Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2015, 02:25:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
362715 Posts in 14722 Topics by 2285 Members
Latest Member: Moseng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Citizens of Earth
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Citizens of Earth  (Read 3667 times)
Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2015, 09:45:11 PM »

Alrightee I'm double posting on account of I am speaking on a completely different note now coupled with the fact that it has been days since my last post.

I return to this thread to hang my head in shame. I am seriously considering dropping this title, at least for the time being, and feel like a fool for signing off on the initial splendor and awesome-ness of it.

I stand by what I said in my initial impressions but as the game went on it became too tiring for me to enjoy beyond its aesthetic and writing which just is not enough of a draw for me to continue with it. The 2 biggest problems for me have proven to be the self imposed difficulty factor and crashing. This is hella-sad because while these problems cripple the experience for me, they really SHOULD NOT exist. The constant crashing I am experiencing makes it impossible to enjoy but being that others are not having the problem, I can't really condemn the title for it.

Now the self imposed difficulty is something I am surprised I am not seeing more bitching about. Essentially the only challenge in terms of battle has to be one of which I actively choose to subject myself to with damn near NO REWARD FOR DOING SO. I say "no reward" because the stat gains/experience inflation seems completely worthless given the rest of the games mechanics. Inducing any challenge in the interest of making battles anything more than a "spam attack-a-thon" does not in fact make anything more interesting, it simply makes things grindier and bars a greater number of my citizens from being useful in any sense.

This game started off great for me and its a shame it's banes have prevented me from fostering more joy from what it does right.  I am certain there is a ton of content I can love beyond what I have experienced here, but hours of frustration and mechanical wonki-ness  is simply not worth it for me.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 09:50:24 PM by Klyde Chroma » Logged

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2015, 12:30:40 PM »

Yeah not gonna lie, the game loses steam faster than a church sermon after a wet fart. I'm not fond of how the minigames are all just battles basically either, like the gambling minigame and the car race game too. This would have been acceptable 10 years ago, but now it's a bit pathetic. The game offers a very limited gameplay dynamic and tries to sell itself entirely on its quirky humor and nostalgic references. It's cute for sure, but I cam't understand why more wasn't added. Free games I've played had more to offer than this.

Oh and the insane crash rate is ludicrous.

TASTY!
Dincrest
Analogy spouting
RPGFan Editor

I approve of this nonsense!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2015, 04:16:01 PM »

I only experienced one crash so far on the 3DS version, so that version seems to run the cleanest.  It still has some bugs (like passing-through-locked doors type bugs) but nothing I couldn't circumvent with some ingenuity. 

But, yeah, the tl;dr version of my upcoming review will pretty much be one of my dating analogies- a girl who makes a fantastic first impression, but once you start dating her for a while, she proves to be more of a nuisance than anything. 

I have nothing funny to say.
Klyde Chroma

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2015, 04:01:42 AM »

I only experienced one crash so far on the 3DS version, so that version seems to run the cleanest.  It still has some bugs (like passing-through-locked doors type bugs) but nothing I couldn't circumvent with some ingenuity. 

But, yeah, the tl;dr version of my upcoming review will pretty much be one of my dating analogies- a girl who makes a fantastic first impression, but once you start dating her for a while, she proves to be more of a nuisance than anything. 
Yeah not gonna lie, the game loses steam faster than a church sermon after a wet fart. I'm not fond of how the minigames are all just battles basically either, like the gambling minigame and the car race game too. This would have been acceptable 10 years ago, but now it's a bit pathetic. The game offers a very limited gameplay dynamic and tries to sell itself entirely on its quirky humor and nostalgic references. It's cute for sure, but I cam't understand why more wasn't added. Free games I've played had more to offer than this.

Oh and the insane crash rate is ludicrous.

Two excellent analogies in row, kudos gentlemen.

But D, wet fart? Really!? Ewwww...

Anyhow, moving on, it sure does nail the charm part. I am pretty certain before I launch the game it will end with me being disgusted and pissed off. Yet the colors, quirky music, and sense of "who I am gonna recruit next" keeps me turning it back on anyhow. With each crash I feel like I've somehow been duped yet again. Already resolved myself to not liking this in spite of its more endearing qualities yet it somehow tricks me into continuing. I need to localize play of this game to the weekend, maybe treat it like an extended saturday morning cartoon of sorts.

On the positive, I'm still of the persuasion that the cast is all sorts of cool. Albeit shallow, their one-shot-a-citizen gimmicks have proven amusing. All the more fun in that I've had the ability to re-name each one as something horribly off color and offensive. It isn't often an RPG comes along that feels more appropriately enjoyed the less serious or committed you are to it but in every aspect (down to the mechanics) it seems that is the ideal way for me to savor this one.

I'll be damned if I approach this crap as a completionist though. The tedium is just too much to stand. I tip my hat to anyone who really feels like 100 percent-ing this one.

BIGGEST GRIPE/ I still can't sit comfortably with the difficulty at all. I switch it waaaaay tooo much to tailor it to my team and it just never seems right. Always too easy or too long and never actually challenging/engaging. I would honestly have enjoyed this game quite a bit more at a static difficulty but the mechanic is necessary to the design in a number of ways. It is sort of like a catch 22. I guess that is why classical-non-linear-quasi-open-world-JRPGs aren't really a common thing (conflicting gameplay elements??). Or maybe I'm over evaluating a bit and it just doesn't work here.

Dincrest
Analogy spouting
RPGFan Editor

I approve of this nonsense!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2015, 11:41:18 AM »

Well, the reviews are in: http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2015/2645.html

I have nothing funny to say.
Klyde Chroma

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2015, 02:08:52 PM »

That was quite possibly the most helpful a (group of) review (s) has ever proven to be for me.

A. Totally saved me the disgust I would have faced thinking I could plow through the main scenario in a dedicated day (really believed this was much shorter).

B. Also made me realize my only hope of having fun (when I pick this back up) is to curb my completionist mentality. Glad that was stressed in all 3 takes on the title.

Kudos to RPGfan for once again making my gaming world a better place to be :)

Taelus
Some music guy
Administrator

I'm really feeling it!

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2015, 12:08:15 AM »

Kudos to RPGfan for once again making my gaming world a better place to be :)

HOLLA

"Steb I'm always channeling my inner rage. I'm basically a tall, skinny, pointy-eared, pale she-hulk with a giant stick." - Liz

FallenGrace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2015, 01:28:40 AM »

So I bought the PS4 version and only endured 3 crashes during the 30 hours it took me to do everything (all trophies basically).

I was pretty disappointed, personally hated the music and found the psychedelic battle backgrounds nauseating. The battle system was alright but walking through an area as the reviews said left battles every five seconds in a lot of cases which gets old, fast.

I would score it maybe a 6/10. The premise was good it just didn't follow through on it.

Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: