Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 06:14:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341196 Posts in 13945 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Dark Souls 2
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 20 Print
Author Topic: Dark Souls 2  (Read 28874 times)
DrGonzo

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #195 on: February 08, 2014, 07:32:32 PM »

I think I'm just going to go ahead and jump into Dark Souls 2 without finishing the first one, I'm already frustrated trying to find people to help with the Four Kings boss and just not deal with it.
mrchoppy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: February 23, 2014, 07:41:43 AM »

Well, I have preordered Dark Souls 2, even though i havent completed Demons Souls or Dark Souls yet.  Its one of those games I love and hate at the same time.   

They have been lying in the unplayed game pile for the last 9 months.  This weekend i booted it back up managed to get past those pesky ghosts in New Londo and kill the 4 kings on the 4th attempt.   Then onto the tomb of giants - with the light spell, it was fine but the Gravelord is busting my balls ... Keeps knocking me over with a weapon from the ground before i even see him.

My biggest problem with the game is the amount of wasted time and repetiton going back through areas to get back to the boss following a death.   Why isnt a bonfire next to the white light before a boss?  The challenge and fun of exploring is still there to get to it in the first place.  From where i am in the second bonfire ive got to run along a bunch of narrow passages, avoiding the giant skeletons and pinwheels before i can have another try. 

So for the second one I'm hoping for slightly more bonfires and less time wasting and the same DS challenge and action.

I also found the latest trailer very interesting (apart from voice over guy sounding a bit out of place).   Emphasizing the "never give up" aspect as opposed to the "prepare to die" of the last one.   A little chink of light and hope can only be a good thing right? 
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 12, 2014, 12:50:33 AM »

You're all just too busy playing the game to post in here, right?

I didn't even see Game Journal posts. And the game's fantastic so far.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #198 on: March 12, 2014, 12:54:02 AM »

^

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 12, 2014, 01:27:34 AM »

^^
Deufo
The Duke

Three times faster

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #200 on: March 12, 2014, 01:35:46 PM »

I am currently being mercilessly beaten by some kind of blob boss. The difficulty level on this game is just superb.
kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #201 on: March 12, 2014, 02:15:27 PM »

sadly my newegg preorder seems to have not shipped yet, I have a bad feeling about this. welp, guess I'll just grind d3 in the meantime.

Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 12, 2014, 03:17:54 PM »

Loving it so far, but one boss in particular is pretty terrible.  He's one from the beta, so no surprises considering he was fucking awful back then.  His hit box is always sorts of screwy and has a tendency to glitch in his rotations, which can result in an unblockable attack coming from nowhere.  The camera is also the biggest enemy in that section and resulted in me getting backstabbed a couple of times.  Needless to say, I've turned the game off to take a short break before I punch a wall.

Again, LOVING this game so far, but this boss fight is just cheesy and awful.  They have never gotten these kinds of bosses right, and it's a real shame. 
Deufo
The Duke

Three times faster

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: March 12, 2014, 03:41:56 PM »

Loving it so far, but one boss in particular is pretty terrible.  He's one from the beta, so no surprises considering he was fucking awful back then.  His hit box is always sorts of screwy and has a tendency to glitch in his rotations, which can result in an unblockable attack coming from nowhere.  The camera is also the biggest enemy in that section and resulted in me getting backstabbed a couple of times.  Needless to say, I've turned the game off to take a short break before I punch a wall.

Again, LOVING this game so far, but this boss fight is just cheesy and awful.  They have never gotten these kinds of bosses right, and it's a real shame. 

Is that boss The Pursuer?

I've currently hit a dead end on two bosses, so i'm exploring to see if i can find some new paths, and already found one. Also looking for embers.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #204 on: March 12, 2014, 05:39:11 PM »

I'm probably not going to be able to pick up my copy of this until Friday. Sounds like everyone's getting a pretty good start though. How's the progression structure? Is it a bit more open world-y, more tunnel-form like Demon Souls, or fake-out open world like Dark Souls (where you technically could go anywhere but without specific items/powers from earlier regions you're typically screwed without speed run shenanigans)?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 08:48:16 AM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #205 on: March 12, 2014, 05:48:37 PM »

Here, have my journal:

Amazon is kicking my behind, the mailman keeps stealing my souls.
Seriously, it was supposed to be out for final delivery yesterday, but I think the mailman lost it.  I'm going through withdrawal symptoms and I haven't even played the game yet.
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 12, 2014, 06:45:32 PM »

I've put about eleven hours in, and the world feels more like giant expansive levels than one continuous world.  Think the second half of Dark Souls where you go through the catacombs to the tomb and then to fight Nito.  I haven't found any connections between these branches but they certainly could be there. 

About the only real complain I have with the game is the bosses, honestly.  They have either been way too easy or kinda cheap.  Hit my second boss that had me cursing up a storm, mostly because I keep getting caught on his elbow and then, surprise, AOE attack with pretty insane range that has to be dodged perfectly.  I'm hesitant to use a human effigy to call in help because that did not go well last time.  My helper dude ended up getting pasted by the boss' first attack and I ended up dying.  I really wish they would just revive you to human form after you help another player clear a boss.  That worked so dang well in Demon's Souls and I really miss that mechanic.

Again, minor complaints for a pretty awesome game so far.  The bosses are getting bigger and nastier, which is good. 
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 12, 2014, 07:40:06 PM »

I've put about eleven hours in, and the world feels more like giant expansive levels than one continuous world.  Think the second half of Dark Souls where you go through the catacombs to the tomb and then to fight Nito.  I haven't found any connections between these branches but they certainly could be there. 

About the only real complain I have with the game is the bosses, honestly.  They have either been way too easy or kinda cheap.  Hit my second boss that had me cursing up a storm, mostly because I keep getting caught on his elbow and then, surprise, AOE attack with pretty insane range that has to be dodged perfectly.  I'm hesitant to use a human effigy to call in help because that did not go well last time.  My helper dude ended up getting pasted by the boss' first attack and I ended up dying.  I really wish they would just revive you to human form after you help another player clear a boss.  That worked so dang well in Demon's Souls and I really miss that mechanic.

Again, minor complaints for a pretty awesome game so far.  The bosses are getting bigger and nastier, which is good. 

Try the inverse: keep offering your help and get used to the boss, THEN turn human and get help. I was stuck on the boss before the Blue Sentinels covenant, and just kept helping people get through him so that I'd have an easier time when I attempted it again, and I was completely curbstomped the first time.

Though I also poked around in other areas some more and tried different weapons. Maces are pretty good for that area.
mrchoppy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #208 on: March 13, 2014, 05:03:36 AM »

I'm a Brit and it doesnt release here till tomorrow. 

I'm looking forward to it and I like the sound of the tweaks they have made.
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 13, 2014, 11:46:30 AM »

Hugely impressed with how well the dedicated servers are working.  Been helping dudes all morning with a boss that gave me a tough time.  Oh, and PRAISE THE SUN!!!
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 20 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: