Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 09:43:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334683 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Going back and reading old reviews, some great quotes
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Going back and reading old reviews, some great quotes  (Read 3860 times)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, 02:23:29 PM »

Which reminds me... what the fuck is Tri-Ace even up to these days?? :S

This.

And possibly another one of these.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2012, 02:36:57 PM »

What ever happened to that tech demo they showed last year?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 06:41:04 PM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2012, 03:41:32 PM »

I sometimes look back at my old reviews and wonder, "What was I thinking?"  Of course, each review is an honest reflection of how I felt about that particular game at the time, so it does capture a legit moment.  It's like with music.  Some albums I wasn't really into when I first heard them, but listening to them weeks, months, even years later I think, "Wow!  This is brilliant!"  The opposite holds true too; there are some albums I loved immediately but don't listen to so much any more. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2012, 04:09:46 PM »

Which reminds me... what the fuck is Tri-Ace even up to these days?? :S

This.

And possibly another one of these.

Haha, the hell were the chances of that announcement popping up?

I sometimes look back at my old reviews and wonder, "What was I thinking?"  Of course, each review is an honest reflection of how I felt about that particular game at the time, so it does capture a legit moment.  It's like with music.  Some albums I wasn't really into when I first heard them, but listening to them weeks, months, even years later I think, "Wow!  This is brilliant!"  The opposite holds true too; there are some albums I loved immediately but don't listen to so much any more. 

Curious, which reviews had that effect?

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2012, 05:18:44 PM »

I concur.  I look back at a few games and think "I scored that too high."  But as my colleague said, you call 'em like you see 'em at the time.  It's tough to know if you're now thinking something should have a different score because of other games you've played since, because you've forgotten some of what you liked/hated about the game, etc. Which is why we don't go back and actually change the scores. :)  (I'd rather not give actual examples for the same reason.)

I was tellling the team just the other day that I also read some of my old reviews and think "Oh, geez.  This isn't very good writing.  Good thing I'm better than that now."  Then I tell that voice in my head who says I'm not better to shut up, because he's mean. ;)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2012, 06:37:27 PM »

Dice- Car Battler Joe comes to mind.  The game was fun, but I think I scored it way too high. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2012, 08:11:25 AM »

I really hope Tri-Ace will bring us a new Valkyrie Profile this gen! VP2 had amazing graphics in the late years of the PS2 and if that tech demo is anything to be based upon, whatever they are working on should look (graphics) pretty nice.

Back to quoting past reviews and still on the Tri-Ace boat:

Luckily, that's about the only bad aspect of Star Ocean: The Last Hope.
by John McCarroll

(I know taking his sentence out of context isn't the right thing to do, it's just a harmless joke)
I do agree with him for the most part, but this game had so much going wrong... Before this sentence he talks about the voice acting, which is bad not only in English but just as bad in Japanese. Also the characters will drive you insane. I can't believe they made a game without one single likeable character. Actually, not even not likeable, I'd say they are all hateable.

It's sad because like John said in his review, there is some good stuff in it, but the bad aspects make it almost unplayable.

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2012, 09:25:16 AM »

Some games just make you want to gather the staff in a room so you can just stare down at them for the longest time in a deadly silence before going "Really? ... like... really??"

SO4 is one of those (although whoever worked on the combat system wouldn't be in that 'shame' room, they'd be at the bar where I'm buying them all the booze they want.)
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2012, 10:35:13 AM »

Based on my experience with big projects, the developers would say "Do you think we don't know?  This isn't the game we wanted to make.  It's the compromise and bad design that management pushed us into when they decided that they knew better than us."  Then they might say that they understand that sometimes you just have to make a deadline and accept that "done is better than perfect" or they might not.  Depends on the person whether they feel that's true or not.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2012, 03:17:17 PM »

My favorite quotes of "I said THAT?!" are the "hindsight is 20/20" kind.

E3 2005: The version we played at E3 only had 23 out of a total of 100 weapons and one random cityscape, but it was shaping up to be simply brilliant. Combining the hack-and-slash gameplay of the Diablo series with a First-Person Shooter leaves Hellgate: London as being one of the most desirable games of, unfortunately, 2006.

WRONG.

E3 2006: While Hellgate: London doesn't have a set release date, we're sure it's going to crush whatever it goes up against upon its release.

WRONG.

E3 2007: The fact that we can be shown very little new and still salivate to the title shows just how good [Hellgate: London] should be.

WRONG.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2012, 07:15:33 PM »

Still find this kind of amusing/sad:

http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/persona2is/index.html

http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Persona_2_Innocent_Sin_PSP/index.html

From one of the best games ever to decent only if you're really hardcore.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2012, 07:49:15 PM »

Things change. If you ask me, P2 has been vastly outclassed by its sequels and by the rest of the SMT series in terms of playability and design.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2012, 08:09:59 PM »

Things change. If you ask me, P2 has been vastly outclassed by its sequels and by the rest of the SMT series in terms of playability and design.

And critics too. Neal will probably still swear P2:IS is one of the best RPGs ever made, and I suspect John wouldn't have budged too much if he hypothetically reviewed it when it was contemporary. We had an inverted example there too, the original Twilight Princess review was not as positive as the newer one by Mike.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 08:13:39 PM by Eusis » Logged
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2012, 08:28:47 PM »

I also think people's appreciation for things evolves over time. The things I love about certain games now are things I didn't necessarily appreciate when I was younger. It's why I love FF9 more now than I did as a kid. It's the same thing with movies, music, and literature too.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2012, 09:20:54 PM »

Still find this kind of amusing/sad:

http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/persona2is/index.html

http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Persona_2_Innocent_Sin_PSP/index.html

From one of the best games ever to decent only if you're really hardcore.

I didn't write that first review, so I'm not sure what the comparison is supposed to be..?

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: