Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 03:24:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
318867 Posts in 13029 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward  (Read 12601 times)
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2012, 09:51:00 AM »

Also to consider if they implement a mechanic similar to 999 there's every chance you may (just in case someone hasn't played it yet)

Code:
have to make an 'evil' or 'incorrect' decision here or there and go down a wrong path to unlock the right one.

Personally I'm hoping they expanded upon 999's mechanic and require multiple endings to happen before the
right one even becomes an option. Having an ending just cut off on you half-way because you hadn't gone
down another path first was kinda cheap. XP
Annubis

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2012, 12:21:32 PM »

It may be a cheap mechanic but it can be used for great storytelling.
Ever 17 is the golden standard of making you progress slowly through terrible endings, every time getting slightly closer... until BAM!
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2012, 05:17:55 PM »

I'm going to assume you mean for the 'true' ending; because I finally managed to wrangle a working copy of Ever17 and spent the entire afternoon playing through to a single conclusion; which happened to be the 'You Good End'. After all I'd heard I expected a first-time bad ending to be inevitable. XD

Maybe I'm just really lucky. I cracked 999's True (albeit I couldn't finish it due to the lock out) first time around but got the required pre-req on the second and polished it off on the third. I wonder if I'll somehow wind up dodging a Bad end on ZE; about to go pick it up in a while and it's going to be the focus of this evening's game play.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2012, 07:14:26 PM »

Soooo.... anyone get it or are we all waiting a day or so?

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2012, 07:40:55 PM »

I've got it; haven't started yet though. Quite funnily Gamestop has it listed as 'Zero's Escape' in their registry despite the case saying 'Virtue's Last Reward' and the (correct) 'Zero Escape) being just a logo hidden in the corner. Will at least get an hour or two in late tonight.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2012, 08:13:15 PM »

I'm getting it here right now. Had to wait until PSN updated. Depending on how fast the download goes I'll try to at least play half an hour. Maybe get out of the first puzzle room.

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2012, 11:49:18 PM »

Re: ally or betray, depends on the vibe I get from the partner character. Somehow I doubt that too many 'Betrays' brings you down a renegade-like path.... But it would be interesting if it did.

As for actually GETTING the game, EB didn't have it today. :( My 3DS is in the wrong city though, haha.

The full name IS Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward, so GameStop has it correct.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2012, 11:56:43 PM »

Everything comes down to being quite the Renegade for Kyuusei

ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2012, 12:16:37 AM »

@Kyuusei: You read my post wrong. They called it Zero's Escape. Not Zero Escape. Total context change because of the possessive. XD

Well I just spent the past 4 hours playing solidly and reached my first, intentional 'Bad End'. Not as shock and awe as I was hoping but completely in line with the path my character had been choosing. If anyone gets emotionally attached to characters and the story I can say some of the things you'll have to do to reach certain 'Bad Ends' are going to get to you. Hell despite my resolve to go in as coldly as possible I still had some hesitation when hitting that 'Betray' button. And it's not like the game is wagging a finger at you either; this is a very natural, flowing progression of events, emotions, and overall a product of fantastic writing. I can't really say the plot has me as hooked from 'Go' as 999 did; but I think that has more to do with the 'Be a dick' path I chose creating rifts that prevented me from being a part of the more sensitive secrets the characters are packing.

In case anyone is interested: The path I took was Tenmyoji first with a double Betray.

This very much feels like an upgraded 999. The puzzles are a bit tougher (the last escape room I did gave me frustration about on par with 999's 'early-last chapter' puzzles and I have yet to get a Gold Solution), the escape portion mechanics feel smoother, and 'best' of all is the new Flow Chart mechanic. At any point you can pull up a huuuuge branching path tree that doubles as chapter select; allowing you not only to instantly skip to any past portion of the game but it also shows you where the splits in the plot happen. So now random guessing to figure out which combination of options gives you that one ending you're missing. I say 'best' because in truth this does ruin some of the tension and challenge in finding the best ending (although if you want to be really staunch about the 'blind' factor you can always just not use it; just be warned the game flashes it in your face after an ending so you may not get much choice). Out of all the branches there are two that're obviously the longest, so while it doesn't outright say which is the straight path to the true ending I'm willing to bet the solution isn't the 'obvious one'.

Regardless I will completely be researching every other story possibility before gunning for one of the 'true potentials'.

I'm quite happy to say, spoiler free, that a fair amount of my questions before playing this game have been generally answered except for a few; which I imagine I'll find out along other pathways. Just for one playthrough it feels like I processed a ton of information yet barely have a framework of the whole picture. I may actually cut Ever17 out of my play schedule just to make room for more VLR.

Because of the large amount of pathways I'm probably going to avoid talking about anything story specific for quite a while. I imagine it'll at least take a week or two for people here to have played enough paths to discuss story specifics without accidentally ruining too much of the mystery for those interested. I will say this though:

Zero III = Best Character Ever.

Seriously this little bunny isn't too far off from my own personality, right down to the constant stream of bad puns and ability to flip through a book of comedic accents just for the sake of screwing with people; totally wins my heart as one of my top game antagonists. XD And in credit to the writers and the VA they did a great job of actually giving this guy some 'teeth'. Really after the demo and the promos I was laughing about anyone considering Zero III to be frightening or intimidating; but the things they do with his vocal pitch and demeanor presents a deliciously brewed current of unsettling threat.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 12:37:48 AM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2012, 01:12:36 AM »

I clocked in about four hours thus far, and so far so good. ZeronHitaro summed up the points well, especially on how awesome Zero III is. I have a real soft spot for the crazies in games like Luca Blight, Albedo (mainly in Xenosaga I), and Ghirahim.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2012, 01:32:05 AM »

Soooo.... anyone get it or are we all waiting a day or so?

Mandatory wait due to the watch... but that meant I didn't wait on deciding to get the game. Looking forward to it, lots of people seem to REALLY like it.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2012, 02:04:47 AM »

So there's a lot more endings to this than 999... both good AND bad. It'll be interesting to see just how many times I end up having to replay it. ;)

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2012, 06:52:22 AM »

You won't have to replay it like 999 - you can jump between spots on the timeline at will once you've beaten the game once, and skip over whole dialog sections instead of just fast-forwarding.

John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2012, 07:57:48 AM »

Interesting that you think VLR is more difficult than 999, Zeron, because I find the puzzles in VLR to be a lot less obtuse.  Do you need scratch paper? Sure, but few of them leave you with a "WTF am I supposed to do?" feeling like I got in 999.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2012, 11:00:46 AM »

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/10/24/zero-escape-virtues-last-reward-review

IGN is in love.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: