Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 02:54:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327560 Posts in 13411 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  FFXII "out"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: FFXII "out"  (Read 2124 times)
Bogatyr
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« on: October 08, 2006, 03:59:07 PM »

So, why do companies postpone so much their releases after the whole thing is ready to be launched? I know it's market and stuff, but I don't see much reason not to release FFXII already, considering the game is already done.
I say this because a friend of mine already "has" the game. Sorry if you consider I am violating any rule; if that's the case erase my thread.
If not, then any thoughts, generally speaking and specifically for FFXII as well?
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 05:18:48 PM »

It's most likely to time releases and to not make them collide with any heavy hitters; if it came out when Madden NFL did, then the game would potentially lose a gargantuan chunk of sales. Even if it wasn't ready for US release until something like two weeks ago, FFXII right when VP2 came out would ruin the chances of VP2 doing well. Of course, that could've been ready earlier, but likely delayed to not be eclipsed by Dirge of Cerberus.

Basically, it's all marketting mysticism.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 05:20:14 PM »

The game your friend has is the review copy. It still has a few bugs and glitches that haven't been ironed out yet. I have it and I've run into more than one.

Often a game's review copy is basically the final build of the game. The developers take some time afterwards to run debug on the game to make sure there aren't any fuck ups with it.

Rico

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 06:28:05 PM »

Also, Sony's own review process of games, if it's anything like the PSX's was, takes forever.  So, you can have your ready-to-go, "bug-free" copy and still not be able to launch for a month.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 04:38:01 PM »

I went into a couple Gamestop's and EB's and they had tons of copies stocked up in the glass cases behind their counters. This was about a month ago.

I wanted to ask if I could buy one, but they obvisouly couldn't sell it yet. I wanted it so bad though! Why do they have them in stock more than a month before it comes out, but they can't sell it?

"Oh, a hunter..."
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 04:47:30 PM »

Those could just be display copies.
Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 05:03:00 PM »

Also when a game is finished(a console game at least) it must undergo a month long final approval process by the first party.  These are really bug tests or "quality" test at this point, just to make sure the system won't crash the game(in the sake of sony, crash the game frequently) or damage the systems.  Then if it passes the tests, about 2 weeks are needed for production and distribution.  So just cause a game is out on the internet, it takes time to get it into the market.

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: