it changed things up. It was an interesting experience.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 11:24:43 AM »

Suikoden 6- This is probably the one that I would most like to see. There are a lot of things from the series that were never addressed like revealing all the True Runes, Harmonia, and the Sindar. Suikoden 5 was a great game and my favorite game in the series. I think this is probably the least likely to ever get a 6th game since they have already moved the name on to a new series and the Suikoden has a lot of material making it less new gamer friendly so the longer it goes without a new game the less it makes sense to continue the storyline.

Wild Arms 6- I found Wild Arms 5 to be a great game. I wouldn't mind seeing another game, but at the same time I think Wild Arms 5 might be a good way to end the series because it was a great homage to the other games in the series.

Breath of Fire 6- Breath of Fire will always be one of my favorite game series because Breath of Fire 1 was my first RPG. I still remember how much joy I got from the first boss fight where it was down to the wire and I managed to win with like 1-5 HP with a crit. I found it so amazing back then. I love the series. However Dragon Quarter.....I hated that game so much. I consider the game to be a spin off and not a part of Breath of Fire proper. So we need a proper Breath of Fire 5 before we even get to Breath of Fire 6.
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 11:51:20 AM »

With Wild Arms at least, I don't really want to know what the story would end up like. The first three had great stories, then the fourth had an odd 'Adults vs Children' thing that seemed really strange, and 5 fell apart at the ending. Did they change writers or something between 3 and 4?
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 12:50:43 PM »

At this point, I'd rather they didn't make a Suikoden VI. It's one thing that the side games they're making now aren't so hot, but a main game this late in? No thank you.

Breath of Fire 6 would be lovely, though. Especially on a console. We don't have enough simple RPGs on consoles these days. How are people supposed to get introduced to RPGs these days when they're all so complex?

Though I suppose another one like Dragon's Quarters or MMX: Command Mission (gameplay-wise) wouldn't be so bad, either.

Wild Arms I have not played at all yet, but I can't get enough of cowboy-western themes, so I probably wouldn't mind another one.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 01:26:26 PM »

How are people supposed to get introduced to RPGs these days when they're all so complex?

They are? I think is relative from person to person and how the game presents itself. Though, if a tutorial is done poorly in a RPG it can end up hurting the experience.

Besides the last thing we need to see is more dumbed down games to appeal "the global market"...
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 01:27:53 AM »

With Wild Arms at least, I don't really want to know what the story would end up like. The first three had great stories, then the fourth had an odd 'Adults vs Children' thing that seemed really strange, and 5 fell apart at the ending. Did they change writers or something between 3 and 4?

4 was pretty depressing.
Most of the adults wound up dead; and in the epilogue, Jude becomes a forest ranger, the chick becomes a teacher, your great magician runs a bar with the child of his dead wife [and your 4th party member]

Sad, sad, sadness.  Fifth I never beat.  Maybe it was the leads, none were really all that appealing and the hex system wore itself thin.

Still sad we haven't seen any more of these series'.

Capcom has pretty much put the nail in the coffin with the "complete" ost and artbook to some extent. 
I wonder if we'll see handheld revivals?

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 07:35:41 AM »

4 was pretty depressing.
Most of the adults wound up dead; and in the epilogue, Jude becomes a forest ranger, the chick becomes a teacher, your great magician runs a bar with the child of his dead wife [and your 4th party member]

Sad, sad, sadness.  Fifth I never beat.  Maybe it was the leads, none were really all that appealing and the hex system wore itself thin.
You forgot the most important part of the ending.

Code:
Jude stayed a kid forever and never became an evil adult!.....Dear god I hated the writing for that game. x_x
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 08:28:58 AM »

Capcom has pretty much put the nail in the coffin with the "complete" ost and artbook to some extent. 

For better or worse, "Complete" collections *never* stop companies from doing more. I have friends who own the Dragon Quest I~VII box set (which was all the DQ that existed at the time). I personally own the DQ I~IX box set. But of course, DQX's soundtrack is on the horizon, and of course it is also fully composed and orchestrated by Koichi Sugiyama.

Weeks after the SaGa box was released, they announced DS remakes for SaGa 2 and 3 with completely new, "upgraded" audio. Now those aren't new IPs, but give it time, they'll make a new SaGa one of these days.

That being said ... Capcom making BoF 6 sounds like a pipe dream. I do believe it'll happen someday. Maybe in the same span of time it took from them to make another movie after Rocky V. Hey, maybe they'll just call BoF 6 "THE Breath of Fire" or something stupid like that.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 10:06:07 AM »

That being said ... Capcom making BoF 6 sounds like a pipe dream. I do believe it'll happen someday. Maybe in the same span of time it took from them to make another movie after Rocky V. Hey, maybe they'll just call BoF 6 "THE Breath of Fire" or something stupid like that.

They can reboot the series (again), but really, if there's a group of people at Capcom that can create a compelling RPG nowadays I rather see them doing a new IP than another BoF title just for the sake of nostalgia that can end up disappointing fans.

I wonder if some of the people that worked on Dragon Quarter is still around though...
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 12:54:55 PM »

Probably not.

The only way we're ever going to see anything BoF related from Capcom these days is if they make some kind of trashy iOS piece of shovelware for the sake of a quick buck.

Hell, I'm still disappointed in their lazy GBA ports of BoFs 1 & 2 (2 really needed a rebalancing at most or a new translation at least and it got neither). Nevermind never seeing their PSP BoF3 port which not only didn't have the excuse of coming out well past the shelf life of the PSP like every other RPG has been doing but that it came out when the PSP was still relatively new and in need of good software to help support it; instead their laziness just perpetuated the lack of support of the PSP and helped expedite the handheld's departure from store shelves everywhere.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: