Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 04:47:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319062 Posts in 13031 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Square-Enix is teasing something.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Square-Enix is teasing something.  (Read 2985 times)
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2012, 05:05:21 PM »

Eh, I have to chime in on the side that the MP = HP mechanic was absolute garbage. I remember not even being aware of it during a playthrough and wanting to run with Maria in my party. I noticed that after a bit of leveling her skills included MP damage and I thought 'Huh; that's cool, this'll help against spell spammer enemies.' So I kept her in the party until I noticed things were dying in only one to two hits to her out of the blue. (I wasn't really over leveled or over geared.) Looked it up and yep; found out the MP damage ratios on her skills were just that insane. Was really disappointing because then I had to chose between playing a character I liked and having the game be craptastically broken easy or just not using her.

Someone didn't do a very good job balancing that system; otherwise it might've been more fun.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2012, 07:05:45 PM »

Someone didn't do a very good job balancing that system

It's a tri-Ace game.  They are as balanced as someone with two inner-ear infections.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2012, 07:22:51 PM »

It's a tri-Ace game.  They are as balanced as someone with two inner-ear infections.

Truth be told, I prefer it to be as breakable as all hell.

My bigger concern is whether breaking the game over my knee is worth the effort to break the game over my knee rather than to just play it straight (see: SO2; sure my entire party is level 100 and I have the components for the Eternal Sphere before the tourney, but what good is any of that when the remainder of disk 1 and a good chunk of disk 2 is completely littered with unwinnable boss fights and scripted losses when I could've spent far far less time progressing normally to have achieved the same effect).

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Annubis

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2012, 07:54:35 PM »

SO3 was awesome at 4D difficulty.
Completely unfair... but still do-able.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2012, 12:36:56 AM »

Either way, the SO series has a great atmosphere and general setting that allow great room for new ventures.  The whole sci-fi/fantasy is a lot of fun for great new settings.  And that's one thing SO4 got right, the scenery was pretty to look at.

This just reminds me that we could stand to have more Sci-fi/Fantasy RPG hybrids than just SO, PS, ME, and RG.

Or at least a Sci-fi/Fantasy RPG that doesn't feel like it was written by somebody who's too terrible to write bad anime.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2012, 01:31:45 AM »

I don't think I ever played a Tr-Ace game... but there's your fucking quote right there, my friend.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2012, 02:18:22 AM »

Truth be told, I prefer it to be as breakable as all hell.

My bigger concern is whether breaking the game over my knee is worth the effort to break the game over my knee rather than to just play it straight (see: SO2; sure my entire party is level 100 and I have the components for the Eternal Sphere before the tourney, but what good is any of that when the remainder of disk 1 and a good chunk of disk 2 is completely littered with unwinnable boss fights and scripted losses when I could've spent far far less time progressing normally to have achieved the same effect).

Scripted battles are so annoying, and a cheap way at "artificially" creating gameplay.  Fucking FF4 was stupid for these, and a good way to not make a separate scene for the action either.  FF9 had about 5 separate bouts with Beatrix, none that could be won (I think the end of Disc 1 was essentially trying to get by her).  Star Ocean was a pain in the ass since it was a proper waiting game of literally running away from an over-powered foe.  Baten Kaitos had a few of these too (they were particularly fond of having you survive against super-bosses too, ones you'd have to immediately "heal" whenever someone got hit). 
I mean, if you don't want me to win, then just say it... 

I don't understand the balance bit with Tri-Ace games.  I always found it fair: if you use their in-game mechanics, you can trump your enemy, if you don't and try to grind like just about all other games, you'll probably lose.  In SO2, it's a pretty smooth ride, some bosses harder than others, but the final boss will be what gives you trouble (good on the *final* boss).  In SO3, the battles on the way to the big Dragon fight (Crossel?) are *extremely* difficult if you haven't made any effort to create weapons and just go along with the ones they throw you in game. VP wasn't so much hard as it was unforgiving to new folk; but those who stood through it can attest how enjoyable it is (and by god do I love it's version of a turn-based battle system what with #'d attacks and timing them).  Maybe it's just me, but I love Tri-Ace's idea of in-game balance.  SO4 had a uniquely punishing system: you could level to 100, or you can get 50% of the battle trophies for a unique character, prove you've given a damn in trying, then open up the level cap to 255 or whatever (you could beat the final boss within the 100 cap, but the post-game battles would ruin you).  I guess I got tired with games that spoon-feed you by making a "level up" or two being what make the difference between winning and not.  What fun is that?

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
mjrpgfan

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2012, 02:21:01 AM »

There's no easy way to break SO3 or SO4's hardest difficulty modes/boss fights besides insane amounts of grinding/crafting. Not sure where the imbalanced comments are coming from. I dunno about the first two SO games.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Let's see if you bastards can do 90.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2012, 02:25:18 AM »

The imbalances comes from the fact that the difficult curve isn't smooth, it's all over the place. If you spend five minutes (not literally) doing side stuff, you can utterly break the game. That was my experience with them, anyway.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2012, 02:42:22 AM »

The imbalances comes from the fact that the difficult curve isn't smooth, it's all over the place. If you spend five minutes (not literally) doing side stuff, you can utterly break the game. That was my experience with them, anyway.

I'm sorta iffy on the difficulty curve argument.  I can definitely get why a steady difficulty is good to keep a good pace going, and sometimes I do like that when I just wanna glide through a game more leisurely... but I do like the challenge to stir things up.  I like when a game says: "hey, things are getting harder, what are you gonna do about it?".  I like being forced to do more than attack with my best attacks.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2012, 05:33:20 AM »

given the influence of star trek on SO i could see a reboot of that style. gotta disagree on the mp thing in SO3. learn to play. also say what you want maria traydor is one of my favorite rpg chars ever. maria and nel were both mp assassins.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
pseudonym

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2012, 10:00:51 PM »

countdown is finished and I am waiting.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2012, 10:03:33 PM »

Yeah, seemingly the only thing that changed from the site before is added animation. As expected, it tells us absolutely nothing.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 10:06:40 PM by Cyril » Logged
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2012, 10:10:12 PM »

That's odd, I had the site left open and the countdown was still going (about 6 minutes left) when I read these posts so I refreshed it and now says zero.  What happened to those 6 minutes?

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2012, 10:12:24 PM »

Wada cancelled the game.

They must finish A Realm Reborn first.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=45337877&postcount=1164

Edit: Wait no.

http://stargalaxy.jp/

Is a browser game... yay.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 10:22:19 PM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print