Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 30, 2014, 02:17:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329973 Posts in 13522 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Phantasy Star Universe X360 open beta
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Phantasy Star Universe X360 open beta  (Read 6876 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2006, 04:59:02 PM »

WHAT
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2006, 05:25:28 AM »

Double post to announce that the beta is live. Those of you with X360s and Gold accounts, nab it up.
Mana Knight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2006, 07:31:24 AM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
Yeah, I heard, but that's all right.  I can't wait to see what's added.

Anyway, I just heard about PSU being up, so I'm currently downloading.
Lilim

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2006, 08:35:35 AM »

NO! Now I'm stuck at work. This is gonna be a long day. :(
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2006, 08:50:53 AM »

Quote from: "Lilim"
NO! Now I'm stuck at work. This is gonna be a long day. :(

That's ok, no one can play anyways it seems. I managed to make my character, get through the tutorial, then got the boot. :P
Mana Knight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2006, 11:50:37 AM »

I made my character, went through the tutorial (I already forgot 90% of it), and didn't get booted.  I logged off myself, since I have to go to class soon.
Tsi Aileron

113308759 TsiAileron@hotmail.com Tsi+Aileron TsiAileron
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2006, 02:24:02 PM »

Awesome, downloading it now. Can't wait to play the game and actually understand what's going on. Unlike the Japanese beta, hah.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2006, 03:43:31 PM »

It'll take some getting used to, but I think I'll like the battle engine in this much more than in PSO. Some complaints though:

It's not stand out enough when you're in menus. I'll get used to it, but I think they could've had a little bar at the top that all the icons are on, so it stands out more.

I believe the censorship is /worse/ this time, and given the fact text still breaks apart upon new lines (which PSO:BB actually fixed), I'm pretty disappointed on a whole with how Sega's handled the normal chat. For the censorship, in some ways it's better (words like Shoe don't trip it, but Basement still does), it's worse in others. If you say one bad word at /all/ in a sentence, the whole damn thing gets censored. And it cares about words like crap - who the fuck is offended by crap? Some 50 year old bitch when she hears it from a 4 year old? Doubt that's going to be a concern. Of course, this wouldn't matter to me at all had they allowed you to just disable it, a concept Sega still seems to be unable to get. This time though, I'll be using Vent, so I guess it won't be as bad as in the PSO days.
Mana Knight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2006, 06:49:49 PM »

I agree with Eusis about the menus.  I've found myself many times pressing random buttons on the controller to find the menu I want.  I'm also having problems making text appear (mostly just being unfamiliar with the controls).  

I'm not going to say much, but I like it; however, I would definitely not pay a monthly fee to play it online.
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2006, 12:21:03 AM »

The download finished and I have a little experience with the demo.

My demo chronology-

Go through the training.  Pleased that the text is nice and big unlike some XBox 360 games.  Get annoyed at how much loading time there is.

Do the training mission.  Worried about how innacurate my spells are.  Didn't realize that to finish the mission, you need to go through a door at the end (I went back to the beginning before realizing my mistake).

Wander around the non-combat areas.

Tried my first real mission.  Getting better with the controls.  Enemy AI appears to be braindead - hope this is just because it's a low level mission.  Couldn't figure out how to get my mission report for the longest time (had to use one of the shoulder buttons and then press A).  Finish the mission with an S rank.

Wander over to one of the planets.  Joined someone else who was already in a mission.  I figure out that holding one of the shoulder buttons keeps you facing in one direction - makes aiming spell attacks much easier.  The monsters were way above our level - I was fine because they were braindead and just used slow moving projectiles, but he was a sword fighter and got killed quick.  I defeated 3 monsters, but it took a while so I went in search of a different mission.

I go to a different mission deck, but it won't let me check out the missions, because I was still in a mission.  Not sure how to quit a mission outside of returning to my room.  Don't want to spend the time doing that so I log out with the intention of logging right back in again and seeing if it starts me out in my room.  Server's full so I turn the system off.

My thoughts -

The controls and menus definitely take some getting use, but by the end of my session I was liking them.  However, I dislike the unresponsiveness of combat - stuff like pressing the attack button and waiting for the attack to actual begin and then waiting for the damage to actually register.

There's quite a bit of load time between areas (non-combat areas, the combat areas were fine) with the result that travelling inbetween missions was really annoying.  The fact that I was new and didn't know where anything was didn't help matters.  I imagine this is less of a problem when playing the PC version (and with more experience).

Overall verdict -

I'm not going to get this game at the moment, though I may get it in the future if I hear that the single-player mode is awesome and I find it for cheap.  I'm not saying that I didn't have any fun, but there are too many top-knotch games that are coming out around now and later this year (Devil Summoner, Okami, Zelda, etc.) that I'd rather spend my money and time on.  Pay $8-10/month for the online mode?  Not worth it in my book.  If I do end up buying the game, I'll probably get the PC version though: keyboard support + hopefully less load times + cheaper.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2006, 12:24:09 AM »

Quote from: "Robert Boyd"
If I do end up buying the game, I'll probably get the PC version though: keyboard support + hopefully less load times + cheaper.

Every version has Keyboard support: Each of the platforms has USB ports. Well, maybe not a PC, but any PC capable of playing this should have at least 2.

Edit: Unless you want to play this game with the keyboard. Then you might just be insane.

Edit 2: Also, guys, we oughta arrange a time to get together and trade our cards. What're good times for everyone?
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2006, 12:54:32 AM »

Going along with the post your experience idea, I figure I'll throw in my two cents.

I made a character (after playing around with the maker for a bit) and hopped in to the game only to find my Xbox freeze at the start of the tutorial! I restart and this time I decide to skip the tutorial. Some random dude invites me to his party and I spend 20 minutes trying to find where to join the mission. I finally get there and we kill some dudes, doing a really easy mission. After we run that a few times I'm level 3 and he decides to leave, so I decide to run the Level 5 mission in hopes that I can level quickly. But alas I can only kill one or two things before I die. Then I find that there seems to be no death penalty (except for the post mission score), so I exploit this to get to level 5 and finish the Mission in a half hour. Then I did some random running around the ship, finding a Japanese-theme planet and a Modern-theme planet in the process.

My verdict: Ok. Not great. I was kinda dissapointed especially since there is no death penalty that I can see it basically eliminated the whole challenge of the game, seeing as all the monsters kept their damage and it takes all of 30 seconds to get back to where you were. I also don't like the voice chat aspect, but that's probably just me (I don't like to talk in games a whole lot and did not enjoy the unnecessary banter between my teammate and myself). I think I'll rent it to get the gamer points in single player (it's something like 100 to 200 points per achievement for completing a chapter). Until then I'll test it out a tiny bit more and see if it's worth the money.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2006, 01:18:36 AM »

Technically, voice is preferred for me in this. You can quickly yell commands at your other team mates and not spend valuable time typing it up while you're being mauled, or prepare several F keys. Not to mention you don't need to worry about an overboard filter turning your entire message into gibberish if you slip up with a curseword like hell or fuck.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2006, 08:13:40 AM »

1. The delay in between when you strike an enemy and when it registers is due to combat details being handled by the server.  PSO was cheated extensively, and if combat was handled by the client, PSU would be PSO all over again.  So in essence, the delay is based on the speed of your own internet connection, and the speed of the server.  From what I hear, the 360 beta servers are laggy and overloaded with people so... yeah.

2. The death penalty is perfect.  You lose nothing on your character, you only get penalized toward your reward.  That's exactly how a mission should run.  You're also playing the easiest mission by yourself.  Play some more difficult missions later on and you'll see how things work out.  Each death in the party drops your ranking by a letter.  Three deaths, including team mates' deaths, and you basically get no mission reward.

3. Load times as you go from area to area is a mixture of loading textures on the client, and communicating with the server.  If the server is laggy or your internet is flaky, the transitions take longer.

4. Linear Line is the lamest dungeon in the game.  I suggest you don't base your opinion on the "newbie dungeon" which is designed to have incredibly slow enemies on purpose.
Mana Knight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2006, 08:23:58 AM »

My biggest gripe so far is that it's annyoing to meatup with friends (ones you haven't traded cards with).  Once you do trade cards, it becomes a lot easier to find them again.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: