Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2014, 11:33:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338564 Posts in 13857 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. the Soulless Army
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. the Soulless Army  (Read 11783 times)
Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2006, 08:38:38 PM »

Quote from: "Raze"
art style(Although the men could use a bit less mascara)

But if that happened Keneko would no cease to exist. ;_;

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Haven

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2006, 12:01:37 PM »

So I just went for it. I am going to focus on the rest of VP2, since I am in chapter 5 of 6. I played for about an hour or so and I really like how this one is shaping up. The detective theme is one that should be used a little more in RPGs.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2006, 10:28:59 PM »

Also offshoot SMT question here, didn't anyone actually play NINE? What was it like? It sort of reminds me of Devil Summoner visually. Prerendered backdrops (or near it) and your little demon buddies following you.

BTW, Cerberos looks cool in NINE. How's he in Devil Summoner? This might decide the game for me guys. Whether or not I get it.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2006, 10:51:21 PM »

In all the MegaTen games, Kerberos has a lion-esque look rather than as a 3-headed dog.  Why?  I dunno.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2006, 11:04:58 PM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"
In all the MegaTen games, Kerberos has a lion-esque look rather than as a 3-headed dog.  Why?  I dunno.

Actually, DDS is an exception there. Otherwise though, yeah.
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2006, 11:52:00 AM »

Yep Cerberus is a white lion in Devil Summoner.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2006, 06:05:53 PM »

persona 3's Kirby ross looks three headed.

o/` I do not dream o/`

CarpeNoctumXIII
Banninated

CarpeNoctumXIII
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2006, 02:05:16 AM »

Just picked this up today and played it for about 3 hours. I've loving this game so far, really good. I do have one worry: I beat the first episode, and there was quite a bit of hand-holding. I'm assuming this is because it's only the beggining and later on Gouto won't tell me what to do or what demons to use. The main reason why this excited me is the whole ditective premise, and I hope it delivers. So far, the game is top notch. Why is there still no review for RPGfan?

--Oh, please. Warping the minds of men and shepherding the masses has always been your Church's domain. You lure sheep with empty miracles and a dead God. ...Or perhaps you, too, are a sheep, Samantha. A poor little lamb, bleating for your faith as though it were milk of the poppy. Yet mark your savior well, for he is one of the demons you so fear, Samantha--
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2006, 08:53:45 PM »

Adding to my ever large backlog of games, I ended up getting this. Why? I went to Dayton today, and between three Gamestops at two malls, I didn't see a single copy. So I figured that, yeah, get this now, or I'll be jumping through hoops later. eBaying for SMT games is NOT fun.

---

Insofar, the battle system's been... really... slow and braindead.

The monster capturing system works far worse than it sounded. It seems like I have to tap the O button VERY fast to get anything done. Usually my companion demons just get killed or kill whatever I'm trying to capture, so I'm not really sure why I need to have one out, unless it's spamming Dia or something.

Occaisionally they pop off spells and kill enemies quickly, sure, but they run out of MP way too fast (If a demon can cast Dia, they'll basically cast it whenever I take any damage). The "Don't waste MP" command doesn't seem to do anything. It either gets ignored, or they shut down or become otherwise useless.

Oh, what else. Blocking also seems pointless. If you have enough time to let the current character animation stop, then you also have enough time to run away from the attack. If you're going to get hit, there's no time to actually block. Unless you were just standing there or something. Again, the controls are REALLY sluggish.

Bullets... Bullets I'm not finding useful. If you use them consistently, you run out. The attack damage isn't any better than the sword, from what I've seen, anyway. Given the unresponsive controls, being at a range doesn't really help you dodge THAT much.

Maybe I'll see something later on that'll convince me that the battle system actually has depth.

Oh, what else. What's the point with having loyalty? I never played the older Devil Summoner games, but it looks like it actually mattered in them. Maybe this is just because I'm in chapter one, but most demons hit max loyalty after about three battles. Other than letting me fuse them, does it have ANY other effect? Can they even lose loyalty?

Demons being able to do stuff on the field's a nice idea, but, uh... I still don't feel like it adds much. Pumping people for information... does it get beyond just picking the right skill to blast them with? I know I'm early but I'm having a hard time imagining this lending itself to creative puzzles.

Also, a few grammatical and spell errors ("And detectives," missing commas) and the cheesy pseudo-1930s-gangster-speak isn't really helping anything.

I dunno. Feels like a budget title, only I paid 50 dollars for it.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2006, 09:49:02 PM »

If you don't like it, wait a while and sell it. It's an Atlus title so you're pretty much guaranteed to at least break even on it.

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2006, 11:03:43 PM »

I know that Atlus games resell high. That's why it was a safe choice. But, like... I REALLY wanted to like this one, though. That's just like, damn. Bummer.

o/` I do not dream o/`

demifiend

eqrunnerguy
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2006, 11:17:04 PM »

I agree that the battle system feels a little limp, compared to heavyweights like Nocturne and DDS. It is Atlus' first attempt at an action-RPG, so I'm tempted to cut them a little slack (correct me if I'm wrong in this). The bullets seem to be useful for stunning an enemy and working around them, aside from the obvious use of elemental bullets to crit-hit demons and bind them.
Overall, I like the atmosphere, the humor, and the music, as well as the modifications to classic demons and introduction of some new ones. I personally think that this is a more "optional" SMT title. Persona 3 is the one I really want to play.

... You have created a demon of your heart's designs, fallen angel? Then doom shall set us apart... now and forevermore... -YHWH (?), Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

CURRENTLY PLAYING: Mass Effect (again!), Persona 3, Lost Odyssey
RECENTLY COMPLETED: Mass Effect, The World Ends With You
ANTICIPATING: Dragon Age, White Knight Chronicles, Wrath of the Lich King, Fallout 3
QUEUED: Lost track!
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2006, 11:35:04 PM »

Does it get... less... easy later on, though? Or at least more varied?

o/` I do not dream o/`

Morwan

Herniated Dick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2006, 12:00:38 AM »

I picked up the game last Thursday, and I'm currently on Episode 4.

The game feels more like a side story than a full-fledged SMT game. I think the translation team went a bit overboard, the  'authentic slang' and nerd humor makes it feel like a WD game at times.

The battle system is a bit frustrating at times. I wasn't expecting something like Devil May Cry or Kingdom Hearts II, but I was hoping for something more fluid. It seems like there are moves that chain into each other beyond the 3 hit combo, but I can't get them to work consistently. I'm also finding that companion demons aren't really useful beyond support, they're either too slow or too weak and I end up doing all the legwork.

That said, it's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Even though the combat system is choppy and simplistic, I still enjoy it. The short length of the battles keeps it from getting too annoying, and I'm really more interested in the demon collecting/fusing aspect of the game than the combat system.

The monster capturing system works far worse than it sounded. It seems like I have to tap the O button VERY fast to get anything done. Usually my companion demons just get killed or kill whatever I'm trying to capture, so I'm not really sure why I need to have one out, unless it's spamming Dia or something.

Is your demon killing your target monster before or after you start confining? Because as soon as I hit O, my demon immediately stops attacking the enemy. Also, how fast you have to press O is proportional to the amount of life the demon has left, I usually take it down to at least 1/4 before trying.

Bullets... Bullets I'm not finding useful. If you use them consistently, you run out. The attack damage isn't any better than the sword, from what I've seen, anyway.

I usually save my bullets for tough enemies, the stun effect is what you really need. Hitting an enemy in the middle of a spellcasting animation cancels their spell, and using them at the end of a combo gives you time to run away.
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2006, 11:58:34 AM »

The whole running out of bullets thing doesn't really happen later in the game.  The store periodically sells bullet clips so you can carry 99 of a single type of bullet.  I usually save them for capturing demons and the boss fights.  Also later on, the demons will have more MP so they rarely run out.  You can always use chakra chips/drops/pots too.  Demons often drop the chips and drops.

I didn't find myself defending much at the begining.  But when you hit the boss fights, you find that it is useful.    

Again, the A.I. of the demons vary.  Some I absolutely hate, while some are pretty useful.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: