Author Topic: Atelier Shallie, a slight step backwards?  (Read 393 times)

missRPGirl

• Contributing Editor
    • View Profile
Atelier Shallie, a slight step backwards?
« on: October 09, 2016, 12:09:00 AM »
So recently I've been playing Atelier Iris: Eternal of Mana and Atelier Shallie. So far I am really enjoying Atelier Iris because I feel like its following a story. These recent Atelier games that came out on the PS3, I feel like they focus on crafting so much that I don't get a story out of it. Although I thought the balance of craft and story was better in Ayesha and Escha and Logy, but for Shallie I feel like I'm back in Arland again; crafting for no real purpose to the story. Maybe I shouldn't of picked the green hair Shallie?

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
Re: Atelier Shallie, a slight step backwards?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 03:23:57 PM »
All I can tell you is that I own 4 (FOUR!) Atelier games for the PS3 and have played none of them.

Yet.

But whenever I get through them, and then Escha & Logy, I'll look into Shallie and see what I think of it. :P
Current RPG - Pokemon Sun, Atelier Rorona, Final Fantasy III, Tales of Graces f

Dincrest

• Analogy spouting
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Lanterne Rouge
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 04:09:55 PM »
I said something along these lines in my Escha & Logy PSP review.  That while the Iris subseries is more like an adventure anime with some slice-of-life elements, Escha & Logy was more of a slice-of-life anime with some adventure elements.  Iris is the closest to traditional "exploration" RPG structure, whereas the majority of Atelier games are more about the crafting and perhaps the day-to-day townie stuff than the adventure.  The Iris games are kinda the Atelier outliers.

I've played a handful of Atelier titles, and the first Iris game was my favorite because there was more of an adventuring aspect and the character development (especially for the shopkeepers Veola and Blair in the first Iris game) was damn good.  

http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Atelier_Escha_and_Logy_Plus_Alchemists_of_the_Dusk_Sky/index.html
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 04:18:32 PM by Dincrest »
Games I've given Editor's Choice to:
Ever 17, Hourglass of Summer, Anachronox, Persona PSP, Radiant Historia, To The Moon, Revolution 60

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • Tactically Engaged in Espionage Action
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 04:20:42 PM »
All I can tell you is that I own 4 (FOUR!) Atelier games for the PS3 and have played none of them.

Yet.

But whenever I get through them, and then Escha & Logy, I'll look into Shallie and see what I think of it. :P

I heartily laugh at how many people I know who this is true for, myself included (I own all six and have played a small amount of Rorona, Totori, and Ayesha)

I personally just get anxiety over the time mechanic and end up moving on to something more relaxing. And it's not the time mechanic itself that intimidates me, but the scale of it. With a game like Persona 3/4, 1 time slot = 1 activity and you can plan accordingly. But in the Atelier games one bad decision can lead to the loss of a week or more and it's REALLY intimidating.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 04:30:56 PM by Klutz64 »
My Blog - It's about gaming stuff. You can read it if you want. No pressure. I mean, there's a link there you just have to click on, but... y'know... whatever.
Current Post: Grand Re-re-r-e-re-opening!

Chronix112

• Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi
  • Unlimited Insomniac Works
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 07:30:08 PM »

Yet.

I heartily laugh at how many people I know who this is true for, myself included (I own all six and have played a small amount of Rorona, Totori, and Ayesha)

I personally just get anxiety over the time mechanic and end up moving on to something more relaxing. And it's not the time mechanic itself that intimidates me, but the scale of it. With a game like Persona 3/4, 1 time slot = 1 activity and you can plan accordingly. But in the Atelier games one bad decision can lead to the loss of a week or more and it's REALLY intimidating.
If you  are going for A get all endings playthrough it can become very stressing. Still haven't started Meruru after I finished Totori. Some of the character events have A very small window and if you miss them you better hope you have another save comparably near where you messed up.

Dincrest

• Analogy spouting
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Lanterne Rouge
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 07:47:49 PM »
And from what I understand, Shallie is one of the most relaxed Atelier games with the timelines.  I felt Escha & Logy was quite relaxed too.
Ever 17, Hourglass of Summer, Anachronox, Persona PSP, Radiant Historia, To The Moon, Revolution 60

Mickeymac92

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 08:11:41 PM »
I said something along these lines in my Escha & Logy PSP review.

in my Escha & Logy PSP review.

Escha & Logy PSP

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Dincrest

• Analogy spouting
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Lanterne Rouge
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 08:48:38 PM »
So, you'd do a New Jersey table-flip over my Vita/PSP hiccup?  Wow...

...what's Aleppo?  

Regardless, my points about the Atelier series still stand.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 08:51:31 PM by Dincrest »

Mickeymac92

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 08:53:41 PM »
So, you'd do a New Jersey table-flip over my Vita/PSP hiccup?  Wow...

...what's Aleppo?

Yes, because I thought exaggerated reactions were hilarious.

Also...seriously, what is Aleppo? You lost me, there...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Dincrest

• Analogy spouting
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Lanterne Rouge
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2016, 09:02:21 PM »
I was poking fun at myself by also poking fun at Gary Johnson- the libertarian running for president.  He was on a news show and the interviewer asked him about his thoughts on Aleppo and he asked, "What's Aleppo?"  Aleppo is a city in Syria that's been in the news a lot recently due to it being the epicenter of Syria's civil war and meddling foreign governments.  The city has been razed by war and it's thought that everything coming to a head in Aleppo is what started the Syrian refugee crisis.

As for Atelier, the one Atelier game I played where I felt like I was running around like a chicken with no head was Atelier Annie for Game Boy Advance DS.  I needed a nap after that one.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 09:05:19 PM by Dincrest »

Mickeymac92

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2016, 10:07:10 PM »
Heh, I really liked Annie. It was complicated, but it seemed fine so long as I didn't stress out about it. It helped that its mechanics resembled a less-savory game that I spent way more time on than I'm proud of. =P

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

missRPGirl

• Contributing Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2016, 11:29:38 AM »

Yet.

Gosh yes the time aspect on the Atelier games give me anxiety. Although they seems to have gotten rid of that concept in Shallie however now its more about completing crafting task so that it doesn't drop your mood. This wouldn't be so bad but I've crafted things before being given the task on my list and it wont count it since I did it prior. So sometimes I waste time recrafting things.