Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 03:07:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327202 Posts in 13394 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Pope Gets Rid of Limbo
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Pope Gets Rid of Limbo  (Read 1652 times)
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« on: October 04, 2006, 02:53:54 PM »

So, the Pope Got Rid of Limbo.

This is all that has to be said:

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 03:30:30 PM »

o_O  As a Catholic, I must say that for a transitional pope Benedict is doing his best to screw up everything.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 04:06:56 PM »

Damn, I remember playing that game all the time when I was little.

[/url]
Angelo
Sephiroth's Girlfriend

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 04:43:26 PM »

How does getting rid of limbo screw things up?  Is heaven not big enough for the unbaptised?

Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 08:42:05 PM »

Quote from: "Angelo"
How does getting rid of limbo screw things up?  Is heaven not big enough for the unbaptised?

Oh, other than making comments that piss off a good 20% of the world or so and tossing aside beliefs of the church seemingly on a whim, I guess it's not like he's done anything out of the ordinary in the little under a year he's been around.  I just hope he doesn't manage to eradicate Catholicism by the time the next pope comes to power. :|

This issue in particular is certainly a lighter, gentler approach, but I've always adhered to the saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

the2na

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 10:31:00 PM »

This is what my religion has always believed so it doesn't affect me at all. This has always been the number one thing that I've thought has been messed up with other religions, so I'm glad they've changed it.
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 11:37:54 AM »

Quote from: "Ryos"

This issue in particular is certainly a lighter, gentler approach, but I've always adhered to the saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

So you prefer religious dogma then?

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 01:56:28 PM »

Yaaay for formal abolishment.

No seriously -- how the hell does this even work? :P It's not as if you can measure if Limbo actually exists or not.

"Hay guys, we're cancelling Jesus. We can't prove he walked on water!"

Man... Talk about ridiculous.
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2006, 04:20:11 PM »

Quote from: "the2na"
This is what my religion has always believed so it doesn't affect me at all. This has always been the number one thing that I've thought has been messed up with other religions, so I'm glad they've changed it.

Same. Not surprising considering we're both from Utah.

Really, the politics are what make this somewhat funny to me. "Wait, in Islam dead babies go straight to Heaven, let's make it so dead Catholic babies can do the same!"

But frankly I don't care what the pope does to his own religion, so meh.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2006, 05:02:55 PM »

o_O As a Catholic, I must say that for a transitional pope Benedict is doing his best to screw up everything.

As a Protestant who has a strong respect for and understanding of Catholicism (both historically and in today's time), I think this "transitional" pope is doing a great job at cleaning up much of the mess that was the medieval era.

As the article states, "limbo" was never *officially* part of Catholicism in the first place...so it's not like abolishing it killed off anyone's beliefs.

In fact, since Vatican II accepts "separated brethren" (protestants, other religioius folk) as people that may well make it to heaven (after some time in purgatory, most likely), it would only make sense that unbaptized infants could join the crew.

As for his "making comments that piss off a good 20% of the world" -- no, no, and no. It pissed off extremist Muslims, who generally are on a continual search to FIND things that will piss them off. What Benedictine said in that speech was offensive only to people who didn't take the time to understand what it was he was saying. The man was not at fault.

For being Catholic, you sure do seem to suck at understanding what's going on around you, eh? Unfortunately, that's seemed to be my impression of Catholic folk as a whole. The "elite," the intellectuals, and those who actually care about doctrine and the wellbeing of the world around them, are pretty cool, but they're also few in number. The rest are just nominal Catholics who fear change...I hope you're not one of those!

Now that I've set myself up for flaming, I'll wait for responses.

Ramza

Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2006, 08:46:15 PM »

I'm your typical apathetic Catholic.  I go to church every Sunday but don't really bother with overanalyzing Christianity (Catholicism and otherwise) beyond school-related stuff such as my religious studies courses and papers concerning religious subjects (of my three papers for my master's program, two are on religious topics in an historical setting).  

I know that this particular belief was an antiquated belief vaguely brought up many years ago, but the fact of the matter is that's irrelevant to my beliefs.  Based on my own personal experience the entire perception of limbo makes sense since it offers an explanation for the manifestation of earthly spirits.  Thus the abrupt change of pace from someone who purports to be a conservative makes little sense to me.

The whole 20% thing was an exaggeration.  I read the comments and personally saw nothing wrong about them, but that doesn't stop Muslim extremists from distorting what he said.

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2006, 06:07:03 PM »

That'd be a reasonable reply. Sorry for saying you suck at Catholicism, I appreciate the explanation. ^^

OMFG RPGFan boards are filled with love and understanding and not stupidity (like other boards!).

Back to my pregnant wife...

Ramza

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: