Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2014, 12:23:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338440 Posts in 13854 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Gen6: Pokemon X & Y
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 33 Print
Author Topic: Gen6: Pokemon X & Y  (Read 33835 times)
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #240 on: October 22, 2013, 11:56:35 AM »

In terms of characterization, this game fails at it unlike how wonderful BW was in story terms.

Also, Challenge Mode & Easy Mode are in this game, except they're disguised as "Off" and "On" in the Exp. Share.

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #241 on: October 22, 2013, 12:05:17 PM »

Well, the Hard Mode in BW actually affected how the AI acts, so it was more than just a level advantage.

As for the characters in X and Y, yeah, they aren't that great, but saying that I've never felt anything for any Pokemon character ever, I've always seen them as just means to an end.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #242 on: October 22, 2013, 01:13:18 PM »

My friend code is 3179-6417-5853. If anyone adds me, let me know so I can add you back!

Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #243 on: October 22, 2013, 04:48:40 PM »

Has anybody fought a team in multiplayer that didn't have Blaziken, Lucario and Charizard?

I have come to the horrible realisation that Butterfree stands no chance with online battles :( Choice Scarf + Sleep powder was the best I could do.Still love ya bro

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #244 on: October 22, 2013, 05:01:22 PM »

I'll add you, Ash.  

As for the rivals, the neighbor rival is Serena if you're a boy and Calem if you're a girl.  Calem is milquetoast.  I didn't feel bad about trouncing him every time (probably because he's a guy and there isn't that silly stigma of "you beat a girl"), but I feel like the element of a dangerous rival just adds a little heat to the subplot.  I liked the danger of the rival in Crystal.  Basically, I'm saying I'd prefer to have a rival like Paul (from the Diamond/Pearl anime) to punctuate the idea of a "bad trainer."  

As for Shauna (the girl with the pink dialogue boxes), I just saw her as an excited little kid out on her first adventure.  I saw her excited reactions to my character (I play as a female trainer) like a "cool big sister" that she wants to be BFFs with; especially since I'm always off on my own, she never sees me and it's like "Yay, big sis is spending time with me and not giving me the brush off!"  

EDIT: And in looking at passerby and all, I wonder... am I the only one who created a dark-skinned trainer?  Maybe it's because of my heritage, but every other complexion just looked pale to me.  And playing dress-up is fun.  I think my character is stylin.' 

As I said before, though, Fate/Extra did a good job when it came to altered dialogue if your character was a boy or a girl.  My familiar was talking to me kinda flirty, my kneejerk reaction was, "cop out!  I'm a girl!" then one of the dialogue choices that appeared was "Umm, you know I'm a girl, right?"  
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 05:47:57 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Nel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #245 on: October 22, 2013, 05:13:09 PM »

Eh, while I like the game, I'd say after how much effort B/W/B2/W2 put into the story, a lot of this game seems very weak in that regard. The rivals are all annoying (stop interrupting my adventure to drag me to some extra thing or give me some speech on friendship or dancing). Team Flare is kind of all over the place in their motives, and they're really just kind of... stupid, overall. There really didn't feel like there was enough of a build-up to the final confrontation with them, AZ and the Pokemon on the cover seem shoehorned in. I know there's foreshadowing to AZ, but his story didn't really make me feel anything. And the gym leaders. Besides Korrina, and a pre-gym scene with electric kid and Wulfric each, they seem to just be there for five minutes before you trounce them. They're so unmemorable that I keep mixing up the fairy and psychic leaders in my head. Gyms themselves were cool though.

I was also a bit "wait, who?" on the champion in this game, but X/Y has one of my favorite Elite 4s in all the games.

I still really like the game, but after the last few installments this one just feels like the main selling point was graphics and everything else took a hit for it.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #246 on: October 22, 2013, 05:24:47 PM »

In the game's defense there though, the graphics seriously needed that overhaul.  Like...super seriously.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Nel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #247 on: October 22, 2013, 05:32:59 PM »

I suppose, though I'll always find the spritework charming.
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #248 on: October 22, 2013, 05:34:41 PM »

Eh, while I like the game, I'd say after how much effort B/W/B2/W2 put into the story, a lot of this game seems very weak in that regard. The rivals are all annoying (stop interrupting my adventure to drag me to some extra thing or give me some speech on friendship or dancing). Team Flare is kind of all over the place in their motives, and they're really just kind of... stupid, overall. There really didn't feel like there was enough of a build-up to the final confrontation with them, AZ and the Pokemon on the cover seem shoehorned in. I know there's foreshadowing to AZ, but his story didn't really make me feel anything. And the gym leaders. Besides Korrina, and a pre-gym scene with electric kid and Wulfric each, they seem to just be there for five minutes before you trounce them. They're so unmemorable that I keep mixing up the fairy and psychic leaders in my head. Gyms themselves were cool though.

I was also a bit "wait, who?" on the champion in this game, but X/Y has one of my favorite Elite 4s in all the games.

I still really like the game, but after the last few installments this one just feels like the main selling point was graphics and everything else took a hit for it.
Well, let me summarize a few points:

Story: Is either the same or below average than the Kanto era, which is probably the worst compared to all games. The only character development you'll ever get is the fun sidequest in the Post-Game.

Characters: are pretty forgettable and never make you like them too much. Case in point, you'll never fight Fatty, Four Eyes, and Tanned Bianca beyond two times. If you took away Korrina's role as a Successor, she'd definitely fall flat in character development to the likes of One Liner Olympia... Actually, Korrina only lives for Mega Evolution yet she knows nearly nothing about what the hell happened to those mutated stones. Some successor you are, roller skater girl!

Villain Team: pretty much is like Team Rocket, but at least their boss showed a lot of hope.

Gameplay: is probably the only thing you'll need to focus on this game and forget the rest that feels like a bonus... But the Mega Evolution mechanic may as well stop rearing its head in future games because nearly all Pokémon who got this DIDN'T really need a boost. In fact, they get weaker because other Held Items are much more important. It's way more confusing how the region-exclusive Pokémon didn't get a single Mega. Oh, and Mega Charizard X? It'll still die quickly because Stealth Rock will nearly cream it before it Digivolves.

Post-Game content: ...what post-game content? Catch three Legendaries, defeat as many rich snobs in the Battle Chateau as you can, fight in restaurants, buy every single piece of clothing for you, participate in the Battle Maison, fill out that dex, and that's it...

Graphics: are very pretty and the fifth Gen can finally touch that ground in battles (not the Pokedex 3D Pro. By the way, will we ever get an update for that?)

Yeah, I feel like the game is better suited to super competitive people. I'm just only filling my dex so nothing interrupts me for PW: Dual Destinies in two days.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 05:37:52 PM by AuraChannelerChris » Logged

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #249 on: October 22, 2013, 05:39:33 PM »

Added you too Ashton

My FC is 2836 - 1129 - 5566
Anyone can feel free to add me. I think I am only friends with Dincrest, Flamingrift and Lucca here. I apparently have an Electabuzz, Luxio and Emolga in my Friend Safari.

I miss having rivals that were douchebags. Blue and Silver made me actually want to beat them whereas Selena/Calem didn't have that effect. I will say that Wally from Gen 3 was a nice change of pace from the previous 2 but like the Fire/Fighting starter, I think it has outstayed its welcome.

I agree that the post game felt really lacking. Especially compared to the past few games.

Totally addicted to wonder trade. Although you get trash most of the time, you do still get the odd treasure. I also love getting Scatterbugs as it means a chance at getting a new pattern. I am up to 8 different colour Vivillons now.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 05:49:57 PM by Darilon » Logged

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #250 on: October 22, 2013, 06:02:11 PM »

I think Mawile needed the boost.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #251 on: October 22, 2013, 06:17:38 PM »

I think Mawile needed the boost.
Of course it needed it, but not nearly the rest of the Pokémon chosen for it.

I'll miss traditional evolutions if they got rid of them as long as your name isn't Eevee.

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #252 on: October 22, 2013, 06:50:42 PM »

As for the rivals, the neighbor rival is Serena if you're a boy and Calem if you're a girl.  Calem is milquetoast.  I didn't feel bad about trouncing him every time (probably because he's a guy and there isn't that silly stigma of "you beat a girl"), but I feel like the element of a dangerous rival just adds a little heat to the subplot.  I liked the danger of the rival in Crystal.  Basically, I'm saying I'd prefer to have a rival like Paul (from the Diamond/Pearl anime) to punctuate the idea of a "bad trainer."  

I thought Serena made the most sense for a rival. She's obviously the best trainer out of the four that start the journey with you.

Also, I don't think having a 'bad trainer' rival all the time jives with the feel of Pokemon, which is supposed to promote good sportsmanship, also because the bad guy teams already fill in the role of 'bad trainer.' Though, to be honest, I'd like to see a game where a rival defeats the enemy team before you but instead of disbanding them s/he takes over as leader and then you have to fight them to disband the team.

As for the story, I thought this game was a step up.

Code:
Pokemon wars? A guy sacrificing hundreds of Pokemon lives to restore his friend? Weapons of Mass Destruction? Population cleansing?
This is some grim shit for a game aimed at 10-year-olds.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 07:55:41 PM by Ashton » Logged

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #253 on: October 22, 2013, 07:31:44 PM »

So glad the plot of Pokemon games is given so much credit that nobody has bothered to say anything of spoilers in their posts thus far.

Just sayin'
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #254 on: October 22, 2013, 07:37:19 PM »

The big reveal about Team Plasma was pretty dark, but it also felt pretty rushed because this technically is brought up to you out of the blue, just as the abnormally tall human walking around the region.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 33 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: