Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 07:37:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334839 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Gen6: Pokemon X & Y
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 33 Print
Author Topic: Gen6: Pokemon X & Y  (Read 31767 times)
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: October 15, 2013, 04:05:14 PM »

Hahaha, I felt the exact same way when he said that.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: October 15, 2013, 04:10:26 PM »

All that's needed is the matching beard and trenchcoat.  >=/

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: October 15, 2013, 04:46:02 PM »

I'm missing a joke here. Could someone explain it to me?

kkhohoho

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: October 15, 2013, 04:51:55 PM »

Same here. :P
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: October 15, 2013, 05:00:09 PM »

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: October 15, 2013, 05:00:40 PM »

In one satirical picture, this what's wrong with the "current fedora trend":

Fedoras are, to say the LEAST, "not in", or "in" but with the wrong crowd who kinda match it terribly with other ill-fitting or clashing fashion choices (fedora + trenchcoat + neck beard)....and some personal choices that are just kinda...'icky', it's kind of a raunchy nerd sub-group otherwise.

It's sort of the current version of how "emo fashion" (and people) were just generally given the stink-eye to for both their fashion choices...and, well aspects of their "generalized" personalities (whether true or not). 
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 05:02:30 PM by Dice » Logged

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: October 15, 2013, 05:03:32 PM »

I'm assuming it's kind of like slut shaming, but done to guys, and more socially acceptable, or something?

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: October 15, 2013, 05:07:07 PM »

Eesh, here we go.

No, it's just not an appealing get up. They want to look good and cool but only succeed in turning people off.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: October 15, 2013, 05:08:52 PM »

No, I'm just asking. I've had people harass me for wearing it with my blazer, and I'm just now starting to get this information. Don't blow it up into something it's not.

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: October 15, 2013, 05:10:43 PM »

I'm assuming it's kind of like slut shaming, but done to guys, and more socially acceptable, or something?

I think the emo thing was a better example because its more mocking a sub-culture for their generalized personas and "uncool" fashion.
Mongoosey said it well.  Their attempts to 'stick out' fashionably (with fancy fedora?) has kinda backfired.

And also, limit talking about specific gender stuffs.  It's also icky.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 05:13:00 PM by Dice » Logged

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: October 15, 2013, 05:12:02 PM »

Can you even buy a fedora in Pokemon? I've not seen one yet.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: October 15, 2013, 05:13:20 PM »

I think you can buy it in the second city, I haven't been buying clothes since I spend it all on Pokeballs.

Dice, sorry but that image was kind of screaming for it. It wasn't about gender, rather the perception of a certain group being judged for what they wear, which is bullshit. Hell, even emos shouldn't be judged for that. :P
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 05:19:19 PM by Ashton » Logged

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: October 15, 2013, 05:20:46 PM »

Nuts to the fashion police.  I got kicked out of a store in Pokemon Y for not being stylish enough.  Well poo to those uppity snobs!  My Cresta is adorable (yeah, I play as a female trainer named Cresta.)  

Funny story at work today (kind about fashion.)  I was in a pokemon conversation with a couple of students in a class I assist in (I work at a high school), and this girl almost freaked because she was frustrated that she didn't get Pokemon yet and didn't want to be spoiled.  She then even said she might return a dress she recently bought (dunno if it was a homecoming dress since that's this week) just so she could get Pokemon.  How crazy is that?  Even when she said, "How sad is that?" regarding the dress, everyone in the class said, "do it.  Pokemon's worth it."  Even a dude on the football team encouraged the "ditch the dress and pick up Pokemon" sentiment.  (Bear in mind, this is a cool, artsy, semi-popular, and nice-looking teenage girl who you wouldn't think was a Pokemon trainer upon first glance.)  

So far, most of the students I spoke with either chose Froakie or commented that "everyone's choosing Froakie!"  Although in another class I assist in (a computer tech/ web design class) a young lady picked Chespin.  Not seeing a lot of Fennekin love.  

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: October 15, 2013, 05:36:20 PM »

On a lighter note, this is the first time I'm playing a Pokemon game and having no idea what to expect from the dungeons/gyms/etc., so I'm having way more fun with this game than any previous entry. In fact, this goes beyond my Red/Blue experience simply because it's like getting Pokemon for the very first time, and not knowing which Pokemon are the best battlers.

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: October 15, 2013, 05:39:57 PM »

I think you can buy it in the second city, I haven't been buying clothes since I spend it all on Pokeballs.

Dice, sorry but that image was kind of screaming for it. It wasn't about gender, rather the perception of a certain group being judged for what they wear, which is bullshit. :P

I said the picture was satirical.  I posted it because it summed up the "common nuances" of what you asked.
I've always shrugged on fashion comments.  I do think expressing yourself is important, but all the same wearing something that "fits" is just a "good idea" (for instance, I wouldn't go to a job interview in "slut wear" even if it was at aims to express myself).
Anyways, the joke with "Fedora Fashion" is because it started almost as an attempt for somewhat nerdy fellas to "look cool" but has since backfired on the intended purpose and invited in a lot of room for caricature (again, see how the emo trend panned out). 

I realize that "fashion" and "conformity" is a lengthy issue anyways; but I'm here to explain than debate. 

And if a running gag to the "fedora-wearing stereotype" is their inability to get girlfriends, I'm sure a nice fitting shirt would work better than wearing an outdated hat and trenchcoat (the same way I wouldn't wear overalls in this age to look appealing).

But hey, the early 2000s saw PONCHOS in style, so what the fuck can anyone say about fashion, but I do think the "expressing yourself" comment can only get you so far.

Nuts to the fashion police.  I got kicked out of a store in Pokemon Y for not being stylish enough.  Well poo to those uppity snobs!  My Cresta is adorable (yeah, I play as a female trainer named Cresta.) 

Funny story at work today (kind about fashion.)  I was in a pokemon conversation with a couple of students in a class I assist in (I work at a high school), and this girl almost freaked because she was frustrated that she didn't get Pokemon yet and didn't want to be spoiled.  She then even said she might return a dress she recently bought (dunno if it was a homecoming dress since that's this week) just so she could get Pokemon.  How crazy is that?  Even when she said, "How sad is that?" regarding the dress, everyone in the class said, "do it.  Pokemon's worth it."  Even a dude on the football team encouraged the "ditch the dress and pick up Pokemon" sentiment.  (Bear in mind, this is a cool, artsy, semi-popular, and nice-looking teenage girl who you wouldn't think was a Pokemon trainer upon first glance.) 

So far, most of the students I spoke with either chose Froakie or commented that "everyone's choosing Froakie!"  Although in another class I assist in (a computer tech/ web design class) a young lady picked Chespin.  Not seeing a lot of Fennekin love. 

Man, the age we live in where adults can talk games with high schoolers.  Yaaay!  I've actually noticed the "you waste your time on video games" comment being spoken less and less.  I tend to spread myself thin between games and fashion and have little disposable income to show because for it. ;___;
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 05:42:28 PM by Dice » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 33 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: