Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2014, 09:34:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340846 Posts in 13927 Topics by 2221 Members
Latest Member: alceste007
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Live Arcade: An RPG fan's wet dream?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Live Arcade: An RPG fan's wet dream?  (Read 1112 times)
Starbreaker

View Profile

Ignore
« on: October 09, 2006, 01:32:29 PM »

Scrolled back a few pages and didn't see this topic so here goes.

I must confess I don't play my 360 that much, haven't been blown away by anything on it yet, apart from Oblivion which I also have on my PC. Reason being I suppose is my obsession with MMOrpg's and all things online.

However, if I ever do venture and look at my 360, my time there is usually spent playing in Live Arcade, SF2 mostly. I've been thinking recently (especailly with the advent news of Castlevania coing to live) of the chances we have of seeing games like Secret of Mana and old Dragon Quests games coming to Live, even old Phantasy Star titles maybe.

I realize the current atmosphere in Japan is anti 360, but it would be such a great thing to have access to these older classics through Live, it would certainly help boost the popularity of the 360 in japan.

any thoughts?

Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 01:59:45 PM »

Japan isn't anti 360, there's just no games on it that appeal to the japanese market.  I'm hoping that will change with Blue Dragon and other games by Mistwalker.  Hopefully the 360 will be the niche gamer's system over there(like the Saturn, DC, PC-Engine later in its life, etc.).  

As for Japanese RPGs on the 360, who knows.  Japanese companies are well aware that US is now a viable market for games(RPGs as well), they might port a few games over XBLA, if not outsourcing is possible, but the biggest caveat is japanese companies tend to delete the code base of a game upon shipping(ever wonder why Devil Summoner and Princess Crown for the PSP didn't come out here?) which makes the only way to localize a game is Rom hacking, which most companies will not do.

So I say wait and see, I won't be surprised wither way.

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
demifiend

eqrunnerguy
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 02:52:07 PM »

Am I misreading, or are you getting all excited over something that hasn't been announced, and is in all reality, just a hypotheical or "I wish"? I would expect to see Secret of Mana on Wii's virtual console, quite honestly, and I'm not even a Nintendo partisan.

... You have created a demon of your heart's designs, fallen angel? Then doom shall set us apart... now and forevermore... -YHWH (?), Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

CURRENTLY PLAYING: Mass Effect (again!), Persona 3, Lost Odyssey
RECENTLY COMPLETED: Mass Effect, The World Ends With You
ANTICIPATING: Dragon Age, White Knight Chronicles, Wrath of the Lich King, Fallout 3
QUEUED: Lost track!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: