Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 04:54:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334828 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  it happend to you that you stop play because you use faq?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: it happend to you that you stop play because you use faq?  (Read 5656 times)
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2006, 09:59:23 AM »

Quote from: "sandiny0ursh0es"
Sadly it does slightly ruin a game for me, and I get this notion in my head that I didn't *really* beat the game, that I cheated somehow. It's all psychological, I think we just need to learn to get overrrrr it.

Exactly how I feel. So many games piss me off with their nearly impossible to find secrets, and if I catch wind of them from faqs or spoilers, I lose interest almost immediately.
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2006, 07:31:30 PM »

I used to be the kind who was purely against strategy guides and FAQs, wanting to finish games on my own, but when I found out I wasn't really proving anything to myself or others, and that I just wanted to have fun playing games, and get the most out of them, I started using guides and FAQs.

These days, I believe there's only so much you can go by yourself. I found myself to be enjoying games more after I found out all the secrets that I wouldn't have by myself.

There was even a point that, after using guides, I felt like I had to find or earn every last secret weapon/spell/skill/place/character in the game, but these days, I'm a bit more judicious about that, that is, I ask myself, "How much will it really add to my game?"

So, I'm actually pretty moderate. I read the guides and FAQs, but I don't always pursue every last secret in the game. I think of them like I do travel guides, and I think of my games more like taking brief vacations at a time. You can read a guide, and it can tell you about all these great places you can go, and things you can do, but there's only so much time in which it is humanely possible to do it.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2006, 07:56:29 PM »

My mindset for secrets is if the reward is worth the effort I put in. I only got some of the secret weapons in FFX because the mini-games are quite possibly the worst in the series, if not RPGs period. Likewise, to get the final tank upgrade in Rocket Slime requires a /lot/ of item farming then item creation. While I took the effort to get all of the tank crew, the amount of item farming needed combined with the onslaught of upcoming games made me decide to just plow through the rest of the tank battles, and not save them for when I was fully upgraded.
Bogatyr
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2006, 09:02:35 PM »

Well, just for the record, I do use FAQs for secrets, mostly because I don't go back to a game after I have beaten it, even if I say to myself I will, so I better get everything before I finish it.
I mean, I beat Radiata Stories couples weeks ago, and I said I would keep recruiting friends and even re start a game to see the non human path - I take it's fairly fast, considering you can keep your party - but so far nothing, and I doubt that I will, because I am re playing FFT after quite a few years - started yesterday and I just got into the third chapter. Besides that, I have Shadow of Colossus in the mail and FFXII is about to be released, so...
MartinMM

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2006, 04:47:05 PM »

I use faq:s when i need to, don't think that it ruins the game. Being stuck for hours ruins the game far more than using an faq IMO.
I have used item creation guides in all Star Ocean games, and that is a bit double edged. As soon as possible i'll create the best weapon in the game and then the game will become very simple to complete. But on the other hand, if i had'nt used the guides i would'nt use item creation at all. Usually i see it as just another quest, the guide tells me what to do to get a special weapon, and i do it :)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2006, 04:54:28 PM »

In the case of SO3, the way it worked was so stupid that, to me, you really can't be blamed for checking out a strat guide fully. What you create based on randomly generated prices, with no user control = dumb.
Bogatyr
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2006, 05:26:11 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
In the case of SO3, the way it worked was so stupid that, to me, you really can't be blamed for checking out a strat guide fully. What you create based on randomly generated prices, with no user control = dumb.

Agreed. That's why I didn't bother with it. Another major disappoint of the many I have found in this game.
Souplak

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2006, 05:33:03 PM »

I use FAQs all the time for some games. Take Suikoden IV for example, I beat Suikoden III for the first time this year and I really liked it. I thought S5 and S : Tactics looked really fun but S IV looked boring as hell. So I played through the whole game (S IV) with the walkthrough and I had a really good time, and I bet that I wouldnt have had nearly as fun if I didnt use a walkthrough.

But for my favorite game series (Xenosaga, Valkyrie Profile and FF) I never use a FAQ the first time through the game.

ok this post looks a bit confusing (its really late here so...) but I hope you all understand what im trying to say.
CarpeNoctumXIII
Banninated

CarpeNoctumXIII
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2006, 11:54:45 PM »

Naw, I think FAQs only ruin a game if it has an unexpected spoiler. I bought the guide for both Oblivion and Romancing SaGa, and man, I'm happy I did. While Oblivion I didn't need/use it a lot, I found Romancing SaGa to be a little too hands free and easily got lost and stuck, with nothing to do. I liked the game, but didn't grasp how to really progress in it. Beat it with Gray and didn't even have to use the guide with anyone else. Meh.

--Oh, please. Warping the minds of men and shepherding the masses has always been your Church's domain. You lure sheep with empty miracles and a dead God. ...Or perhaps you, too, are a sheep, Samantha. A poor little lamb, bleating for your faith as though it were milk of the poppy. Yet mark your savior well, for he is one of the demons you so fear, Samantha--
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2006, 01:00:38 AM »

Basically, my rule of thumb is to beat a game for the first time faqless. That will keep me happy. Then if I feel like going after things that are just impossible to figure out by myself or going after things I missed out on, I'll do a second playthrough and refer to a guide when needed. The likelihood of that happening is close to never, though. I have way too many other games that need to be played.

If I get stuck somewhere in a game and have tried everything I could to figure out what to do next, I usually just play a different game. This has happened to me with Wild ARMs (when you go inside that book... never figured out how to get out of there) and Breath of Fire 1 (they basically didn't even give me a location of the next city to go to, not even a "go north of this city" clue, and I got fed up with that and gave up).

I get a sense of satisfaction I wouldn't get if I had played the game with a faq. That's just how I am. I don't feel like I experienced the game for myself.

Bogatyr
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2006, 10:56:34 AM »

Wild ARMs (when you go inside that book... never figured out how to get out of there)

I think you refer to the infamous chest puzzle. That was totally stupid. I had to use a FAQ for that.
Yeah, BOF 1 was pretty unforgiving sometimes.
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2006, 12:33:00 PM »

Sometimes when I use a FAQ, it takes away the fun.  I find myself just following directions and not exploring or even thinking.  When that happens, I quit.  Since I know that happens, I only consult it if I'm stuck and then I stop.  Still I'm often tempted to use FAQs these days since sometimes you need to answer a certain way or do a certain thing to get the best ending.  But I'd rather answer the question the way I would if I were indeed that person.  Even if I get a crappy ending, it's okay since I earned it.  Weird I know.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: