Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 11:37:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334638 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Deus Ex and Deus Ex: Invisible War Post-mortem
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Deus Ex and Deus Ex: Invisible War Post-mortem  (Read 1580 times)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: November 19, 2012, 10:55:06 PM »

Deus Ex Post-mortem -- Part 1 / Part 2

"Harvey Smith talks with Warren Spector about the development process for Deus Ex. Part of Warren Spector's Master Class at the University of Texas."

Deus Ex: Invisible War Post-mortem

"Harvey Smith talks with Warren Spector about what went wrong with Deus Ex: Invisible War. Part of Warren Spector's Master Class at the University of Texas."
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 04:16:26 AM »

I've tried both on PS2 and PC to get into Deus Ex.

I want to play it but I just can't get past the controls. They have not aged well.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 04:38:53 PM »

What's wrong with the PC controls? It uses WASD by default and you can rebind everything anyway.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 08:42:48 PM »

Probably he means the menus and stuff. Think like managing items in System Shock 2 as opposed to Bioshock where the small things you find are automaticlly taken care of for you.

I can't say as I didn't play Deus Ex when it came out. When I tried it much later I found it a little cluncky and barely gave it a chance but I plan on giving it another chance in the future. There's a steam sale coming, so I might pick it up cheap and give it a go. Considering how much I liked Deus Ex Human Revolution, I'm more than inclined in trying the original.

Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 01:02:59 PM »

I can say that compared to Human Revolution, the stealth in the original is a lot more annoying. I mean in the sense that it's really hard to tell if you're sticking out from the cover or not.
Bleaker

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 05:38:00 PM »

The game has aged quite poorly, but I managed to play it to China. Then the difficulty killed me so I had to turn on the magical hack powers of hacks and finish it. The story is still fantastic though. As much as I'd hate to say it, Deus Ex: Invisible War has held up a bit better in terms of gameplay, but the story is still terrible.

Laugh and the world laughs with you.
Weep, and you weep alone.
Vaporeon

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 08:06:39 PM »

I thought IW's story was actually pretty good, aside from a few silly twists here and there.
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 05:44:14 AM »

IW has tiny levels, the loading times were still very long when I played it a few years ago, despite it being several years old. It's not much fun to play when it almost seems like half your time is spent sitting in front of a loading screen. It's probably better now on modern computers but it was barely acceptable at the time. The original had much better level design, and its areas weren't broken up into miniscule pieces.
bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2012, 04:08:50 PM »

The game has aged quite poorly, but I managed to play it to China. Then the difficulty killed me so I had to turn on the magical hack powers of hacks and finish it. The story is still fantastic though. As much as I'd hate to say it, Deus Ex: Invisible War has held up a bit better in terms of gameplay, but the story is still terrible.

Really, people struggle with Deus Ex? Well, I suppose you have to be good at the stealth aspect to beat it on the highest difficulty. I always went for the stealth kills and plenty of explosives so I never had much trouble.

Deus Ex really hasn't aged well though so I actually don't feel that compelled to play it again since Deus Ex 3 turned out to be a near perfect sequel.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 04:10:32 PM by bigdeath » Logged
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2012, 06:18:14 PM »

What stealth? I sniped everyone before they ever saw me. Is that considered stealth?
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2012, 02:17:57 AM »

What stealth? I sniped everyone before they ever saw me. Is that considered stealth?

That's sounds more like a assassination to me.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: