Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 08:38:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334682 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  They're discontinuing Buckyballs!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: They're discontinuing Buckyballs!  (Read 3855 times)
Desert Walker

dimitri_rozokov@hotmail.com bladegolem
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2012, 10:40:23 PM »

I knew some of the back story behind this so it's not surprising to see this happen.  They fought the government and the government won. :(
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2012, 11:38:13 PM »

The US puzzles me. It seems like you guys are trying to ban everything from Soda to toys because of the potential harm they may cause. I even heard that microwaves have a safety label on them after some woman tried to dry her cat in one, then there was that whole "sue McDonalds for having hot coffee" business. Yet, somehow you guys still insist on having easily accessible guns and wonderful products like this. Because that's obviously the safest place for your shotgun to be, at arms reach for sleepy papa, little Timmy and even Fido. I know the world is full of absurd crap like this, but I just don't get it.

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2012, 02:07:50 AM »

The cat in the microwave thing is an urban legend.  Snopes.

This buckyball thing really upsets me because it's a very clear case of the nanny state gone too far.  Here's a product that was never intended for children, is very clearly labeled that it's not for children, and the company that makes it has always been vigilant about keeping it away from children (refusing to sell it to stores that display it in the same aisle as children's toys, etc), but thanks to a handful of negligent parents who let their kids play with them anyway it has to be banned from anyone anywhere.  That's insane.  Adults can play with magnets without swallowing them.  It's not that hard.

I feel like some bureaucrat was bored and decided to randomly do something to justify his position so now we all have to suffer.  It's that arbitrary.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2012, 09:00:58 AM »

The US puzzles me. It seems like you guys are trying to ban everything from Soda to toys because of the potential harm they may cause. I even heard that microwaves have a safety label on them after some woman tried to dry her cat in one, then there was that whole "sue McDonalds for having hot coffee" business. Yet, somehow you guys still insist on having easily accessible guns and wonderful products like this. Because that's obviously the safest place for your shotgun to be, at arms reach for sleepy papa, little Timmy and even Fido. I know the world is full of absurd crap like this, but I just don't get it.

The sueing for the hot coffee was legit. They should have been sued, not because the woman spilled it on herself, but because of the temperature of the coffee. They kepted (EDIT: kepted,, really Star? Really. Drink more tea before posting).  the coffee as such a scalding heat, that the lady who spilled it on her lap had her flesh practically melt off. I saw a picture of the damage, not a pretty sight.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 01:28:55 PM by Starmongoose » Logged

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Desert Walker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2012, 12:16:28 PM »

I don't think of it as particularly absurd.  The the rest of the developed world is banning everything from soda to toys because of potential harm they may cause, the US is simply following suit but not allowing the nanny state to over-extend itself in regards to one particular category.  Frankly, I'm happy the citizens of the US (or rather, the citizens of certain states in the US) put their foot down there.

EDIT:  If it seems any more consistent to you, the area trying to ban large sodas (NYC) has some of the most strict gun laws in the country.

Quote from: Kevadu
I feel like some bureaucrat was bored and decided to randomly do something to justify his position so now we all have to suffer.  It's that arbitrary.

I can't help but wonder if the government coming down on Buckyballs so hard had something to do with them being the first company to contest a ruling in over a decade.  It smells of trying to make an example of them.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 12:29:03 PM by Desert Walker » Logged
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2012, 12:29:16 PM »

Funny enough, bottled water has killed more people in the last 2 years than buckyballs.
Yeah, this seems more like someone on a power trip than a logical conclusion.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2012, 01:21:11 PM »

This buckyball thing really upsets me because it's a very clear case of the nanny state gone too far. 

Fuckin seriously.  It really is retarded nanny state bs.  Reminds me of the South Park episode where a woman gets sucked down the toilet so now all the toilets get bars put across them so you don't fall in.  They went above and beyond telling people that there were not kids toys and it still didn't matter. 

Quote from: Kevadu

Agreed.  I feel like someone was probably running acting and yelling like Helen Lovejoy.

The sueing for the hot coffee was legit. They should have been sued, not because the woman spilled it on herself, but because of the temperature of the coffee. They kepted the coffee as such a scalding heat, that the lady who spilled it on her lap had her flesh practically melt off. I saw a picture of the damage, not a pretty sight.

Indeed it was.  She had tons of first degree burns and had to have many skingraph surgeries to repair her skin.  To this day, I would bet the majority of Americans still mistakenly believe it was a frivolous lawsuit thanks to all the news this case received back then.  There's a documentary about it and similar cases, I'm pretty sure.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2012, 02:22:26 PM »

Actually, the woman recieved multiple second and third degree burns. First degree burns would have been laughed out of the courthouse. :P

Also, the story about a woman trying to dry her cat in a microwave is just that - a story. It's an urban legend.

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2012, 02:29:18 PM »

I knew I should have googled the degree of burns before I posted.  I thought about it, then decided first sounded right.  Hah.  Thanks for the correction.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2012, 02:52:39 PM »

And she originally asked McDonalds for a pretty small amount of money ($20,000 if I remember correctly), to cover medical expenses and such.  She only asked for more money when they totally blew her off.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2012, 03:05:27 PM »

The sueing for the hot coffee was legit. They should have been sued, not because the woman spilled it on herself, but because of the temperature of the coffee. They kepted the coffee as such a scalding heat, that the lady who spilled it on her lap had her flesh practically melt off. I saw a picture of the damage, not a pretty sight.

Indeed it was.  She had tons of first degree burns and had to have many skingraph surgeries to repair her skin.  To this day, I would bet the majority of Americans still mistakenly believe it was a frivolous lawsuit thanks to all the news this case received back then.  There's a documentary about it and similar cases, I'm pretty sure.

And there's another problem right there. The damages were real and so was the lady's case but not only did McDonald's try to downplay the incident as a mere frivolous lawsuit but the media sided with them in perpetuating the misconception. Even though the judge got to make the call on that one the truth of the matter was lost to a lot of people.

Also the soda ban is fairly different in that it's a state level decision and not a national one. You can easily (metaphorically speaking) head to New Jersey to grab a Big Gulp (of seawater).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2012, 03:06:45 PM »

I knew I should have googled the degree of burns before I posted.  I thought about it, then decided first sounded right.  Hah.  Thanks for the correction.

Yeah, first degree is, uhh, a sun burn. You'd probably cause more damage getting skin grafts for that than the sun actually inflicted. :P But yeah, the pictures were BAD, so it wasn't even like she got second degree burn and made a big deal over them.

As for the soda: I'm pretty sure it's CITY based, not even state wide. Of course, the city in question is New York City, so it's not like a state capital like Harrisburg did this.
Desert Walker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2012, 03:32:37 PM »

On the subject of warning labels, I think my personal favorite is one I saw on a chainsaw recently warning you to 1. not turn the chainsaw on while holding it next to your leg and 2. not operate it while drunk.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2012, 10:28:12 AM »

Oh, that stuff looks awesome! I don't think it's available in the Netherlands, but I kind of wish it were. We do have Geomag, which I guess is a safer (but equally cool)  type of magnet toy.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2012, 12:52:02 PM »

On the subject of warning labels, I think my personal favorite is one I saw on a chainsaw recently warning you to 1. not turn the chainsaw on while holding it next to your leg and 2. not operate it while drunk.

Haha makes sense!

I always get annoying on the subway, where you basically see a warning for every goddamn move you might make.
- Please, hold on to railing.
- Please, mind your step.
- Please, do not move while vehicle is in motion.
- Please, mind the gap when subway arrives at the platform (which is like, to scale, this ___________________ wide in real life).

Even when a coffee cup warns you it's hot.... guaranteed because some asswipe sued for things in life that should kind of obvious.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: