Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 04:42:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338127 Posts in 13842 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Gen6: Pokemon X & Y
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 33 Print
Author Topic: Gen6: Pokemon X & Y  (Read 33636 times)
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2013, 12:57:03 AM »

I just finished Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates of Infinity in order to review it for the site, so I'll avoid saying much here except that I played as Axew who's dragon/dragon/dragon. :)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
wenchwogg

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2013, 12:31:06 PM »

Dragon/Dragon/Dragon?

not sure if anything else does the perfect tri-fecta like water/fire/grass does, but it would be nice to shake up the formula is what I'm saying.
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2013, 12:27:43 AM »

Dragon/Dragon/Dragon?

not sure if anything else does the perfect tri-fecta like water/fire/grass does, but it would be nice to shake up the formula is what I'm saying.
There is.

Dark/Psychic/Fighting

Except, in the grandeur of things, Dark would be the most appropriate over both because of its negation to Psychic moves.

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2013, 01:04:31 AM »

I wouldn't mind if they kept Fire/Water/Grass so much if they just added a second type that countered the firsts weakness.

Fire/Dark, Water/Psychic and Grass/Fighting.

Who am I kidding. It would obviously be
Fire/Fighting, Water/Dark and Grass/Psychic

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2013, 08:19:45 AM »

I hope Fennekin isn't fire/fighting.  They've done that too many times already with Torchic, Chimchar, and Tepig.  The rumors flying around the web suggest that Fennekin will be fire/psychic, though my speculation is fire/normal like other "fire dog/fox" pokemon like Growlithe or Vulpix. 

Some rumors suggest Froakie will be water/fighting, but I speculate water/ice since his white wisps look like snow clouds on high mountains, "fro" is half of frozen, and there are frogs like the Alaskan wood frog who can freeze themselves into hibernation and generally survive winter climates. 

Chespin's rumored to be grass/dark, but I speculate grass/fighting because of those slashing claws. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2013, 11:22:09 PM »

Okay, I'm only modestly "into" Pokemon, but this flood of X & Y information in my Twitter feed is getting me really hyped up.

-5 vs. 1 "Horde" Encounters
-Flying type exclusive "Sky battles"
-Much better looking new Pokemon than the last two generations (imo)
-Improved global Player Search System.
-More info on global release (7 languages, very challenging, blah blah blah)
kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2013, 11:36:46 PM »

ok so we got fairy types confirmed. It's kinda weird that clefairy is not confirmed as fairy type, it's got fairy in the name. And why marill? But hey, balance patch for dragons applied, no more OP outrage, we good.

Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2013, 02:58:36 AM »

Well they never bothered retconning Gyarados into a dragon type for whatever reason (or Charizard), so not like that's the only weird thing across the ~700 pokemon that exist.

I'm excited for this one. I haven't looked forward to a Pokemon game this much since Gold/Silver.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 04:12:50 AM by Hathen » Logged
Zalrus9

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2013, 05:47:32 PM »

What do you all think of the new Fairy Type? Is this a good paradigm shift, or too little too late?

That said, I'm probably going to get it and Nuzlocke it, naming all of my characters after playwrights.

"An artist's responsibility is to be irresponsible. As soon as you start to think about social or political responsibility, you've amputated the best limbs you've got as an artist."

David Cronenberg
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2013, 05:58:51 PM »

I didn't really feel like we needed more than the first set of types... but things still have never been quite balanced.  Depending on how this one plays out, I could see it adding that last bit of change that we needed.

—Kurt Vonnegut
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2013, 07:38:54 AM »

It's true that the dragon type is pretty broken. It has, what, 2 weaknesses, and I think a single type that's resistant? I don't really mind, I'd rather they add new things to the core game (battles) rather than adding new things like Pokemon contests.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2013, 05:14:03 PM »

With fairy types to balance out dragon types... It's kinda like learning the art of balance as we go along.  Like in gen 1, psychic types were unbalanced, so steel and dark types were introduced in gen 2.  Of course, dark became quite powerful (it was possible to get through a healthy portion of Gold/Silver/Crystal with Totodile/Croconaw alone since bite was retconned as a dark move and was effective against a lot of things.)  

And that's not even getting into the whole realm of dual-types.  Sure, a powerhouse like fire/dark is possible but you also have magcargo- a fire/rock type that's doubly vulnerable to water making for a big but puny opponent.

It's kinda like how rock-paper-scissor evolved to rock-paper-scissor-lizard-Spock.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 05:17:08 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2013, 05:22:18 PM »

From the same source who leaked information about Fairy-type and Sky Battles, they also mentioned that Gen 6 would contain Dual-type attack moves.

For example Thunder Punch would be a Fighting-type move that does Electric-type damage. So Hitmonchan would get a STAB-boost from Thunder Punch, but Electabuzz wouldn't.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2013, 05:41:31 PM »

Ugh.  That's a little too much, IMO.

—Kurt Vonnegut
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2013, 05:46:08 PM »

I think people said that during the Gen 4 Special/Physical development too. :P

As long as its clear what move does what, I don't see it being a problem. I like the added depth and potential for new moves. Something like

Thunder Punch
Type: Fighting
Damage: Electric
Power: 70 (I didn't check what the actual power is)
Explanation: It is a punch of thunder.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 33 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: