Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 11:57:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334505 Posts in 13704 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  More copyright fun: Let's attack restaraunts!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: More copyright fun: Let's attack restaraunts!  (Read 1607 times)
Angelo
Sephiroth's Girlfriend

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: October 10, 2006, 04:28:33 PM »

http://www.blogs.oregonlive.com/oregonian/newsupdates/default.asp?item=214112

What surprised me is the guy saying there aren't a lot of covers played.  I figured every small-time musician does it at least a little.

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 05:13:11 PM »

1) local band should be sued...or at least PARTIALLY held responsible...not the bar owner...

2) talk about lawyers being dicks just to make some money. Makes me want to vomit.

Ramza

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunderthumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 08:28:08 PM »

That's insane.  Then again, I live in NJ, which is cover band central and even my old dinky li'l 2 bit band would perform the occasional cover tune at a venue.  (Heh, in local music scenes, the only bands that make any money are cover bands.)

The restaurant owner should not be at fault.  I don't really think the band should be either.  They played original music but perhaps threw the occasional cover in the setlist because covers get the crowd going (since it's a song they know.)  I think the whole thing is ridiculous.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 09:13:57 PM »

I'm not siding with either side, but the way copyright laws are written, playing cover songs is technically an infringement.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 10:54:20 PM »

Copyright law enforcement should not be this strict however. It's one thing if someone is playing major shows, doing covers without permission. These however, are just small local bands, whose profits are inconsequential to the original creator.

This is just greed.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 11:16:58 PM »

Quote from: "Vanguard"
I'm not siding with either side, but the way copyright laws are written, playing cover songs is technically an infringement.

In that case, they should be warning the band and the restraunt not to have the copyright infringement song played again. Not sue to the point of shutting down a business, that's almost like shooting someone in the head over swiping a candy bar.

Personally, I really don't see this as being bad enough to warrant this kind of response. It's just one song played in a bar, it's not like they're handing out CD-Rs of the copyrighted music and whatnot.
Vanguard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 01:06:40 AM »

I agree with Eusis, they should receive a warning. This is on par with going into a bar and arresting drunk people; while technically being drunk in public is illegal, it's just one of those things that aren't enforced often.

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 02:31:39 AM »

The hell? Being drunk in public is illegal in America? o_O I mean, I know disturbing the peace is illegal, as is lewd behaviour in public, but never, ever heard of being drunk as being actually illegal.
Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 04:18:25 AM »

Drunk while walking down the streets for example is illegal. Being drunk in a bar is ok. So you better have somebody to keep you under wraps.
Vanguard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2006, 09:00:00 AM »

I know it sounds far-fetched, but look up some news articles about this in the past 6 months. In Texas, police have actually gone into a bar and arrested people for being intoxicated. Here's a link:

http://www.nbc5i.com/news/8034788/detail.html

Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2006, 12:41:40 PM »

What they are doing isn't wholly bad.  They don't just arrest you for being too drunk, they watch for people who are ready to leave that are clearly intoxicated.  And it's not like it was completely unfounded.  And they wait until it's pretty clear that the people are going to leave the bar in that state before they arrest them.
MonCapitan2002

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2006, 09:28:04 AM »

Quote from: "Hidoshi"
Copyright law enforcement should not be this strict however. It's one thing if someone is playing major shows, doing covers without permission. These however, are just small local bands, whose profits are inconsequential to the original creator.

This is just greed.

I agree with you.  I really don't see a problem with cover bands playing some tunes.  It isn't like the original creators are actually going to play in the venues these bands perform in so in that sense profit isn't made.  It seems like a form of extortion to me.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: