Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2014, 04:18:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331919 Posts in 13590 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Disney Buys Lucasfilm
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Disney Buys Lucasfilm  (Read 3843 times)
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2012, 01:46:12 PM »

Lucas was always terrible with star wars. Episode IV was a fluke, then V and VI had scripts written by different people. Lucas has always been a good conceptualist, but a terrible writer. Some of the dialog in Episode IV is absolute dishwater. It survives only because of its unique charm. He had less of a direct impact on V and VI, and they had some really good people calling the shots. I-III had Lucas back at the helm, and it showed. Getting him out will be a great step forward. JJ Abrams wouldn't be bad, he's done a good job taking over where Spielberg left off. Just... please, leave the Michael Giacchino at the door! Some director/composer duos are a match made in heaven (Burton/Elfman), Abrams/Giacchino isn't one of them. Giacchino taking over Jerry Goldsmith was bad enough, taking over John Williams would be a crime. Look, he's not a bad composer, and sometimes he's downright amazing (LOST), but he hasn't done a single score that I found to be really forward and calls attention to itself, which Star Wars has always had. Giacchino is more of a "stay in the background" sort of composer, which isn't always a bad thing, but it's not what Star Wars needs (or Star Trek for that matter). Star Wars is practically an opera, the music is just as central as the characters!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 01:51:26 PM by Prime Mover » Logged

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2012, 04:51:47 PM »

I've never thought of the opera angle. I'm pretty sure IV has a continuous soundtrack. I can think of tons of scenes in that movie and immediately associate the soundtrack with it. Despite cheesy lines, IV had the benefit of at least having good and sincere delivery. I believed that Luke is a hopeful youth caught up in adventure, etc.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2012, 06:24:16 PM »

What doesn't help Episode IV's case is the vast majority of JRPGs adhering to the same story formula like the adhesive of a sales tag to the cover of a pre-owned videogame. And a couple even managed to do it better.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2012, 06:38:48 PM »

What that has to do with anything... is anyone's guess.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2012, 07:42:33 PM »

What doesn't help Episode IV's case is the vast majority of JRPGs adhering to the same story formula like the adhesive of a sales tag to the cover of a pre-owned videogame. And a couple even managed to do it better.

The monomyth. It's a natural fit for most video games.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 07:45:02 PM by Eusis » Logged
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2012, 06:42:28 AM »

They didn't invent it, and no one claims they did. The chinese have their Kung Foo masters and monks, the Japanese have their Samurai, europeans have similar stories in our knights.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2012, 01:24:17 PM »

They didn't invent it, and no one claims they did. The chinese have their Kung Foo masters and monks, the Japanese have their Samurai, europeans have similar stories in our knights.

Nor did I say they did either. Hell I assumed it was common knowledge that the concept for Episode IV was swiped from the Japanese movie The Hidden Fortress among other things (which once again borrows from the monomyth).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2012, 01:57:32 PM »

Michael Arndt to write Screenplay for Star Wars: Episode VII -- Source: StarWars.com
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2012, 01:59:29 PM »

Interesting match.  But hey, if what's his name could do an apparently outstanding job with Skyfall, I'd like to see this.

...something tells me we'll see a post about creative differences at some point though.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2012, 08:16:21 PM »

I think Arndt is skilled at creating quality characters and good dialogue. Those are both things that Star Wars sorely needs-- I'm really quite excited to see where this goes. I haven't been this optimistic about Star Wars since I was a little kid waiting for Phantom Menace.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: