Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2014, 10:13:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331882 Posts in 13590 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  RPGFan Games of the Year 2012 Discussion Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: RPGFan Games of the Year 2012 Discussion Thread  (Read 3819 times)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2013, 10:08:26 PM »

From Ashes aside (which IS free with the CE/Digital Deluxe at least) all that stuff came later, and to a limp reception anyway, so arguing about this as an injustice and reason to not get GotY is, to be blunt, the stupidest damn argument against ME3 I've ever seen. It's just the canned anti-DLC argument, and on a fairly tame target relative to, say, Asura's Wrath keeping THE finale as DLC (and it sounds like they made it awesome enough to at least justifying a bit extra).

All trying to say is that related DLC with narrative stuff in ME feels as if you are buying the game by pieces instead of having all of that out of the box given how all that story content is so crucial to the overall enjoyment of the game.

Stuff like Leviathan felt like it was made as damage control after the reception of the ending, that was only my impression however. But I have seen some people say that if they have seen that in their first playthrough they wouldn't have had a problem with how the ending turn out and I've also seen people posting on forums how Leviathan didn't add anything to the narrative.

So I don't know... is not like I'm actually angry over this. I'm just giving my opinion, poorly worded and everything.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 09:52:52 AM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2013, 10:26:35 PM »

Thing is you can always add more that can add to the story, but, say,
Code:
knowing how the reapers specifically came to be
isn't necessarily a point people NEED to learn, as some stuff like that can work better left mysterious and unknown, or just isn't really THAT important to know. You could throw the same at a lot of book series with a side book (like the Silmarillion) that fleshes out the world more, or a TV show or movie with a side show/feature that adds more, and like said it IS fairly tame compared to Asura's Wrath holding off on the finale for DLC, though I'd still have to play that to see how big of a deal leaving that for DLC was.

There's also plenty of serious arguments for ME3 not being worthy of GotY, and it's certainly not my choice, just that the DLC ranks way lower than stuff like the ending, disappointment in how choices were handled, and sidequests being much weaker than before outside of a few exceptions tied to prior characters, and I think there's about 3 or 4 of those.
GuardianBoi

SOphie!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2013, 03:22:51 AM »

Serious lack of Tales of Graces f on this list.  Definitely one of my favorites of the year. Should have been a shoo-in for best combat at the very least.  Sorry, but Mass Effect and Xenoblade don't even come close in that regard in my opinion.

Who ever you are....I could hug you. I feel the exact same way. I was bummed that it didn't get much recognition. But check out the Editors personal picks. It's on quite a few. Which turned my frown upside down. :)

P.S. you're Kefka icon is awesome too. Twice as many kudos to you. :)

pigTails of...
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2013, 03:47:27 AM »

Graces f almost didn't make it on my list due to already being on there ... two years ago. But I figured U.S. Tales fans need all the good will they can get.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2013, 04:54:35 AM »

I know quite a few people really didn't like Graces f... though I also hear playing on Hard makes it way more enjoyable, which makes sense because it sounds like you come for the combat system and absolutely not the characters or plot.

When I play again I'm definitely restarting on Hard, I made so little progress I may as well do it over.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2013, 03:15:53 PM »

I played it on...what was it, "moderate"?  There's a difficulty between "normal" and "hard".  Rather enjoyed it that way, but some of the optional stuff can be really challenging.  I would be wary of going much higher than that on a first playthrough.  Of course you can always change the difficulty at any point.

As for the story and characters, I actually enjoyed Graces f more than most Tales games.  Not that most Tales games set the bar all that high, but I don't really understand the complaints.  It's an interesting cast with some pretty solid character development.  Though it is more of a slow burn, rather than grabbing your attention immediately.

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2013, 04:05:38 PM »

I played it on Hard and switched to the even harder difficulties as they unlocked.

I really really liked that if you play well, you can avoid every single attack in the game.
Pair that with the major bonus to xp + $$$ + item drop% and you have a great reason to play on harder difficulties.
Although you might want to lower the difficulty for the boss who have speed kill trophies.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2013, 07:39:52 PM »

All trying to say is that related DLC with narrative stuff in ME feels as if you are buying the game by pieces instead of having all of that out of the box given how all that story content is so crucial to the overall enjoyment of the game.

It's pretty much the case with every game nowadays. The solution is buy used.
Why pay full price for an incomplete game?
That or wait for the inevitable "GOTY" edition - though it's telling that Rockstar labels theirs as the "Complete" edition.
They're at least honest about industry business practices.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2013, 07:53:34 PM »

Why pay full price for an incomplete game?

That's case by case, nevermind what the INTENT is here: any creative work can have more added on, as games have shown through ports and updated releases before just tacking more on with DLC was an option. Not to mention that for, say, Bethesda games you really do get a LOT of game for your dollar, so it's more the fact you usually don't have to wait more than a year for a "complete" version (Skyrim aside) that should disincline you.

Mind, everyone has different ideas of what is/isn't worth their dollar, and it does make more sense to wait on something like Bethesda games if you're in no rush to play right away (or want the mod community to mature first), but it can't really be treated as inherently wrong to want these games before such "complete" releases... especially as quite a bit of DLC is kind of crappy anyway to be honest.
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2013, 07:57:55 PM »

They're games. They're entertainment. If you feel your entertainment is diminished for any reason you can let your wallet do the talking. You don't even have to be rational about it.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2013, 09:31:44 AM »

my only issue was the category lists. i dont consider offline mmo style rpg's traditional rpg's and i havent played DS2 but i dont consider DS1 a srpg.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2013, 03:43:46 PM »

my only issue was the category lists. i dont consider offline mmo style rpg's traditional rpg's and i havent played DS2 but i dont consider DS1 a srpg.

Games like Xenoblade are still (essentially) turn based, only being semi-real time versus being full blown real time, reflex dependent like an action RPG, plus on about every other front but battle system it's inarguably one. And actually, I wager most MMOs if you stripped out the online and properly rebuilt for solo play WOULD count as "traditional", Baldur's Gate and KotOR did as I recall.

And Devil Survivor not an SRPG? At best you can argue it's a hybrid rather than pure SRPG... like Atlus's own site did. And personally I consider needing to move units around on a grid to be sufficient grounds to call something a strategy game, with stats/leveling and whatever else bumping it to strategy RPG.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 03:45:24 PM by Eusis » Logged
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2013, 06:09:39 PM »

so you would consider wild arms 4/5 and valkyrie profile 2 srpg's?

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2013, 06:12:28 PM »

They're completely different types of games.

dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2013, 06:19:56 PM »

Categories definitely are tough though, especially with how much crossover there is now. We do debate this stuff pretty regularly on staff. Whether we get it right or not is for you guys to decide for sure, but we do think about this stuff. It's just not as easy as it used to be - which is a good thing actually!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: