Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 27, 2014, 03:04:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329726 Posts in 13515 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Print
Author Topic: Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward  (Read 14912 times)
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #75 on: November 15, 2012, 10:25:04 PM »

I was going to come and see what everyone thought of this game (still haven't played it). Then I saw massive black boxes. Whoops. I'll come back later :)

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: November 17, 2012, 04:25:05 AM »

That's the problem with games like this. In theory everything is a spoiler so open discussion is hard. XD
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #77 on: November 17, 2012, 11:23:01 AM »

I guess that means I need to just get on the ball and play it :D

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: November 18, 2012, 05:21:01 PM »

I get the same feeling when I see the black boxes... like walking past angry lions at the zoo: you know you're safe, but if the cage wasn't there...

I originally popped in here to see if anyone has experience with capacitive stylus' on Vita in case I were to get one and then buy the Vita version of VLR.  However, I checked the demo again, and the way the camera floats when using touch to manipulate it suggests I won't be gaining much if I use a proper stylus.

If you follow me so far, is this how the 3DS camera works too?  Or does the 3DS touch "grab" the camera and allow you swing it about with precision?  If so, I'm definitely getting the 3DS version.  If it operates the same as the Vita (basically swipe a direction and the camera spins that way until you release) then I might as well get a capacitive stylus and the Vita version for the audio/visual splendor.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: November 18, 2012, 06:27:47 PM »

a friend of mine gave me a 3DS. FOR FREE.

So I was about to buy VLR, but then I heard the 3DS ver has some save file corruption issue ...? Anyone have any more info on this? Any reason I should hold out for Vita to play this?

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: November 18, 2012, 06:28:39 PM »

I heard that as long as you don't save while in a puzzle (room), everything's fine and dandy.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 06:54:57 PM by Annubis » Logged
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 19, 2012, 01:03:57 AM »

a friend of mine gave me a 3DS. FOR FREE.

So I was about to buy VLR, but then I heard the 3DS ver has some save file corruption issue ...? Anyone have any more info on this? Any reason I should hold out for Vita to play this?
As long as you don't save in a puzzle room (or two of them anyways, Crew Quarters and Pressure Exchange Chamber) and only save in novel sections you'll be fine, especially since you can just use the flow chart to back out of a puzzle room, save, THEN go back. Also, if you want to be safe and just get the first one dealt with, well, just
Code:
pick Alice first.

Forget the exact sequence for PEC. There's also lock ups to worry about, but if you save frequently you won't need to worry there.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: November 19, 2012, 01:15:06 AM »

I just realized a plot point that bothered me...

How the fuck did Sigma not realize he was seeing only out of one eye?

Certain plot parts I was reviewing the other day still kinda give me the chills.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 19, 2012, 01:22:29 AM »

Certain plot parts I was reviewing the other day still kinda give me the chills.

That's easy enough:
Code:
It's clearly a cyborg eye-thing, and he perhaps perfected emulating the sight a normal eye would have.

This does not, however, eliminate the question of why he didn't notice that /he couldn't blink./ Maybe
he figured out how to trick the brain into thinking he was blinking both.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 01:41:26 AM by Eusis » Logged
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: November 19, 2012, 01:28:29 AM »

That's easy enough:
Code:
It's clearly a cyborg eye-thing, and he perhaps perfected emulating the sight a normal eye would have.

This does not, however, eliminate the question of why he couldn't notice that /he couldn't blink./ Maybe
he figured out how to trick the brain into thinking he was blinking both.

Reasons like that make me love fiction. 

"But isn't that impossible?"

"Naw, just invent the 'whatever device' and we're good!"

ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: November 19, 2012, 06:43:30 AM »

I don't really think it's that far of a stretch. To elaborate on Eusis' point:

Code:
Any action performed by the body, both voluntarily and involuntarily, is done via a signal sent by the brain. Much
like a computer's wiring and coding. If you know the 'language' it's not that hard to re-program a computer to make it think
every instance of the 'S' key being pressed is really an 'A'; despite an outside observer being able to clearly see that S was
not pressed. Considering the VLE universe has perfected Moon-Base tech, fully functional bio-android and AI tech, and cryogenic
freezing tech; it's not unreasonable that they understand the 'brain language' enough to encode artificial eyes with the proper
'programming code' that confirms the brains 'blink now' command.

In theory it's quite acceptable to believe he wouldn't even know the eye was fake even if he physically touched it. In order to reduce
phantom limb syndrome you could also encode the brain to register the 'touch sensation' to come up as 'natural flesh' rather than
'cold metal'. Again with the whole 'Schrodinger's Cat' thing; Sigma would never know the eye was fake until the box was 'opened',
via looking in a mirror or being told so by an outside source. This manipulation of sense also extents to 'depth perception'. Even if
the eye piece is protruding a bit the touch sense could also be overwritten to give a false measurement of how far out his fingers
were from his eye upon contact; since he has no visual point of reference there's only that one point of manipulated data to go off of.

And it's not like anyone would say anything about it either. Do you go up to the hook-handed man and go 'Dude...you're kinda
missing something there.'? It's that whole weird societal unwritten rule about people with mangled, missing, or fake limbs:
Don't stare, don't ask, don't even talk about it in ear shot unless that person has brought it up first and is comfortable with it.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 06:46:57 AM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: November 19, 2012, 08:45:03 PM »

EDIT
EDIT
EDIT

Ok, WTF is the spoiler tag?  Its not spoil or spoiler....
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 20, 2012, 05:01:38 AM »

It's [ code ]. Quoting and setting the text black works too.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: November 20, 2012, 05:16:20 AM »

We just use [ quote] [color= black] [ /color] [/ quote], makes for better spoiler tags.

ANYHOO. I just spent about 9 hours (something I just noticed and made me chuckle) tonight finishing this game. I got to the point where endings were coming thick and fast and I couldn't stop.

Big black boxes of DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM:

First of all, I really enjoyed this game. I think i'll enjoy it even more when I've fully digested it. It's pretty much been all of my spare time these past few days. I am still processing, so let me just throw somethings out there and other people can fill me in or speculate with me.

Phi/Phido, remains a complete mystery. All I know of her is she can speak basic Latin and...that's about it.

Sigma/Siggy. I knew something was up, and I knew there was going to be a reveal regarding who he really was. Due to A) Having no voice over and B) The game making a particular point of never showing his face while he was inside Rhizome 9. It stilli shocked me that he was Zero and an older version of himself  (though I distinctly remember Dio calling him an old fart at one point). Replaying some scenes in my head with his new face makes Sigma turn into a VERY creepy old man. A 60 year old man with greasy long hair and a bionic eye who has to speak in cat puns when they are mentioned and is rather pervy? YEAAAAAH, no thanks.

Clover/Cleaver. I felt a weird disconnect from 999 Clover and VLR Clover. Perhaps it was the voice acting, in my head in 999 she had a childish voice, but she had a clear intelligence behind it. In this she just sounds a bit like a bimbo. Also what the flying fudge factory is the deal with her being so "betray" happy. Especially the one against Alice, I just find it hard to believe she could be convinced to vote betray against her. Not to mention just general betrayal if it meant getting her BP to 9. I'm not saying her thinking that outside help is stupid though, obviously she didn't know she was on the moon, in addition to that though, technically the first Nonary game, she was saved because of Seven, who wasn't part of the games. So she has a basis to believe that it isn't impossible that they can escape without "completing" the game so to speak.  

Alice/Alas. I gotta say I don't know what to think. I was so happy to see Alice in the game, i was like "woah, this gonna be good", but all that happened is making me feel like the whole Ice-9, Egyptian mummy thing was a complete waste of time. Also, I'm sorry, but I don't see how what she was wearing in the Nevada desert when the 999 gang came across her is in anyway appropriate attire for investigating a religious cult. Well, she's also a math whiz, in much the same way that Lotus was a computer programmer.

Tenmyouji/Tenmyoldy/Junpei. I had a feeling it was him. Not from the start though, I definitely needed some clues. I was never totally convinced though, just because the nature of the game can sometimes make you feel very clever for figuring something out and then go "Ah-ha, you think your smart, well yer wrong sonny." Sigma's cyberknetic arms being the biggest example. My first run of the game landed me in the Gaulem Bay, so I was aware of the possibility of a robot (or at one point I thought the entire cast were robots), only to think I was right when he cut his hand in another time line. Then being proven wrong by Luna revealing that only his arms are like that.

Luna/Moony. My fucking favorite character, her ending is the only one that made me tear up. The writer is very fond of love interests with AI's I've come to realize, such is the case with Ever17 as well. Luna is just so sweet, and I felt genuinely bad whenever I betrayed her (for completions sake). Her being a gaulem was surprising to me, I was expecting/dreading a reveal that she was an evil scientist (the allusion to some mysterious "medical license" while not being a doctor or a nurse), but no, she stays a force of good and I'm glad because of it. Her deteriorating in Sigma's arms broke my heart. Side note: Are we to assume that Luna was the robot built to be Kyle's mother? I think she was, considering how Kyle rejected her completely and ignored her, and Luna talking about her desperate loneliness. How sad. Side side note: Who gave her her Blue Bird Necklace/Music Box?

Quark/Quirk. ????????? A nuisance of the highest order. Nothing but trouble. Interesting note, Quark was never a part of the AB project. He has nothing special about him, and is not helpful to Sigma in any way. The only reason he is there is because Tenmyouji demanded it. It makes me wonder...who would have been the 9th person if Quark wasn't there? You need 9 people to play the Nonary Game, if Quark didn't exist, would they have just kidnapped some other random stranger?

Dio/B.O. Ugh, slimeball. Hated him through and through. I guess the game double tricked me. I expected him to be a good guy, because of how obviously he was an asshole, but nope, asshole til the end. Did he ever once pick "ally" in the Ambidex game? I don't think he did.

K/Akane/Kyle HARD CHARACTER TO TALK ABOUT. HAVE TO BREAK DOWN.

1. Akane. Apocalypse hasn't been kind to her. She is a woman driven by a mission. She is hard around the edges now, but at least we know she hasn't completely lost her warmth. Her raising of Kyle and her affection for him shows she hasn't completely lost her humanity. I guess 45 years has allowed her to brush up on her physics as well. I think she's an honest progression for the character. if she was still light and bubbly after the world has been ruined and she has had to figure all this shit out, I wouldn't believe her

2. Kyle. I think we spend the least time with him in the entire game. At one point I realised that I hadn't had K as my partner for any of the doors, until eventually I did on the path leading to his ending. The scene at the very end, in the hidden ending also doesn't reveal much about him. Is he even Kyle at that point? It just says "?". From the way Akane was talking, I wouldn't be surprised to see a return of##########EVER17 SPOILER DONT LOOK IF YOU HAVE YET TO PLAY########Blick Winkel.

Zero III/Zero Jr/Lagomorph. It's hard to be both funny and creepy as a villian, but Zero Jr is just a fucking amazing little character. I'm so sad that he wasn't more important than he was in the end. It makes me wonder why he was given such a creepy personality in the first place. I guess to make the players even more on edge.

That about does it for characters I think. Except older Sigma, but we never actually talk to him, so...

I'm very tired, it's 10am and I haven't slept yet so if much of this doesn't make sense, you know why.

The last thing I want to say is. You know that scene, where you are talking to young Akane and the annihilation reactor has just blown up and she says you lost your arms and your eye and then it does a VERY FUCKING QUICK shot of Sigma with those scary ass robot arms? Yeah, fuck that. Nightmare fuel.

EDIT: Actually I'm not done. Am I the only person who expected Nona to be in this game? She is the only other child from the 1st Nonary game to be mentioned but not actually be part of 999 or VLR. Strange.

EDIT EDIT: HAHAHAHA, NOPE. STILL NOT DONE. The last secret file gives a hint that the bomb codes arent random and give a message if you move up 1 letter of the alphabet for each. I did that, for anyone who can't be bothered it says "my brother crash keys freez soul myrmidmos"
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 05:30:58 AM by Starmongoose » Logged

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: November 20, 2012, 11:41:31 AM »

Haha that stunned me a bit too, but the goofy face on young Sigma when he saw he had one eye and two robo arms kinda subverted it.  I loved that whole cutscene; I loved having just a PILE of epilogues to go through. Naw, I think my nightmare fuel was in Clover's ending.. Her 999 one did it too, but VLR's did it because you see *everyone* either dead from suicide or perhaps being killed.  It was really late when Phi started to talk 2x the speed in the Security Office, that was out of left field and scared me.

I was still disappointed for such a heavily voiced game and for a well-acted game, Sigma had no voice.  Spoiler be damned, if he didn't realize he had a missing eye, couldn't they have just given him a young voice till he finds out he's 70?  A little wave of fiction-magic could have handled that, like his young voice "was all in his head" or some shit.  I just found it kinda distracting that only *he* had no voice...  and I have no qualms with listening to Troy Baker for all 40 hours of gameplay.

I hated Quark too.  I guess because he contributed so little, being unconscious more often than not; but I'm glad he was there for Tenmyouji when he was still pining for Akane.  ...I actually expected some twisted darkside from him, like when Dio accused him of hitting Betray...but nada.  Which reminds me, seems Akane still cares for Tenmyouji, which is cute in an old-people way.

Akane was great though.  I'm glad that passed her plans for revenge against the original Nonary game creators she's trying to "save the world" now.  She made for a lovely 20-something-year-old too.

Tenmyouji I did have a feeling of... but I loved his response when you get to the "Q" door.

Alice was definitely underwhelming... Clover too, to some extent.  I agree with the voice, Wendee Lee's voice also just annoys me these days.  With both girls (more so Alice) as super secret agents, I hoped for more out of them -- but it sounds like they'll be back for Round 3.

Dio was a great shit.  Definitely curious about the identity of Brother, and if the next title is dealing with a similar morphogenetic-fielder, I'm curious what kind of shit storm that will brew up.

I think Luna has actually become the fan favorite.  She has not an evil thought in her (aside from the extremely ambiguous "game over" en route to her ending where she takes Quark and abandons you and Phi for whatever reason).  MILKEVOLI was a cute password too [read it backwords].  She was always trustworthy, and could make you feel like hell for betraying her.

I think the series knows its popularity to the extent that it *feels* like a lot of this is being set up for ZE3.  Some books seem to do this too.  The first book wraps up pretty nicely, but when there's demand for more, a sequel has a plot that relates to its "threequel".  I'm especially curious in regards to the Mars mission and, if it's where Rad-9 initially comes from, how many more creepy ass ending will happen from that.  Definitely looking forward to who K might be, I liked him a lot.

In regards to Nona: I guess she became a conspirator?  Didn't Clover say something to that effect most of the Nonary-1 players had joined Brother?  I  liked the Crew Quarters easter egg (the belly button moon decor), but I'm sad that Lotus, Seven, and Snake were missing completely.

GameFaqs's forums for the game have been really good about addressing extra questions and theories

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: