Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 07:13:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327355 Posts in 13404 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Going back and reading old reviews, some great quotes
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Going back and reading old reviews, some great quotes  (Read 3275 times)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2012, 12:27:10 AM »

I actually thought EP was a lot better than IS. I'm not a huge fan of either of them but EP just feels like... I don't know, like they had a much better grasp on what they were doing. Imported IS back when the Oracle of Maya script was around, played some of it, couldn't get into it. Played it again when the translation patch was out and I still couldn't get into it. It felt very off to me.

I think a lot of import-only games received higher praise than they otherwise would've gotten because of the whole... forbidden fruits aspect.

Also echoing what Taelus said about FFIX. When I was younger, I found the super deformed art style really off-putting and I didn't really /get/ the whole learning-skills-from-weapons things. Now, the story themes feel a lot more relevant to me and I appreciate the way the game was balanced.

Similarly, I have a hard time actually hating games for the same /kind/ of reason. I don't like FFVIII anymore -- I take a lot of issues with how its gameplay works, in particular -- but when I was really playing it for the first time, summer after eighth grade, on some emotional level it meant a hell of a lot to me. I can't hate it. It's part of my personality.

And I don't know when I'm going to re-evaluate something and fall in love with it. That happens a lot too.

There's also the question of what you find fun. Games are horrible things if you take an absolutely reductionist view of them -- treat them like the punishment/reward feedback loops that they, objectively, are. So you have things outside of the gameplay per se -- the story, the atmosphere, the mood -- the suprasegmentals of the play-ecosystem, if you will. And there's fun in that, the aspect of /experiencing/ something. Of getting a good story, or being able to shape a good story (in games that allow that kind of interaction).

There's the science kit aspect of it. Being able to try different things, different skillsets, character builds, units. Dicking around with game objects to see what'll happen. Prying out easter eggs and emergent behavior. The exploration aspect.

I am dehydrated as fuck and need to drink less caffeine.

Fun fact: I remember reading RPGFan in study hall back in 6th grade. This would, roughly, 've been when Wild Arms 2 was new.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2012, 12:31:43 AM »

Still find this kind of amusing/sad:

http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/persona2is/index.html

http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Persona_2_Innocent_Sin_PSP/index.html

From one of the best games ever to decent only if you're really hardcore.

I didn't write that first review, so I'm not sure what the comparison is supposed to be..?

Just kind of the site in general. I can't help but think P2 got a bad rap from everyone for being outdated, and yet most other 'retro' games get glowing praise for it.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2012, 02:13:18 AM »

I also think people's appreciation for things evolves over time. The things I love about certain games now are things I didn't necessarily appreciate when I was younger. It's why I love FF9 more now than I did as a kid. It's the same thing with movies, music, and literature too.

Same here. At first I didn't like the ridged progression that the game's plot moved in, but now that I'm older and can better appreciate the technical limitations and design choices made at the time, as well as being able to see both those same things in FFVI and the contrast better gameplay balance makes in FFV, along with my since greatly expanded gaming pallet, I can see how much more daring and unique the experience is in comparison to titles released in both the contemporary and modern time frame.

Additionally, the only thing that bothered me about the character designs was the lack of a permanently playable Beatrix (and Garnet/Dagger's silly haircut, which I still think to be weak, namely because I hate that cliche).

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2012, 04:56:00 PM »

Things change. If you ask me, P2 has been vastly outclassed by its sequels and by the rest of the SMT series in terms of playability and design.

And critics too. Neal will probably still swear P2:IS is one of the best RPGs ever made, and I suspect John wouldn't have budged too much if he hypothetically reviewed it when it was contemporary. We had an inverted example there too, the original Twilight Princess review was not as positive as the newer one by Mike.

Eusis nailed it.  Had I reviewed Innocent Sin for PSP, it would obviously have been far more favorable because that and EP are my favorite PSone-era RPGs and two of my all time favorite RPGs. 

I approve of this nonsense!
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: