Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 05:02:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319117 Posts in 13032 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Best Anime No One Has Seen
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Best Anime No One Has Seen  (Read 3126 times)
kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2012, 11:31:31 AM »

Seto no Hanayome is one of my favorite comedies, but be warned there is quite a bit of fanservice if you're not into that stuff.

Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2012, 12:23:26 PM »

Another one I remembered:

Gaiking: Legend of Daiku Maryu - I don't know more than, like 2 people who have seen this, one of them might be here (Aeolus?). I thought it was a really good Super Robot show w/ some mecha elements. It doesn't do a whole lot different, but it does just enough to keep things interesting. The most interesting aspect being that most of it takes place in a fantasy world/other universe, which they actually spend quite a bit of time expanding upon. Not a whole lot, mind you, but enough to keep things interesting. I also liked the characters (in fact, outside of the big bad, I can't think of any characters I didn't particularly like) and thought the story was interesting enough. At the very least it was more focused than your usual super robot anime. Overall it was a highly enjoyable show, and I certainly would recommend it to fans of the genre.

Seto no Hanayome is one of my favorite comedies, but be warned there is quite a bit of fanservice if you're not into that stuff.

Oh, My Bride is a Mermaid? For a second there I thought it was a show that I had never heard of (not that I've seen a whole lot of Anime, it's just that I spent way too much time researching anime one year, so I've heard of a lot). I'm not sure I know anyone else who has seen that, actually, and I'll admit I've been to places where a lot of people have obscure tastes, so that's really something. I know I haven't seen it, though I've noticed it on Funimation and Hulu a couple of times. Mostly passed it off as a simple comedy with no strong interlinking plot - I'm not a fan of those kinds of shows. Any chance that's an incorrect assessment? It's hard to tell by looking at the ANN and Wikipedia pages.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Annubis

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2012, 12:32:23 PM »

The humour is descent in Seto no Hayanome.
'Masa-san' jokes though are always funny.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2012, 12:53:26 PM »

Mostly passed it off as a simple comedy with no strong interlinking plot - I'm not a fan of those kinds of shows. Any chance that's an incorrect assessment? It's hard to tell by looking at the ANN and Wikipedia pages.

Nope, your assessment is spot-on.  There is very little plot in that show.  The comedy can be pretty good, though.

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2012, 01:51:52 PM »

Mostly passed it off as a simple comedy with no strong interlinking plot - I'm not a fan of those kinds of shows. Any chance that's an incorrect assessment? It's hard to tell by looking at the ANN and Wikipedia pages.

Nope, your assessment is spot-on.  There is very little plot in that show.  The comedy can be pretty good, though.

I see. Oh well. Guess that just means there's one less show I gotta see. I mean, I like comedy. but I don't like it when it's the focus of the show, and I prefer there to be a story so there's something for me to get invested in and drive me forward.

That said, does Irresponsible Captain Tylor count as obscure? Not sure on that one. I do know it's one of the best anime comedies I've seen, with enough story to keep me going, and a lot of humor I actually found funny (though still some cringe-worthy idiocy to keep it from being perfect). 'Course, I also liked the characters, especially Tylor. I couldn't tell if that guy was a complete idiot or a total genius. Loved it.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 01:59:08 PM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2012, 09:53:21 PM »

I loved Captain Tylor, funny yet thoughtful. I know I asked the question but would Thermae Romae be considered obscure, it's short but I found it to be funny as hell.

Everything's Eventual
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2013, 12:49:28 PM »

Thermae Romae is one of those cases where most people who follow anime have heard of it, but not many have actually seen it. I think Discotek has the rights to it though.

The obscure one that I like is Project Blue Earth S.O.S. It's basically an anime take on the adventure serials of the 1930s-50s, complete with the garbled science. It's a six episode OVA, but the episodes are 45 minutes each, so it's more like a somewhat oddly paced 12 episode series.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2013, 06:34:14 PM »

Oh man, I forgot about Blue Planet SOS. I saw the first episode and loved it, but never got back to it. And yeah, I've never seen anyone talk about it, I just found it randomly.

Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2013, 10:35:10 PM »

Funimation has it as part of its S.A.V.E. line if anyone's interested.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2013, 10:49:19 PM »

Since this thread has been resurrected, Katanagatari is definitely worth mentioning.  It's on my mind because it's being rebroadcast in Japan.  Definitely one of my favorite shows in recent memory, but I don't believe it actually did very well.  When it was originally broadcast they went for an odd, one hour-long episode a month format which may have contributed to it's niche status.  The rebroadcast should be weekly, so hopefully more people will watch it.

On this side of the pond, NISA licensed and released it on disc (I have the special edition box sets, they're awesome), but I don't think it's ever been streamed anywhere.  It would be nice if CR or someone picked it up.

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2013, 05:16:20 PM »

On this side of the pond, NISA licensed and released it on disc (I have the special edition box sets, they're awesome), but I don't think it's ever been streamed anywhere.  It would be nice if CR or someone picked it up.

This has been a show I've wanted to watch for awhile but never got around to it.  What do you think of the dvds?  I heard they butchered the dvd release with poor wording/translation and hard to read subs.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2013, 08:00:01 PM »

Hmm, I guess is the point where I have to shamefully admit I haven't actually watched NISA's version yet...saw it fansubbed when it was airing and then bought the discs to support it (I do that a lot...).  But they could be blank for all I know...came with nice artbooks, though.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2013, 09:24:16 AM »

Requiem From The Darkness - it's about a guy who goes around collecting ghost stories and always ends up in the middle of one.

It's good and also short. Lacking a lot of the usual cliches of anime.

I really enjoyed it.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2013, 09:52:33 AM »

Requiem From The Darkness - it's about a guy who goes around collecting ghost stories and always ends up in the middle of one.

It's good and also short. Lacking a lot of the usual cliches of anime.

I really enjoyed it.

Saw it. Wasn't impressed. Kinda disliked it actually.

As I recall, it tried to use the same hip hop style elements mixed with Japanese lore and culture that Samurai Shamploo used but without the ingenuity to pull it off. Also it looked really cheaply made too.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2013, 10:08:13 AM »

Isn't that the plot from Scooby Doo? ;)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: