Author Topic: Dark Souls 2

Cyril

• View Profile
Re: Dark Souls 2
« Reply #270 on: September 27, 2014, 06:30:17 PM »
I feel that. "Souls exhaustion" is why I didn't get the DLC immediately. Playing it consistently over time is the surest way to burn me out.  In a few months or so I'll get them and play them all at once.

PaleRobbie

• Podcast Host
  • Editor Emeritus
  • Fear the old blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: September 30, 2014, 10:59:28 PM »
Nothing goes over my head.  I'm far to quick....

But yeah, I have zero desire to play the last piece of DLC.  I wouldn't say they were outright bad, just more of the same and lacking some of that Souls magic.  I should be good and excited for Bloodborne by the time we reach February.  I think the changes to the core gameplay will go along way to assuaging my fatigue, too. 

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 08, 2014, 01:17:20 AM »
The difficulty in the Lost Crowns Trilogy went as far as it could have gone. And I can't say I share much of the same feelings Rob has with the DLC.

Regarding the Fume Knight, the (Blue) Smelter Demon is much more of a challenge to defeat.

Eusis

• View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 08, 2014, 02:04:35 AM »
I liked the DLC plenty myself, though I haven't had a strong urge to do the optional part of the Ivory Crown one. It's just too annoying and summons can be hard to come by. Maybe someday, but it's not as if I beat all the optional bosses either.

Yggdrasil

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 17, 2014, 01:52:26 PM »
In the last 2 weeks or so I've done long sessions of DSII to get the Platinum Trophy. I took a very long break from the game before I did this to wait for all the DLC to come out and have new energy to get back into DSII.

And with parts that are still 'stupid hard' and everything, I still enjoy the game a lot. Ironically however, I still like Demon's Souls the most.

What get me the most is how the lore in Demon's was much easier to follow and (IMO) had a lot more heart to it and meaning when everything was said and done than Dark I or II.

Either way, I'm pretty tired of DSII again but I'm in NG+2 now and I'm on my way to get the Master of Pyromancy and Miracles trophies. I've never been able to kill Vendrick (because he's a Grade-A douchebag), though, I think I'll have to farm Soul(s) of a Giant to get that done quickly. Any tips anyone here can give me would be appreciated. :)

---

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201410/16062962.html

Udon published the Design Works book in english of Dark Souls, right? They are most likely gonna get busy publishing the Design Works of DSII if that's the case.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 06:16:51 PM by Yggdrasil »

Andrew

• Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: October 17, 2014, 06:31:56 PM »
I still like Demon's Souls the most.

What get me the most is how the lore in Demon's was much easier to follow and (IMO) had a lot more heart to it and meaning when everything was said and done than Dark I or II.

I absolutely agree.

Yggdrasil

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: October 21, 2014, 10:42:38 PM »
Finally managed to kill Vendrick yesterday.

First try yesterday though was me and Vendrick killing each other at the same time. Two tries after that I killed him. It took me a very long time to get my character ready for Vendrick after I failed so many times before, but man it felt good when I did.

Also, out of curiosity once I tried to kill Vendrick with Climax. Climax, for those who don't know or don't remember, is a Hex that uses all of your souls in a single attack. So I attacked him with over 1 million souls, but it just did around 700 of damage which is pretty much the same damage you can get with the (upgraded) Smelter Sword. Incidentally, that was the weapon I used to actually kill Vendrick.

Cyril

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: October 21, 2014, 10:53:19 PM »
Didn't they nerf Climax pretty heavily?  I'm pretty sure they nerfed all Hexes, which is a bit silly considering how much effort you need to put into being able to use them with any decency.  Much more than any other spell or weapon.

DPB

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: October 22, 2014, 07:27:21 PM »
I've been playing the DLC, and apart from some boss fights that seemed near-impossible without summons, I'd been really enjoying it up until Iron Passage. This area is a real slog, small corridors crammed with large groups of annoying enemies. At this rate, I'm probably going to end whittling the enemies down by killing them so many times they de-spawn, since I'm barely making any progress.

Yggdrasil

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: October 22, 2014, 10:09:37 PM »
Some parts and bosses in the DLC were somewhat confusing if you had to do them with other players or you could do them alone.

Then again, DSII in general is harder than many sections in Demon's and Dark have been. In Demon's there is a sense of balance throughout most of the game and in Dark, with it's stupid parts and everything, it was still a lovely game. But DSII (now that I did multiple playthroughs) I noticed that it makes you work for your success much more. The game retains a lot of what's fun about Souls but whatever Miyazaki did as a director in Demon's and Dark is cleary not in DSII.

Didn't they nerf Climax pretty heavily?  I'm pretty sure they nerfed all Hexes, which is a bit silly considering how much effort you need to put into being able to use them with any decency.  Much more than any other spell or weapon.

No idea. I didn't followed most of the updates DSII went through.

Balance in Souls though has always being all over the place. The games, in the PvP side of the things, are about experimentation over anything else. And everything that has to do with PvP works as an extension for PvE (which is were the games shine the most and are the most fun).

DPB

• View Profile
« Reply #280 on: October 23, 2014, 05:14:33 PM »
After countless tries, I finally made it through Iron Passage and took out the boss there, but I'm pretty sure now the Fume Knight is beyond me, I just don't have the reflexes to dodge his attacks. Summoning doesn't help either, it boosts his defences so much that it takes forever to do any significant damage. Also, I seem to have inadvertently screwed myself over, making the fight even more difficult for myself:

Code: [Select]
There aren't enough smelter wedges to destroy every statue in Brume Tower, and if you don't save an extra one to use on the statues before the Fume Knight then he'll regenerate if he's near that statue.

PaleRobbie

• Podcast Host
  • Editor Emeritus
  • Fear the old blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: November 05, 2014, 10:49:54 AM »
Now you know my pain, DPB.

bigdeath

• View Profile
« Reply #282 on: November 05, 2014, 10:37:12 PM »
It does make me wonder how some people claim Dark Souls 2 is easier than the previous games.

PaleRobbie

• Podcast Host
  • Editor Emeritus
  • Fear the old blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: November 05, 2014, 11:04:53 PM »
I think the main game on NG is pretty easy (with a few exceptionally hard bosses).  NG+ is a whole different beast, however, and the DLC is murderously hard to the point of insanity.  Then again, DSII is pretty easy if you've had a lot of time with the mechanics and know what's expected of you.  Figure it would be the same way for someone going from II to I.  The more experience you have with the games the better you should be at them. 

bigdeath

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: November 05, 2014, 11:55:22 PM »
True enough, but I found the original Dark Souls quite easy. Especially once you know the best items you can get early on with the master key. I always spent like 45 mins running around collecting items before proceeding through the waterway. I could have skip that but I'm also obsessive with grabbing all the loot in the game. The key to the souls games is a slow and steady pace and trying your hardest to separate enemies so you can fight them one on one.

PaleRobbie, have you checked out Lords of the Fallen? Its a much shorter game compared to the souls game but its a pretty decent souls clone. I'm surprised it took this long for souls clone games to appear.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 12:00:02 AM by bigdeath »