Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 01:51:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334820 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy VI
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy VI  (Read 2552 times)
LINK398

View Profile

Ignore
« on: December 21, 2012, 11:21:06 PM »

Decided to go through my favorite game once more. Funny thing is I've started and went through the game a lot but only completed it once. That was a while ago and I used a guide to get absolutely everything. This playthrough's a little different I'm already mostly through the world of ruin but I'm not going to use a guide to get everything or use the coliseum that much to get weapons. Don't plan on defeating the 8 dragons and some other optional side quests. Mostly just getting all the characters and most of the magicite and the question is how hard does one think the final dungeon and boss will be with just doing these.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 02:07:22 AM »

Not that hard if you use Sabin, Edgar, or Terra or a Setzer equipped with Fixed Dice in any capacity (except for the Warring Triad bosses) unless you are just rocking Celes, Edgar, Setzer only in which case it can be fairly difficult if you don't know what you are doing since you'll only have three parties of 1.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 05:00:15 AM »

Get all the characters with the best magic/equipment u can get and you'll be fine. the optional extra weapons and stuff is not necessary and possibly op.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 11:18:54 AM »

Why would you want to skip out on them though? It adds play time, makes the game last longer. I mean, who wouldn't want to play VI for a longer period of time? It's fuckwin.

TASTY!
Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 02:53:07 PM »

Why would you want to skip out on them though? It adds play time, makes the game last longer. I mean, who wouldn't want to play VI for a longer period of time? It's fuckwin.

Agreed!

Meandering around the WOR looking for and doing optional stuff was the coolest part of VI IMO.... But to answer your initial question, I don't think it necessary to really "cross your T's and dot your i's" so to speak to beat it.... I would definately take the time to get a few choice members back in my party before attempting to polish it off.... Just taking the time to get get Terra, Cyan, Gogo and Sabin would be well worth it... none of which require major time-sinks... additionally I would get Shadow as well so long as you saved his hide in the WOB... why? Because shadow is the coolest character to grace a Final Fantasy (what other character, silent protagonists aside, in any RPG is as developed and dimensional as shadow without him ever speaking more then a handful of dialogue and not even being playable for a good half of the game.... genius I tell ya.... genius....)

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 07:14:35 PM »

I love FF6, all the characters were awesome. In fact, I love FF6 so much that I don't get the obession with 7. I was underwhelmed by 7, mostly because I loved FF6 characters so much more.
pseudonym

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 09:37:31 PM »

I love FF6, all the characters were awesome. In fact, I love FF6 so much that I don't get the obession with 7. I was underwhelmed by 7, mostly because I loved FF6 characters so much more.

I agree. VII started out great and then started to lag around the 2nd and 3rd disc.

VI is so great because it exemplifies everything one would want with a RPG: story, gameplay, characters, villian, charm, atmosphere (steampunkish), and music. It has the "it" factor. Granted, today people may not appreciate it as much as the timeless classic as it is. It was groundbreaking for its day and still is a better rpg than current games of the genre.

Something about the game, especially the music, makes me feel like I'm in a dream-like world. It really appeals to the fantasy in my imagination. Current games have not had that same appeal to my those feelings like VI has. I still see the beauty of VI even though I am older and have become harder to please.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 01:20:04 AM »

Why do you think I'm still rocking a Kefka avatar after all these years?  Of course FFVI is great!  I can't think of another RPG with the same kind of scope, sense of adventure, and great characters.  Maybe the Kiseki series if you look at the series as a whole.

My only real criticism is that it's so easy.  There are so many ways to break the game but no enemies challenging enough to require them.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 10:42:44 AM »

Easy or not, I still hate the Floating Continent until a few level ups (there's no where else worth levelling by that point), and The Fanatics Tower (?).  Opera House timed segment sucks beans too.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 10:49:39 AM »

Opera House timed segment sucks beans too.

Oh no you di-nt!

Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 01:36:33 PM »

Easy or not, I still hate the Floating Continent until a few level ups (there's no where else worth levelling by that point), and The Fanatics Tower (?).  Opera House timed segment sucks beans too.

But the Floating Continent is the only legitimately challenging part of the game, filled with level appropriate enemies that actually have challenging move sets instead of some useless variation on hit/critical/weak base-level spell/spell too expensive to cast.

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2012, 01:47:30 PM »

How to win Fanatic Tower (choose one or more):

A) Bring Gau
B) Have 'Reflect'
C) Have accessories that let you attack physically without it being the 'Fight' command
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2012, 01:57:27 PM »

I used to abuse the easy level up trick you could do with bannon early in the game. Just set the commands to memory, edgar auto xbow, bannon health, and terra and sabin fight. Get to the raft part before you fight the octopus, and using a turbo controller, just tape down the confirm buttom. You keep circling around one junction point, and enemies will keep attacking you. A few hours later and you're generally so overpowered the rest of the game is cake. I always giggle hitting the stupid octupus with fire dance and fire 3 at the start of the game.

As for the Tower of Fanatics, bring wall rings and have berserk and rasp/osmose for the last battle. Equip everyone with wall rings and your invincible for 99% of the area. At the boss, hit him with berserk, negating all his spell casting cuz it will heal him on occasion, then just rasp and osmose him til he's out of mp. He'll attempt ultima, but flop cuz he's got no mp, and you win. Also a possibility, learn life 3, which revives you after death, and cast it on someone, then tear him apart, though you'll still want berserk on cuz his physical damage is garbage. His ultima will generally kill anyone under max hp even with shell on. Could also try golem I guess, never did though, cuz rasp/osmose is just so easy.

TASTY!
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2012, 02:07:32 PM »

I used to abuse the easy level up trick you could do with bannon early in the game. Just set the commands to memory, edgar auto xbow, bannon health, and terra and sabin fight. Get to the raft part before you fight the octopus, and using a turbo controller, just tape down the confirm buttom. You keep circling around one junction point, and enemies will keep attacking you. A few hours later and you're generally so overpowered the rest of the game is cake. I always giggle hitting the stupid octupus with fire dance and fire 3 at the start of the game.

As for the Tower of Fanatics, bring wall rings and have berserk and rasp/osmose for the last battle. Equip everyone with wall rings and your invincible for 99% of the area. At the boss, hit him with berserk, negating all his spell casting cuz it will heal him on occasion, then just rasp and osmose him til he's out of mp. He'll attempt ultima, but flop cuz he's got no mp, and you win. Also a possibility, learn life 3, which revives you after death, and cast it on someone, then tear him apart, though you'll still want berserk on cuz his physical damage is garbage. His ultima will generally kill anyone under max hp even with shell on. Could also try golem I guess, never did though, cuz rasp/osmose is just so easy.

Fuck no. Rasp/Osmose take forever to bleed away Magimaster's MP (Magimaster has about the same amount of MP as he does HP but MP damage is limited by the MP total cap of just 999, and that's if you can even hit that given that all you have is Rasp (though Osmose can do it if you actually have 999MP but you then need to bleed that all away since it will only drain back what you are missing and it's just slow and tedious no matter which way you do it)). Just use the Berserk trick, nuke his sorry ass, and eat the Ultima with someone/everyone having Life 3 applied.

Also the auto leveling trick is a pretty bad idea as well due to not having Espers and their level up bonuses.

Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2012, 03:40:54 PM »

I agree. VII started out great and then started to lag around the 2nd and 3rd disc.

VI is so great because it exemplifies everything one would want with a RPG: story, gameplay, characters, villian, charm, atmosphere (steampunkish), and music. It has the "it" factor. Granted, today people may not appreciate it as much as the timeless classic as it is. It was groundbreaking for its day and still is a better rpg than current games of the genre.

Something about the game, especially the music, makes me feel like I'm in a dream-like world. It really appeals to the fantasy in my imagination. Current games have not had that same appeal to my those feelings like VI has. I still see the beauty of VI even though I am older and have become harder to please.

I can relate to that.
I've been a big fan of the series but for some reason the one time I played it I dropped it at the beginning. Then about a month or so before XIII wa released I decided to play it on the PSP but for real this time and I can't believe how invested I became. Unlike most here, I only liked a few characters but everything else is fantastic.

I recommended this game to a friend of mine who is not new to gaming but believe or not, his first RPG was FFXIII, and he wanted to play one of the old school ones, so I recomended VI and he got hooked to it faster than I could've imagined.

VII is still my favorite but I think VI would benefit much more from a remake than VII.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: