Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 02:19:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327544 Posts in 13410 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  RPG's for the iPad!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: RPG's for the iPad!  (Read 2189 times)
GuardianBoi

SOphie!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: January 04, 2013, 08:51:29 PM »

Sooooo, I got an iPad for Christmas! I didn't even know I wanted one until I had it in my hand. And I'm having a blast with it.

The biggest reason I was given this ridiculous gift was because I was VERY upset that I couldn't play Final Fantasy Dimensions. I played a little bit of it on my friend's iPad and really enjoyed it. So as soon as I had my own, I immediately purchased the game. But here's the funny part, it also suggested that I should buy Chaos Rings as well...so I did and I've been hooked. It's a pretty mindless, somewhat easy game. But I'm enjoying the story very much and it's very easy to just pick up and put down. I'm almost done with it so I bought the prequel and the sequel...which means I'll be busy for a while. :)

Which comes to my question: Sure, I have a decent amount to get me started on the iPad RPG's....but what about when I'm done? What else should I get? My iPad is basically becoming a portable gaming system for me, so I would like to make it worth my while.

Suggestions?

pigTails of...
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 11:22:00 PM »

I'd give you recommendations, but... I've written reviews of every iOS RPG I've played.  Easier to just point you to our reviews page and say "sort by score." :)

http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews-ipodiphone.html

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
GuardianBoi

SOphie!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 08:39:18 PM »

Which is exactly WHY I bought Chaos Rings. I love reading all these reviews. It's one of the only review sites I really take seriously. :)

pigTails of...
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 08:50:54 PM »

If/when I procure an iPad, this is one RPG I'd want to try, mainly because I was an 80s kid.  I just hope it delivers a decent enough RPG experience, since a gimmick can only go so far.  http://www.mightyrabbitstudios.com/?page_id=48

I approve of this nonsense!
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 09:15:04 PM »

If/when I procure an iPad, this is one RPG I'd want to try, mainly because I was an 80s kid.  I just hope it delivers a decent enough RPG experience, since a gimmick can only go so far.  http://www.mightyrabbitstudios.com/?page_id=48

I don't know what's sadder, the fact that its taken somebody this long to make a Mighty Rabbit game, the fact that somebody's actually making a Mighty Rabbit game instead of continuing to let the dead rest and the past remain the past, or that I immediately recalled that piece of crap movie when I saw the link.

The logical conclusion to this will eventually be a Fern Gully: The Last Rainforest RPG (but not before The Brave Little Toaster/Rock-a-doodle-doo/The Page Master/either of the An American Tail movies/All Dogs Go to Heaven/The original Land Before Time movie (fuck the billion or so and counting sequels)/A Troll in Central Park/The 80's Felix the Cat movie/Secret of Nymh/Thumbelina/Swan Princess gets one).

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 09:57:23 PM »

I don't think they're actually making a Mighty Rabbit game. I think that's just the name of the studio.

Only RPG I have is Avadon, and I haven't played that yet...sorry, guess I'll be watching this space, too.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 10:09:10 PM »

It's not a game based on any Mighty Rabbit movie.  However, it is harbored around 1980s nostalgia.  It has piqued my interest for obvious reasons, but I always look at these things kinda guarded.  Maybe that's because I'm a reviewer. 

I approve of this nonsense!
Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 02:30:23 PM »

Definitely try FF Dimenisons. You can play the prelude chapter for free I believe, so you can see if it feels right before paying for it.
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 12:19:39 PM »

I have wanted to play Vay again for years.... I can hardly remember it from when I was a kid, but I do remember NOT completing it and being pissed off that I didnt..... certainly not the most enticing thing available on IPads, but that will be my first go-to title when I finally indulge.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 12:26:48 PM »

One game worth mentioning not in our iOS listings is Avadon: The Black Fortress. Really terrific if you like the old school Infinity Engine games. I reviewed it for PC here but have also played it on iOS and it plays very nicely there as well - not Editor's Choice level nice just because not everything translates from mouse to touch screen quite as seamlessly as one might hope, but nice enough to be a fantastic game.

Of course, Baldur's Gate, the original Infinity Engine game, is available on iPad now also and is an absolute triumph IMO.

Something that sort of falls outside our coverage but is a wonderful game as well is King of Dragon Pass.
Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 02:47:52 PM »

FFIV just came out for the IPAD, so that's worth looking into.

Chaos Rings II is pretty good

Vay was one of the first RPGs I bought. It's oldschool but I think it's only .99 cents now. Maybe.

Adventure Bar is pretty cute.

That's all I can think at the moment. :)

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 09:41:59 AM »

Serious question - aren't IOS rpgs generally considered terrible at this point?

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 10:08:36 AM »

I play as many RPGs on iOS as I do other platforms at this point. Lots of great ones, lots of crap ones. When the library is as insanely large as the iOS ecosystem already is, you're going to have a mix of good and bad.

But there are definitely some very, very high quality RPGs there that in some cases I think play better on iOS than anywhere else.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 04:03:07 PM »

I thought that was just iOS platformers and action games that require precise movement and actions that aren't really suited to a touch screen? And anything that's freemium?

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 04:05:03 PM »

iOS devices don't have do deal with the technical hurdles to handle RPGs like they do with pretty much any sort of game that requires more than directional input and two button presses.

Its browser based RPGs that are rapidly turning to card game central.

e:f;b

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: