Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 12:19:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332801 Posts in 13635 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  xmas thread:2012
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: xmas thread:2012  (Read 2143 times)
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« on: December 11, 2012, 04:10:55 AM »

Someone mentioned that they're
1) Surprised we don't do a secret santa exchange here
and
2) That I didn't start one (I wonder why Bytor thought that. IRL I'm a nice guy but I can be a dick around here)

I thought about organizing one but there are two hurdles that I think make it hard and not worth it. A lot of people on this site live outside the USA. So if you got that person, shipping would be a bastard. Also if you got someone you didn't know too well, it'd be hard. Sure we all love games in some manner, but a lot of us are also have extensive collections. It'd be pretty easy to get something for someone and they might just flat out hate it or already have it.

Anyway.... it's going to be a nice xmas for me. First time in my own apartment. I've lived away from the parents at various times. Be it away at school or living with various +1s... but this will be the 1st time I had my own place. I'll have zero furniture for a long time but that's the charm of things.

I'll decorate w/ my ancient but cute ceramic XMAS tree that I've loved since I can remember. My parents got it in the 60s or some jive. I've claimed it as mine since I was a kid.

Since I'll be busy getting stuff for the place gifts will be limited this year. In fact I only plan on getting some things for the +1.

Tickets to see Muse
the japanese PS3 Trails HD thing
I'll get her a nice robe to use at my place.
she has an affinity for gadgets and things like that so I'll pick up something in that category.
Coffee in some fashion.

I'll give my niece and nephew the traditional 50 bux each like a good ole uncle.

I'll get my dad a book of some sort.

Mom never gets anything. If you get her clothes she never wears them or returns them. She's also never read any of the books or finished any of the movies I got for her.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 10:00:54 PM »

I'd love to do a secret Santa here, but there'd have to be some rules and well it's too late now.  Maybe another time...  Secret Easter Bunny?

I'm asking for money, I want a Cintiq Tablet more than I want my doggy.  I've decided to save for that.  I'd molest for that.  It's only one grand! :D

I got my mum a jewlery canbinet with my dad to help her with her hoarding ways.  Jewelry is everywhere.  And I got her an iTunes card because when my dad helped her load music onto it, he put a lot of what HE likes...  She likes Mumford & Sons these days too, so...

I got my dad Tim Horton's coffee and gift cards and I'm fixing his custom bobble head. 

I got my brother Star Trek TNG Pez Candy Heads.  It's the whole main cast minus Wesley.

I got my sister-in-law a very pretty jewelry cabinet too.

I got boyfriend Chapters gift card (he's avid reader, unlike me who goes to artbook sections), a map of the world (at night; one of those), and a light saber USB light.

I got my BFFFF dinner and dessert at fancy places.  He's my fat girlfriend, we usually like dining fancy places.  He got me a really pretty Butterfly thing.  It's like a taxidermy butterfly in a sealed frame, it's black and turquoise. Very pretty. Kinda grotesque. But pretty.

I have no money now. 

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 01:27:34 AM »

one of my brothers wanted to do secret santa among our siblings and as the oldest i veto'ed him. long story short i have 4 brothers and a sister and he wanted to decrease his financial burden so he could buy things for his live in girlfriends family. dude immediate family trumps all.

i would of liked to do secret santa here too.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 07:45:29 PM »

I just share my Amazon Wish List with my wife, so she has 5 pages to pick from. I also have things on there from numerous other sites. I love that button.
Basically, I'm hoping for some cool gardening trinkets, a new game, a book or two, and whatever else she deems worthy.

For her I got that Ninja Blender thingy that she really wanted.
some new exercise clothes/jacket
cookbook (+magazine sub)
quirky (aka not expensive) jewelry that she likes
several pairs of fingerless gloves because her fingers get hot when running.
Just Dance for the Wii
plus numerous stocking stuffers.

We got the kid way too much stuff. I guess that's the advantage of being an only child.
The coolest thing is the Lego Vampyre castle. http://www.amazon.com/Lego-Monster-Fighters-Vampyre-Castle/dp/B007Q0OQCK/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1356136578&sr=1-1&keywords=vampyre+castle

My extended family does a secret Santa exchange, which we just started doing last year. Before then I was buying gifts for a ridiculous amount of people. It was a massive gift orgy every year. I tried to change it earlier, but my Dad didn't want to. After he died last year, it finally made sense to enact the change. Now I buy for one person instead of 8. Outside of my wife and son, that is. It's just so stupid for a bunch of adults to be buying each other gifts. Especially when it ends up being a gift card exchange.

Playing: TWD Season 2
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 11:11:20 PM »

I am buying people gifts on steam IT FEELS GOOD.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 01:06:44 AM »

sorry but id have to disagree grim. except for the part with it being extended family. i will never allow that to happen with my family. i dont know how it is for you but for me xmas is like a family reunion. i wont let that tradition die thats why i told all my brothers to fuck off when they wanted to do secret santa. and also when they tried to alternate years so they could go visit with a girlfriends family on xmas instead of ours. i invested my teenage years keeping this family together when our parents got divorced and wont have it be for waste.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Raziel

Megaten Fan

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 01:12:54 AM »

I barely have money to buy food at the moment, so not exactly in the position to get stuff :P. Also, I'm an international student so far away from good ol' Estonia. But I'm spending the time with another international freshmen (who went to the same international highschool as I) and another girl who attends a college nearby as well (and she's part of the international highschool network which I attended, duh, I know, it sounds complicated), so we're having a difficult but cosy time. It's fun. :P
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 01:15:24 AM »

MERRY XMAS ASSHOLES

http://youtu.be/Mk4woNRD7NQ
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 01:59:54 PM »

sorry but id have to disagree grim. except for the part with it being extended family. i will never allow that to happen with my family. i dont know how it is for you but for me xmas is like a family reunion. i wont let that tradition die thats why i told all my brothers to fuck off when they wanted to do secret santa. and also when they tried to alternate years so they could go visit with a girlfriends family on xmas instead of ours. i invested my teenage years keeping this family together when our parents got divorced and wont have it be for waste.
Huh? This is not something to agree or disagree on. Every family does what is right for them. My family all live in the same city and see each other frequently. We don't need to exchange meaningless presents to express our love for each other. We didn't want to eliminate it all together, because it IS fun, so the one person thing makes sense FOR US. Plus, everyone buys for the kids.
Whatever works for your family is awesome by me.

Playing: TWD Season 2
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2012, 01:55:58 PM »

Huh? This is not something to agree or disagree on. Every family does what is right for them. My family all live in the same city and see each other frequently. We don't need to exchange meaningless presents to express our love for each other. We didn't want to eliminate it all together, because it IS fun, so the one person thing makes sense FOR US. Plus, everyone buys for the kids.
Whatever works for your family is awesome by me.

I've noticed a lot of...um, poorer families do the Secret Santa by means of still giving gifts without having to spend for everyone.

Anywho.
I got a full grand from the folks.  They said not to get used to that, after my pop retires (any month-year now) it will be a lot smaller.  But they were proud of me with school and wanted to help my finances. 

I got $150 from my brother and sister-in-law, plus the fuzziest fucking pajama I've ever worn and some hand lotion (awesome vanilla smell; good for this time of year).

Boyfriend got me Far Cry 3 and a Pre Order on The Last of Us (almost paid in full; he reached his spending limit haha).  Come May he's promised to get me the Wacom Cintiq Tablet. :D

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2012, 03:14:20 PM »

Very nice DIce, I'm sure the $$ will help. Little Lady and I seldom get each other anything, normally we take a vacation in Dec but with the idiot drunk driver messing up our car (and making us sore as hell) we decided to postpone the annual X--Mas trip for a bit. I did get her this faux Antelope fur throw blanket as a surprise which she has been curled up in all day now, lol. And she got me a copy of Future Boy Conan (although my theory is it's really for her, lol). We'll spend a lot on each other when we finally take vaca so....kinda low key X-mas here.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 04:08:50 PM by Bytor » Logged

Everything's Eventual
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2012, 03:44:06 PM »

You would think I'm some sort of alcoholic with all the alcohol I got this year. Though I guess I am just at that age where people aren't sure what to buy so booze is the answer. I'm not sure I have room in the fridge for all these bottles of Baileys.

My mum had a rough year this year, well, we all did but it was roughest on her so she got a lot of gifts from me. I got her a netbook, a weekend in a spa and a hamper full of skin and hair care products. It was well received. I guess having kids does pay off eventually.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2012, 05:21:36 PM »

Christmas with the fam went well.

I got some flannel shirts and pajama pants, which I love.
A Capt. America shirt from one of my sisters
Socks and White T-Shirts
$250
And Virtue's Last Reward for the 3DS

My bf and I exchanged gifts earlier this month, but he me got all 7 seasons of the Golden Girls, plus the first season of Adventure Time and some other assorted Adventure Time goodies, including a Jake cap which is totes awesome. In return I got him the first 2 seasons of Star Trek: TNG on Blu-ray, which he's been wanting.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2012, 05:26:28 PM »

Usually go on vacation with my parents in December (with only token amounts of gift giving) but I wasn't really in the mood this year. So instead we went to the Columbus Zoo together on the 23rd, then they headed off to Florida, and I stayed in Ohio for the sake of /passing out and not doing anything/. Parents got me a laptop. Got my mom some jewelry. Got my dad a toolkit and the new Taylor Swift album.

Stuff I got them only came to about half of what the laptop was so I really need to find some more stuff for them for when they get back but I can't think of any movies/TV series they'd want on DVD. They like wine but I have *no* idea what's good wine. Might go out to Kohls and get them some coffee for their Keurig. Or gift cards. Gift cards are boring, though.

Also need to get something for my grandparents. I take them out for dinner at Christmas, but this year the restaurant fucked things up and sort of didn't charge us for the meal. They gave me money. Donated fifty of it to a cat rescue charity that my parents got one of the cats from. Aunt gave me a gift card for McDonalds. I actually go to McDonalds quite a bit for breakfast and coffee, although there's this homeless guy I kind of know that'd probably get more use out of it so I'll give it to him the next time here's around.

Otherwise, been camping steam sales, looking for stuff for myself and my eBros. Got one of my friends Guild Wars 2 and Rayman Origins.

I got her a netbook, a weekend in a spa and a hamper full of skin

Unfortunately, I have a limited attention span and tend to quit reading sentences mid-way through. I really need to quit doing that.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2012, 07:27:33 PM »

MERRY XMAS ASSHOLES

http://youtu.be/Mk4woNRD7NQ

Oh GOD I think I love you. I'm totally going to play this for my mother tonight. Think she'll love it! ;)

Anyway, my gifts were 'light' (but not really) this year but I was expecting that since the 'rents helped pay a bit of a down payment on my new house. I ended up getting them pretty good gifts this year. My dad got a 6 moth subscription to spotify and my mom got a 6 month subscription to ancestry.com (she's asked for that for at least 3 years) and now that I have an okay paying job, I can afford it.

I got towels! (so need towels) a recipe book, ramen bowls from crate and barrel, homemade jewelry from mom, and a lanyard for school. Oh! And PJs. Not bad at all! :)

No games, but my folks haven't really bought games or tech for me for years.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 07:32:14 PM by Lucca » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: