Author Topic: Legend of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki (now Trails of Cold Steel)

Marshmallow

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • OH NO OH NO OH NO
    • View Profile
Re: Legend of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki (now Trails of Cold Steel)
« Reply #210 on: September 09, 2016, 09:37:04 PM »
Ooooh I don't like the new standard battle music :(

I agree.  The rest of the music has been fine so far, but damn do I hate the regular battle track.

I think my main reason for disliking it is whatever instrument they used for the intro to the track though.  It sounds kinda piercing and out of place to me, and I like the rest of the track.

Der Jermeister

• Journey of the Cursed Fur
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 10, 2016, 02:35:12 PM »
blah blah blah
Well, whatever the case, the story was still shitty in execution and unmemorable.

Ooooh I don't like the new standard battle music :(
Yeah, since most time in RPGs is spent fighting you damn well better have a good battle theme, or multiple themes. I can think of games that have good soundtracks but poor battle themes, Dark Cloud and Chrono Cross come to mind.

Towns Car Marty

• Certified Dirtbag
  • RPGFan Editor
  • the spookiest driest boy
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #212 on: September 10, 2016, 03:37:42 PM »
Agreed, the rest of the song is decent, but that hi-attack synth pad intro is Ni no Kuni battle theme levels of terrible.

Digging the re-arranged version of the chest monster battle theme, though!

Marshmallow

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • OH NO OH NO OH NO
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 10, 2016, 05:08:16 PM »
The synthiness is definitely the problem with it.  I miss the all the piano from ToCS1's battle music.

Lian_Kazairl

• Taskmistress
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Podcast Momma
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 12, 2016, 01:16:17 PM »
Heated Mind? I was kind of lukewarm on it the first couple times I heard it, but it did grow on me a little. Even if you can't stand it, there are tons of other battle themes and most of them are excellent.

Digging the re-arranged version of the chest monster battle theme, though!

That's actually from the Sen no Kiseki Super Arrange album, and it is quite good!

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 15, 2016, 08:02:33 PM »
Whelp beat the last "main story" boss. Now onto the epilogues! Some interesting revelations at the end of the finale. I knew most of them already, but there was one which caught me completely off guard.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 22, 2016, 10:52:53 PM »
Four months ago: "God this game is nearly perfect!"

Today: "Holy shit do I hate this game!"

Boss battles are basically puzzles, and in the latter half of the game it feels like those puzzles only have exactly one solution. Its complete bullshit and is probably the most frustrated I've ever been with an otherwise enjoyable game.

EDIT: ...Or you could just spam all your S. Attacks making cheap and easy work of an otherwise overly frustrating enemy.

Either way, I still feel like the combat system squanders a massive amount of potential due to a poorly conceptualized difficulty curve.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 11:49:11 PM by Klutz64 »

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 23, 2016, 08:23:10 AM »

Boss battles are basically puzzles, and in the latter half of the game it feels like those puzzles only have exactly one solution. Its complete bullshit and is probably the most frustrated I've ever been with an otherwise enjoyable game.

EDIT: ...Or you could just spam all your S. Attacks making cheap and easy work of an otherwise overly frustrating enemy.

Either way, I still feel like the combat system squanders a massive amount of potential due to a poorly conceptualized difficulty curve.
I can't really agree, though I did grind a bit for gear and levels. I found most of the boss fights fairly straightforward, the important thing I recall in most of the fights was just making sure to have buffs up, especially the defense buff and regen when possible.

TASTY!

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 23, 2016, 09:40:24 AM »

I can't really agree, though I did grind a bit for gear and levels. I found most of the boss fights fairly straightforward, the important thing I recall in most of the fights was just making sure to have buffs up, especially the defense buff and regen when possible.

Yeah, Elliot's Resounding Beat is pretty much the most useful skill in the game, and when you don't have access to him battles become that much more of a pain.

Isjaki

• Kind of An Alchemist
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 23, 2016, 09:05:17 PM »
Rean - Vermillion Master Quartz
Domination Quartz and quartz that raise HP and Attack
In Battle: Motivate Twice, make sure HP is full, S-Craft.

I got Rean to do 99999 damage with that one.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 06:32:44 PM by Isjaki »

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 24, 2016, 09:26:54 AM »
I had a dream last night where my mind implanted the members of Class VII into famous moments during the actual French Revolution. I found this strange since, obvious plot correlations aside, I haven't studied the French Revolution since it was a required part of the curriculum in junior high.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 26, 2016, 06:54:57 PM »
I had a dream last night where my mind implanted the members of Class VII into famous moments during the actual French Revolution. I found this strange since, obvious plot correlations aside, I haven't studied the French Revolution since it was a required part of the curriculum in junior high.

So I guess they were equally frustrating experiences, no?

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes