Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 06:49:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
318868 Posts in 13029 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Suikoden 6, Breath of Fire 6, and Wild Arms 6...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Suikoden 6, Breath of Fire 6, and Wild Arms 6...  (Read 8073 times)
OrsonFury

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2012, 01:31:53 PM »

With the time gone by since these series fifth installment, at this point... I would be more interested in a reboot/remake of their first games. Interestingly enough, I recently read a retroreview at RPGamer for Suikoden that got me thinking quite a bit about the first Suiko game. At the time Suikoden 1 came out there weren't many rpgs out for the ps1 at all, so the game had a lot to work with. I liked how they broke tradition with jrpgs and introduced new cross-gameplay interactions that were innovative at the time. I loved the storyline and character development with the core group members on top of it. If these series are brought back with a sixth installment, I would like to see higher standards of a highly polished game that push quality new development standards.

I didn't play past Breath of Fire 3 and Wild Arms 2, so I can't add much to the discussion of those series aside Suikoden which I played and beat 1-5.

Bottomline: I guess you could say from my thoughts is that if these companies want to add a sixth installment then make the game well on all levels that balance the old and the new. Develop an intriguing storyline, character development, quality maps, dungeons, etc. that compliment the old, while introducing quality camera angles and more. A good comparison for me is they way the Ys series have been ported to the PSP in recent years with quality translations, a new game engine, redesigned menus and maps with Ys: Foliage Ocean in Celceta (remake of Ys Iv: Dawn of Ys/Mask of the Sun). I'm praying that XSEED will confirm officially that they're working an adaption for the U.S. PS Vita soon.

Playing: FFXIII-2 (PS3) and Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS).
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2012, 01:38:48 PM »

If these series are brought back with a sixth installment, I would like to see higher standards of a highly polished game that push quality new development standards.

But you just described what you loved about Suikoden 1 ... which has nothing to do with "high polish." The rough edges weren't dealt with. It was an early-life PS1 RPG with graphics, performance, and the occasional bug to show for it.

What made Suikoden worthwhile wasn't polish, but an intentional innovation. With innovation, it often comes with rough edges and sharp corners.

Methinks what you really want is a game that creates new game development ideas, but not necessarily one that requires "high quality standards." And then hope the new ideas are executed well and work for you (Suikoden), and not something nobody can really get into (the latter half of the Mana franchise)

OrsonFury

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2012, 02:07:04 PM »

Methinks what you really want is a game that creates new game development ideas, but not necessarily one that requires "high quality standards."

Yes, you're correct. I was trying to drive at that simply, but my thoughts got muddled on quality standards. That aside, the love I had of Suikoden 1 was the innovative battle styles that carried over into the game: i.e. army battles, one on one battles, and six player turn based battles and renovating the castle with shops and a bath house. I would like to see Suikoden innovate again, but it sounds like this may not happen as the development team was disbanded.

Playing: FFXIII-2 (PS3) and Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS).
Der Jermeister

G'day, sport!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2012, 05:13:29 PM »

Breath of Fire VI - I like the series enough to play another one, and I would like one with a fantasy setting but V's combat.

Suikoden VI - I wish they would make a proper sequel instead of in-name-only games like Tierkreis and Centennial Tapestry.

Wild Arms 6 - Odd they haven't come out with a new one lately since Media.Vision hasn't gone under yet, and recently made Valkyria Chronicles III.

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2012, 05:50:53 PM »

Probably not.

The only way we're ever going to see anything BoF related from Capcom these days is if they make some kind of trashy iOS piece of shovelware for the sake of a quick buck.

Or Breath Of Fire: The Fighting Game that has a Fucking Dragon in it

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2012, 08:36:17 PM »

ive never played breath of fire.
i do find it amusing that tri ace worked on xiii-2 and media vision worked on valkyria chronicles 3. perhaps they are biding time till they can work on thier own projects again

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2012, 09:14:21 PM »

Probably not.

The only way we're ever going to see anything BoF related from Capcom these days is if they make some kind of trashy iOS piece of shovelware for the sake of a quick buck.

I would approve. Or I would at least approve of them throwing in some BoF characters into a VS. game.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2012, 12:38:16 AM »

ive never played breath of fire.
i do find it amusing that tri ace worked on xiii-2 and media vision worked on valkyria chronicles 3. perhaps they are biding time till they can work on thier own projects again

Eugh, this saddens me. :(
DO YO OWN SHIT, DEVZ

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2012, 09:52:48 AM »

i do find it amusing that tri ace worked on xiii-2...

That might explain some things, actually...

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2012, 06:56:38 PM »

^Unfortunately the story's all Squeenix on that one.

Probably not.

And who are they going to make it with? Clover? BoF's development team? The one guy with any talent they still have left?

Hell. We're lucky they haven't tried to add some fat middle aged cosplaying Ryu and his gold digging hooker partner Nina to Tekken X Street Fighter yet.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2012, 07:39:51 PM »

What made Suikoden worthwhile wasn't polish, but an intentional innovation. With innovation, it often comes with rough edges and sharp corners.

What was innovative about Suikoden 1?

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2012, 07:49:18 PM »

Probably not.

And who are they going to make it with? Clover? BoF's development team? The one guy with any talent they still have left?

Since it's a fighting game, with the same team that made Street Fighter 4.  Same graphics of course, just with a slightly different filter.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2012, 01:18:37 AM »

Probably not.

Since it's a fighting game, with the same team that made Street Fighter 4.  Same graphics of course, just with a slightly different filter.

Then it will never happen because it isn't Street Fighter, Resident Evil, or Monster Hunter.

Also because the nerd rage will be hilarious if BoF gets a fighting game over Darkstalkers.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Jedah
Golden Age Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2012, 12:39:01 PM »

I am actually playing Breath of Fire 3 right now.  Great game and it reminds me of all the charm that old RPGs had back during the SNES And PS1 era.  Sounds like the continuation of the series is rather slim right now.  The video game industry seems to be going through a weird time.  Back during the SNES And PS1 era, I would have never guesses that this popular series would come to a halt. 

Japan seems to be closing up more and more by appealing to their interests only and its understandable.  They aren't making the money they used to with modern JRPGs in the international...or at least, western market.  Still, I think there is hope.  Side scrolling games with crisp sprites and graphics have been making a come back on the Wii (Super Mario Brothers and Donkey Kong).  I think all the players who are now older still have fond memories of the JRPGs of old.  Japan just needs to learn how to balance the amount of influence they have when it comes to the western audience.  What I mean by this is to tone down the amount of things that make sense to Japan only.  No more crazy character art, weird fashion craziness stuff (I am thinking of Quina from FF9), ect.  The western audience isn't in to that as a whole.  Now that many of us have grown up from the SNES/PS1 era when we were kids and teenagers, our tastes have changed.  I don't want to play a hero who is a kid or teenager.  I want to play a character who is a grown person. 

Look at games like Skyrim.  We seem to be on the opposite end of the spectrum from what Japan likes and the western audience.  Its all about finding the balance and I think many of the players who played those JRPGs from before will come back...because they won't have to feel silly playing a game with a character portrait like Quina in front of their friends.

Lastly, JRPGs need to move to another possible platform.  When I was a kid, it was not a worry to play from a handheld device.  Now that I am older, I have kind of moved on.  The solution?  Release JRPGs on a digital platform - something like Steam.  It will cut back on costs from a manufacturing perspective since it will all be digital.  Plus, many of us have embranced PC gaming.  After all, hasn't the MMORPG market become extremely popular?  These thrive on the PC market.  When they release many JRPGs on the PSP or 3DS...it might work from Japan but perhaps not in the same way for the western audience.

Just my opinion.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2012, 01:19:07 PM »

What was innovative about Suikoden 1?

Rune system, 6 character battle system, True ending based on recruiting all 108 characters, the "base" that expands and improves as you recruit more characters, and a save file that transferred to unlock bonuses for its sequel.

Name me some console RPGs, or some *games*, that did any or all of those things before 1995 (Japan) / 1996 (America)

Yeah. For its time it did some pretty damn cool stuff.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: