Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 26, 2014, 11:12:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327466 Posts in 13409 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  it happend to you that you stop play because you use faq?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: it happend to you that you stop play because you use faq?  (Read 5521 times)
salinger

View Profile

Ignore
« on: October 08, 2006, 02:07:53 PM »

hi you all guys! i one of those wierd that sudeen start to play phantasy star iv and i got stuck on it really long time (in the demon tower) i speak to anyone in each planet touch evreything but really dont have clue...

so without really choice i use in faq for it but now that i use the faq it really hurt in my wish to finish it i feel dunno like i not really beat the game it happend to you once?
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 02:13:06 PM »

I know english is not your first language....but I have no idea what you just said.

I think you're wondering that if we have ever used a FAQ, does it ruin the game for us?

My opinion....no. I've used FAQs and guides before (I always use them for Suikoden games) and yeah it might spoil the story....but a good FAQ doesnt have to spoil anything.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
salinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 02:22:47 PM »

so you understand after all don't you? :) and yes it not my first one me first is hebrew but one of the reason im here is because the fact that i wont to improve me english

but for some wierd reason i dnon't have single problem to understand what you said :)
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 03:06:35 PM »

Reading is usually easier than writing. So many rules to keep track of...

Using a FAQ has never ruined a game for me. I just want to enjoy the game and I don't really care about beating a game all on my own.
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 03:32:27 PM »

Nah.  I think it's more frustrating to be stuck, try everything short of using a sledgehammer, and have no recourse.  Besides, sometimes I simply don't have the time to be stuck in a spot in a game for weeks on end, so I see nothing wrong with getting some help.

There are games out there that I would have had a hellish time beating without the help of a FAQ or walkthrough.

I approve of this nonsense!
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006, 03:49:51 PM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"
Besides, sometimes I simply don't have the time to be stuck in a spot in a game for weeks on end, so I see nothing wrong with getting some help.

Exactly.

A lot of us are getting on in our years....meaning we're not in our teens and early 20s anymore...so we cant really afford to stay up all night playing games (even though we still do it), or spend our afternoons playing away.

FAQs have helped me to make it through games that would normally have taken hours on end. Dragon Quest VIII is a prime example. I bought the guide with the game and I am very happy I did.

Oh....and if I have a good experience with a game (good run though and it didnt take me 100+ hours to just get through the main story) my replay value for that game goes up a lot.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Bogatyr
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006, 04:06:45 PM »

Yes, it happened with me all the times I used a FAQ. Actually, I did not stop playing everytime I used it, but always I lost impetus to keep playing. Mostly, playing becomes a drag, and I just wish to beat the game the soonest.
With DQVII I used, and the game was so damn long, that the drag became too much and I ended up giving up. Another example is Tales of Phantasy, I used and soon after gave up.
But other than that, as I said, I just keep playing the game fairly dismotivated.
It sucks, but there is not much I can do about.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006, 06:20:58 PM »

Not anymore.

Back in the day (before college), I would probably say it did ruin it to a degree.  I had tons of time on my hands and not enough games to play.  So if I was stuck, I just tried to figure it out until I got it.  

Now, I don't have enough time and more than enough games to play.  So now a days I would probably look to a faq and care less.  Lately however, some people make faqs and do not mark spoilers.  If it gets spoiled, I lose most interest in a game.  Though if there are no spoilers, a faq itself will not make me lose interest (assuming I don't read ahead).

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2006, 06:26:55 PM »

I think a Faq only really ruins the game if you obsessively follow it or, of course, if the writer is stupid and fails to mark the spoiler or at least embeds it too deeply to be avoided. More often than not, I've been using Faqs to get a rough idea of how far into the game I got - how many sections there are in the walkthrough itself, and at what point I'm at. I also tend to hit FAQs for finding sidequests in RPGs since I don't want to go through the trouble of talking to every character at the end game or whatever.
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2006, 10:00:07 PM »

Sadly it does slightly ruin a game for me, and I get this notion in my head that I didn't *really* beat the game, that I cheated somehow. It's all psychological, I think we just need to learn to get overrrrr it.

Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2006, 10:02:35 PM »

I use GFaqs if I actually need to know something.  I've learned that strategy guides typically suck ass if you're going for completion.

I reference Suikoden V and Final Fantasy X-2's guides for reference.  Both can screw you out of a perfect game.  And both games require completion for a good ending.

demifiend

eqrunnerguy
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2006, 11:36:30 PM »

If you use it to get past the ball-busting parts, then thats fine. But if you follow it step-for-step, you're basically letting it play the game for you. For the most part, I use them for optional stuff, like the endgame dungeons in Star Ocean: TTEOT. However, I still maintain that Nocturne should have come bundled with the strategy guide, as some dungeons (Great Underpass of Ginza, much of the final dungeon) were too exhausting for words.

... You have created a demon of your heart's designs, fallen angel? Then doom shall set us apart... now and forevermore... -YHWH (?), Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

CURRENTLY PLAYING: Mass Effect (again!), Persona 3, Lost Odyssey
RECENTLY COMPLETED: Mass Effect, The World Ends With You
ANTICIPATING: Dragon Age, White Knight Chronicles, Wrath of the Lich King, Fallout 3
QUEUED: Lost track!
salinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2006, 12:52:29 AM »

hehe it feel good to know that i not the only one to feel like that.
beside for ne huge part of the problem is the random battles. i mean really! it not only excuse! the   exploration in order to find what to do become really chore and tired.

ps. i hope you all not will need to use faq to understand what i write
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2006, 01:10:23 AM »

Your English isn't perfect, but you do seem to have a good grasp.  At the same time, you made a pretty funny joke, so I'd say that's even more of a sign that you're doing quite well with the language. :]

Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2006, 02:23:37 PM »

I've found that the only time an FAQ ruins my experience with the game (besides spoilers, which were mentioned by other people) is in adventure games. The first time I really noticed this was when I was playing Grim Fandango earlier this year. Most of the fun from adventure games comes from solving the puzzles yourself and getting a sense of supreme satisfaction when you get by a really hard part of the game. I used a spoiler-free strategy guide to get through the game (it's pretty damn hard on it's own) but I found myself using it too much and in the end didn't feel that sense of acomplishment when I beat it. Similarly, I'm playing Phoenix Wright at the moment and I found very quickly that even using a spoiler-free guide ruins the pride you get from presenting the correct evidence in court at a tough spot in the game.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: