Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 10:23:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330066 Posts in 13526 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Dark Souls 2
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18 Print
Author Topic: Dark Souls 2  (Read 22091 times)
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2012, 09:01:40 PM »

Since you guys are talking DS1 I'll just ask... do they match up player levels when someone invades? Will I be hunted by someone who's level 120 or someone within my abilities to kill?
TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2012, 09:28:12 PM »

The thing about Dark Souls boss fights is that it depends on your build and equipment a bit too much IMO.  If you don't have the right equipment it makes some of the bosses absurdly hard.  For example, using a heavy melee build (solo) on ornstein and smough is pretty bullshit, but if you have some decent pyromancy the fight is way easier.  The start of the Capra demon fight is indeed pretty dumb. 
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2012, 12:59:07 PM »

Since you guys are talking DS1 I'll just ask... do they match up player levels when someone invades? Will I be hunted by someone who's level 120 or someone within my abilities to kill?

It is always possible to get invaded by someone that is way beyond your capabilities at the start of the game. It all depends on various factors (that you can read on the wiki for more details) but overall PvP is mostly about who backstab first (which is always annoying if you are trying to have a duel) or who make the best use of Miracles, Sorceries and Pyromancy.

If you are new to the game try and find some people to help you. Being proud in Dark Souls believing that you can handle an invasion alone is always a risk, especially if you have a bunch of souls and humanity that you want to use in the next bonfire.
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2012, 09:35:37 PM »

I think Demon's Souls got a boost in popularity after Dark Souls came out... they extended the server life a million times, and as far as I know, it is still up!

The most finicky gamers I know say that Dark Souls is their favorite game, and that is why I am still their friend.  Their tastes are otherwise a mile away, but we can talk about DS for hours.  These powergamers fucking destroy everything they play, but Dark Souls still had a high enough ceiling for them.  They immediately played Demon's Souls afterward, and said it was even harder...

Dark Souls 2 could be directed by Michael Bay and I'd still buy it.  I will give money to the brand name even if the final product sucks, just this once.

Friend co-op sounds fun, despite how it would ruin the emotional desperation theme.  I think the 3rd game in the series is the perfect time to implement such "what if" features.  The gameplay  mechanics are solid, but I don't think I'd appreciate any more invisible floors or 3 foot visibility dungeons, no matter how well designed.  No need to beat a dead horse.

I would happily play capture the flag with my Dark Soul's character, to put it bluntly.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2012, 04:39:57 AM »

I have a sinking feeling that this "accessibility" is going to be online multiplayer, designed to sell map packs and items.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2012, 11:52:46 AM »

I have a sinking feeling that this "accessibility" is going to be online multiplayer, designed to sell map packs and items.

Selling both of those things don't make any sense for a variety of reasons... besides if they want to make even more money out of the love that people have with the Souls games they should just release an entire expansion again, because Artorias of the Abyss was really more an expansion than just "content" like much of the junk that is sold nowadays.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2012, 05:16:17 PM »

Selling both of those things don't make any sense for a variety of reasons... besides if they want to make even more money out of the love that people have with the Souls games they should just release an entire expansion again, because Artorias of the Abyss was really more an expansion than just "content" like much of the junk that is sold nowadays.

Nah, it definitely counts more as DLC than a full blown expansion, but most DLC like this for RPGs is way more story centric, whereas this is kind of what happens when you focus almost entirely on the gameplay (and add $5).
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2012, 12:29:12 PM »

Dark Souls II detailed in Edge -- Source: Gematsu

Dark Souls II (PS3/360/PC) - Edge Magazine details (Prepare yourself) -- Source: NeoGAF
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 01:00:18 PM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2012, 01:32:21 PM »

Based on their comments about keeping covenants, the world style, and switching to a server-based system for multiplayer, it sounds like the basic structure is staying the same.

Messaging and story being "less subtle" has to be the worst possible way to phrase your intentions.

Morality system is interesting, if it's not heavy-handed WILL YOU MURDER THE KITTENS? I'd prefer to see it implemented by your actions-- for example, if you invade and kill another player, you get BAD MORALITY. I'd be fine with that, it would work a lot like sin from Dark Souls.

I'm cautiously optimistic. They're being honest about making the game more accessible, so I can respect that, at least. As long as it isn't made less challenging and some of the mystery remains, I can get behind trying to bring new players in by making it more welcoming, at first.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
beLIEve?

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2012, 05:43:00 PM »

i am also cautiously optimistic. the vague statements kinda made me go, "uh oh, what does that mean?" the servers thing sounds like a good thing i hate waiting and praying for invasion/phantoms to sync. the "new hero" thing made me think of dragon age 2 and that sorta stressed me out. being more accessible l feel could be okay depending on how you define it. i'd like a in game menu explaining weapon building and stats. an in game optional tutorial could help a lot. as much as i like the atmosphere of the souls games if they added more npc's for story beats i'm not sure that'd ruin it for me. so long as they don't spell out every story beat for me and the combat still kicks my ass i'll probably be okay with it. i liked how dark souls added a few things like kicking and jumping and i kinda hope they add some more things like that maybe a swim action or way to block backstabs...i dunno? 
bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2012, 07:53:01 PM »

I hope by direct sequel they mean we shall see the world after the events of dark souls too.

As for the new hero, that shouldn't matter at all because your hero in these games are never fleshed out at all. Your always the mysterious wanderer basically.

As long as they got my trusty lighting halberd in the game then I shall be happy. In fact, I've just started one last play through of Dark Souls. Right from scratch. Just got the basic Halberd, will be my main weapon throughout the whole game. It does it all. lol Poke, Reach, decently high damage.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 07:58:14 PM by bigdeath » Logged
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2012, 08:43:20 PM »

way to block backstabs...

Oh man, you don't even how happy I would be if my character could have that skill. There's always the issue with lag though...

I hope by direct sequel they mean we shall see the world after the events of dark souls too.

People have been speculating that Dark Souls II is a direct sequel to "The Dark Lord" ending.

As for the new hero, that shouldn't matter at all because your hero in these games are never fleshed out at all. Your always the mysterious wanderer basically.

If I remember some parts of lore of Dark Souls that's not entirely true. But yeah, aside from that little detail your character works pretty much perfectly as an avatar that you can shape the way you want.
bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2012, 08:52:20 PM »

In Dark Souls its not made clear why your the chosen but you do get to pick the destiny of the land, basicly. Lucky you.

I would like to see Dark Souls 2 expand upon what exactly the endings meant. Because its 100% vague what that dark lord ending means.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2012, 09:53:20 PM »

To Link the Fire:

"Linking the fire restarts the age of fire (this time fueled by the player's soul). Undead sacrifices would end for the duration of the age of fire and eventually begin again when your flames start to fade. Gods would also have their powers and lead mortals in their lives as has been since the dragons were overthrown. The player prolongs life, but the cycle continues."

Dark Lord:

"The player now rules the world as the Dark Lord while the other gods have fallen. Without fire, the world would gradually wither and desolate; the chosen undead would rule the slowly dying world."

tl;dr: You don't save or conquer anything in Dark Souls. Have fun dying! kthanksbye
bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2012, 11:07:43 PM »

The Dark Lord ending doesn't necessarily end the world. It just ends the magical fire that gives the old god's their power and reanimates the dead. Remember, the old world of the dragons existed just fine before the fire was discovered. The "gods" just seem to be empowered humans who first found the lord souls.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: