Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 28, 2014, 09:19:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329787 Posts in 13518 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Square-Enix is teasing something.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Square-Enix is teasing something.  (Read 3722 times)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: December 10, 2012, 02:28:04 AM »

Here.

Some people are speculating that it's a new Star Ocean game but I'm not sure I buy it.  Well, it's certainly star-y.

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 03:05:07 AM »

As one of the five people on the planet who enjoyed SO4 despite its stupid characters, I'd be excited for a new entry in the series, but I'm not exactly sure where they'd go with the storyline.  I mean we have a concrete "end" so to speak, in SO3, and we've already seen the Universe 700,000,000,000 years before the series began in SO2.  And of course SO4 being a prequel as well.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 06:00:02 AM »

I enjoyed star ocean 4 as well, outside of terrible.characters. I'd like to see a new star ocean entry that doesn't have such a bleh story and lame characters, because the gameplay is always solid.

TASTY!
mjrpgfan

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 06:18:12 AM »

I might give another Star Ocean a go, but it's going to be hard to top Tales of Graces F's combat.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 07:11:37 AM »

According to gamespot, SE is teasing a new Star Ocean.

You guys probably got it right. Even though I've had my gripes with SO3 and SO4 I'm still looking forward to the next one as in general I like Tri-Ace games.

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 08:09:05 AM »

If they make a SO5, I'd be completely OK with them retconning everything.
Or just do like FF and never consider the other games.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 12:04:28 PM »

If they make a SO5, I'd be completely OK with them retconning everything.
Or just do like FF and never consider the other games.

According to gamespot, SE is teasing a new Star Ocean.

You guys probably got it right. Even though I've had my gripes with SO3 and SO4 I'm still looking forward to the next one as in general I like Tri-Ace games.

As one of the five people on the planet who enjoyed SO4 despite its stupid characters, I'd be excited for a new entry in the series

SO!!!

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 12:12:39 PM »

If it is Star Ocean, I just hope we don't spend too much time putzing about in Medieval settings yet again...

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 12:59:20 PM »

If it is Star Ocean, I just hope we don't spend too much time putzing about in Medieval settings yet again...

Isn't that what the serie is about?

Part 1: High tech people dicking around in low tech world
Part 2: Starting character + low tech characters dicking around in super high tech world killing god planet dragon... thingy?
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 01:58:13 PM »

I guess more words keep getting added to the right side as the countdown continues.  I'm down for a new Star Ocean.  Even though the characters and often the plot make me SMH, they're still fun to play. 

Also, I could see this being on the Vita.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 02:01:39 PM by Akanbe- » Logged

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 01:59:45 PM »

Personally, I think the series has never had very good characters or story-- but SO4 was much worse than normal. I'd be a fan of them going the "total plot reboot" angle. They might even drop the number and go with a subtitle or a new "name" (like Star GALAXY!) to empahsize the reboot.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 02:06:39 PM »

Tri-Ace has never been good at plot or characters. When the story's good, they make it a pain to see the whole thing. Anyway, I actually enjoyed SO4 as well, but it was a combination of playing an excellent battle system and watching a funny-bad anime. I didn't like SO3 much because of the ridiculous plot twist, a big chunk of the plot was utterly meaningless and the characters tended towards being massively underdefined. The MP health thing was a huge pain as well.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 02:18:00 PM »

Tri-Ace has never been good at plot or characters. When the story's good, they make it a pain to see the whole thing. Anyway, I actually enjoyed SO4 as well, but it was a combination of playing an excellent battle system and watching a funny-bad anime. I didn't like SO3 much because of the ridiculous plot twist, a big chunk of the plot was utterly meaningless and the characters tended towards being massively underdefined. The MP health thing was a huge pain as well.

MP thing was great.  I only had about 4 instances where I was MP killed.  IIRC, Freja in Sphere 211 was easier to kill with MP kill, so I thought it was awesomely misleading and different.  But yeah, it can be a pain in the butt (I guess I was just proud when I pulled off a kill that way).

I think VP was Tri-Ace's best attempt at story, bar none.  Even with all the love SO2 gets, it's plot it absolutely shit but one of those rare instances where the insane amount of "classic-ness" to it and the wonderful battle system get in the way of you noticing it too bad.

Either way, the SO series has a great atmosphere and general setting that allow great room for new ventures.  The whole sci-fi/fantasy is a lot of fun for great new settings.  And that's one thing SO4 got right, the scenery was pretty to look at.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2012, 03:21:49 PM »

Personally, I think the series has never had very good characters or story-- but SO4 was much worse than normal. I'd be a fan of them going the "total plot reboot" angle. They might even drop the number and go with a subtitle or a new "name" (like Star GALAXY!) to empahsize the reboot.
Ashton and Claude both have bones to pick with you!

Ashton Anchors is the greatest backup character in an rpg outside of.....anyone. Plus his dragon twins kick ass.

TASTY!
Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 03:44:48 PM »

I'll admit that I tend to put women in my parties because:
- I like women
- Most men are underdeveloped silent/cool dudes who only look good and have next to no personality

Ashton is one of the few men in JRPGs that always had a spot in my party. The dude isn't cool (he tries hard though), he's goofy and gets barrel induced boners.

Ashton rocks.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: