Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 10:22:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319283 Posts in 13036 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  How do you get the fire back?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How do you get the fire back?  (Read 1749 times)
Haven

View Profile

Ignore
« on: October 06, 2006, 04:02:03 PM »

Like many of us have read here over the years, people grow up and give up on gaming or greatly decrease the amount they play. Others play on and dont really care, making it fit in our schedules. I really miss playing console games, and I havent been able to sit down and really get into one for awhile. I have been playing so much WoW, and I am sure that is partly to blame.

My question is this: Do any of you have a special way to get that fire back? That burning desire to kick the shit out of that game that has been sitting on your shelf for so long.

Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 04:24:45 PM »

I put the disc in and turn the system on...
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 04:30:13 PM »

Quote from: "Dios GX"
I put the disc in and turn the system on...

That's basically what works best. If it's a good game you just haven't played in a while, pop the game in and remember why you liked it so much. You should be back up to speed in no time.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 04:50:56 PM »

As far as gaming period goes, I just need a really, really good game to come along. Something like the recent batch of awesome games (MMZX, Rocket Slime, Okami) work great there. For a specific game though, I either need to have an urge to play that game (usually only comes up for games I've had for a long while, like Vagrant Story), or essentially do what Tony said: Put in the disc and force myself to play for awhile. That's not always guaranteed though, as I may just grow bored instead. :P
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 05:30:21 PM »

Yeah I was out of gaming for a few months.  For the most part it was because I got distracted by youtube and I was forcing myself to only play one RPG at a time.  Unfortunately for me, that RPG was one I wasn't into.  The bevy of upcoming games served as the impetus for me to finally finish said game.  Still the fire didn't burn again until I played Xenosaga III.  So like others said, you just need to sit down and play a really good game.

Currently Playing:  Fate/Extra, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Thief
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 05:31:52 PM »

I play Fallout 2 again.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 08:26:19 PM »

Quote from: "KeeperX"
I play Fallout 2 again.

Seconded.  Whenever I'm getting a little sick of the standard RPG, I go back to the greatest one ever made and all becomes right with the world. :P

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2006, 11:51:33 AM »

I miss video games. I really do. But getting tons of homework happens when you take a bunch of sciences in college. :P

NANOMACHINES, SON.
beans
Cool Hand

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2006, 11:59:35 PM »

Heh, I remember actually having to convince people to give both Fallout 1 and 2 a chance.  

Both can easily get me back into a playing mood.  I think it's the pure open ended nature of the games and how pretty much every play through yields new things and a different way to play it helps so much.  After playing through a game that keeps you on a rail, on a focused story, Fallout's always been a breath of fresh air....  Playing through as a 1 intelligence character was fun!  ...and actually pretty darn hard.

Starcraft can always get me back into a playing mood as well.  Always get swept up in those little wars fast.

Still trying to shoot the damn dog in Duck Hunt.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2006, 12:18:40 AM »

I've been in sort of a slump myself lately, but Okami, FF12, and Persona 3 all made me go back to gaming. Particularly FF12, which is all kinds of awesome.

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2006, 01:21:46 AM »

I actually usually talk to Jay and pick up whatever he recommends. I'm a sheep that way.

That or I just keep the fuck away from gaming for a month and let myself get hungry.
Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2006, 11:22:32 AM »

A new game always helps. I haven't played a game by myself since I started school. IB is kicking my ass. Waaaay too much homework, but I hope that I'll get back into it after FF12.
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2006, 10:12:25 PM »

I'm in the same boat, all friggin' time. My backlog should not even be mentioned, as it's beyond long. Just now, am I beginning to play Atelier Iris and Dragon Quest 8, so. But, yeah, basically force yourself to play through whatever you own. It'll sink in eventually, hopefully, providing the game doesn't suck entirely.
Nad
Morbid Minister

BurningNad
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2006, 03:25:03 PM »

I also have been playing way too much WoW, and neglecting my GC and PS2, as well as pretty much any other PC game. I fixed this by quitting WoW! Now I can catch up on games that I started and never finished, like Disgaea 2, and currently Valkyrie Profile 2. With FFXII coming out soon, I'm thinking that removing WoW from my list of games to play was a smart move.

Nothing.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: