Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 09:36:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334788 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Best Anime No One Has Seen
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Best Anime No One Has Seen  (Read 4743 times)
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« on: December 23, 2012, 11:56:44 PM »

I thought this might be interesting. So, what is the best anime you have watched that "no one else has seen"? I thought it might be neat to possibly check out some shows that are "hidden gems" or shows you liked/loved that didn't seem to get much love. And I'm not gonna lie, I thought it could/would provide me with a nice database in which to find new shows, lol.

Everything's Eventual
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 12:50:10 AM »

Dunno if it's obscure enough, but I loved the crap out of Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo. I haven't read the novel, so I can't tell if its an adequate interpretation of the source material, but I found it to be an excellent anime, and I didn't need any prior familiarity with the work itself. The art in the show is to die for, and the opening gives me goosebumps.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 01:36:16 AM »

Oh man, you had to go and ask this question while I'm travelling.  If I was at home I'm sure I could dig a few gems out of my multiple bookshelves full of anime DVDs...

But here's one off the top of my head:  Here is Greenwood.  This obscure 6 episode OVA is one of the funniest damn things I've ever seen.

Not exactly obscure, but difficult to find thanks to the giant licensing kerfuffle would be the original Macross series.  No, Robotech does not count.  Harmony Gold can go fuck themselves.  The AnimEigo version is good if you can actually find it.

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 01:38:56 AM »

Is "Utawarerumono" obscure enough?
"Jyu Oh Sei" is also another one of my favorites that I never see discussed anywhere.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 01:56:14 PM »

^Not obscure enough I'm afraid. Anybody who's played that Aquaplazza fighting game will at least recognize the dog eared chick with the sword. Plus I've seen part of its successor "Tears to Tiara" and if its anything like that then it was probably thoroughly mediocre too.

Now, I want to say "Legend of the Galactic Heroes" just because those who even know that it exists probably haven't watched it yet due to it being a 110 episode Goliath. But that's both too uncertain and cheating so I'd have to go with "Rideback" instead. Mostly because you'd think it'd devolve into some kind of bullshit revolution or something but it doesn't.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 04:32:54 PM »

LoGH is fantastic.  One of my all-time favorites.  Not sure it counts as obscure, though.  At least among anime fans it has a reputation (though I too don't know how many people have actually seen it).

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 05:01:59 PM »

Fang of The Sun Dougram - Even among old-school Mecha fans, it's obscure. Yet this is easily one of the most complex and interesting realistic mecha stories I've seen, right up there with Gundam. Too bad its animation quality is so bad, even for a show of its age.

Giant Robo: The Day The Earth Stood Still - Best Super Robot show I've seen (well, after GaoGaiGar and Gurren Lagann), but every seems to pass it off due to its generic name and Old-old-school character designs.

Kaiba -  The most obscure show I know, It's actually pretty hard to find fansubs of. It's best and most deep surreal sci-fi/fantasy I've ever seen. I actually had fun trying to figure it all out, and it was enjoyable enough as is, though it was also rather needlessly disturbing at times.

Also, I quite liked LoGH, but because of its currently questionable obscurity status (it was one of the first shows I had heard of when I got into anime, and was one of the first shows I torrented), so I won't put it down just yet.

Special Mentions:

Iria The Animation - It's freakin' gorgeous, and I found it to be a very fun show overall, though I can't say the plot was that memorable.

Genmu Seki Leada - Okay, most people in Japan know this for being the first OVA, but I doubt many americans have actually seen it. I have. It's a fun watch, though I can't remember much about the story since I had to watch half of it in Japanese, but it didn't lose me, so I guess it was unnecessary.

Idol Project - It's one of the few comedy anime that made me laugh, so it deserves a mention just for that.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 05:04:51 PM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 09:53:43 PM »

I read this thread and realize I don't watch much anime.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2012, 07:11:59 AM »

Does [C]- Control, The Money and Sould of Possibility count as an anime that no one has seen? Because that is the most obscure thing I can think of that I have watched(almost every other anime I've seen having ben on Cartoon Network/Adult Swim or based on a popular manga). I'm really not sure how popular [C] was overall. I did like it quite a bit though....could have used a few more fights though.
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2012, 08:51:01 PM »

Does [C]- Control, The Money and Sould of Possibility count as an anime that no one has seen? Because that is the most obscure thing I can think of that I have watched(almost every other anime I've seen having ben on Cartoon Network/Adult Swim or based on a popular manga). I'm really not sure how popular [C] was overall. I did like it quite a bit though....could have used a few more fights though.

I heard it was pretty bad and thus doesn't count. Gatch/Zatch Bell was a better entry into the 'gotta' catch/beat them all' genre if, for no other reason, than because the main character's not-Pokémon's final attack was shooting a dragon made of dragons made of lightning.

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2012, 09:05:29 PM »

I actually heard [C] was pretty good...just really heavy on the implied shounen-ai. But yeah, I don't think it quite counts since quite a few people watched it, and to be honest, any anime released in the last 3 or 4 years is gonna be hard to call obscure since there's now giant pictures of every show released per season floating around the internet for everyone to see...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2012, 09:16:15 PM »

I actually heard [C] was pretty good...just really heavy on the implied shounen-ai. But yeah, I don't think it quite counts since quite a few people watched it, and to be honest, any anime released in the last 3 or 4 years is gonna be hard to call obscure since there's now giant pictures of every show released per season floating around the internet for everyone to see...

Maybe I was thinking of [K]. So many god damn shows been coming out lately that have been titled [Letter]: The _____ of _____!

TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2012, 11:26:16 PM »

Potemayo is the cutest show but doesn't seem that well known
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2012, 06:27:22 PM »

this
it was free on youtube but it switched to on demand
but hulu has it

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2012, 06:47:43 PM »

Now and Then, Here and There? I know at least five people who have seen that, and they all said it was really good. I saw some of it and wasn't too thrilled by it, but then again, I may not have been in the right mood for it. It doesn't help that it wasn't anything like what I had expected, either.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: