Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 08:18:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332827 Posts in 13638 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. the Soulless Army
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. the Soulless Army  (Read 11628 times)
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2006, 12:37:36 PM »

I just picked this game up a few days ago and I'm liking it alot so far.

I haven't found anything wrong with Demon AI yet. The battle system isn't amazing, but there's nothing really that bad about it. It's fun. I actually died two times last night. >_> This changed when I found out that I should use block in this game. lol

I like the NPCs that just walk around, but you can't talk to them. That gives the impression, to me, that not everyone has something important to say to you. It adds to the game.

How long is this game anyways? And is there sidequests? I put DDS aside to play this for now, then I'll get back and finish DDS and move on to DDS 2, then finally finish Persona 2. I'm on a Shin Megami Tensei run.

"Oh, a hunter..."
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2006, 12:58:17 PM »

Some people have finished it at 20hrs.  I've been taking time to level up my demons, fuse them to get even better demons, and then level them up.  So yeah, a lot of my time has been spent in the training halls so my time isn't exactly representative of everyone else unless they are super anal about these things.  I'm in the last chapter and in the 43 hr mark.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2006, 01:04:11 PM »

I got this game yesterday.  <3 the whole fucking thing.  I got really pissed off during the first episode, though.  Every time I fused a new demon, I ended up needing one of the demons I fused to get past a section. :P

Sure, it's really easy (and only gets easier once you can fuse a demon to your sword), but it's awesome, and that's way more important to me. :P

Naked bathhouse boxing for the fucking win.

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2006, 01:42:45 PM »

Quote from: "The Darkrider"
I got this game yesterday.  <3 the whole fucking thing.  I got really pissed off during the first episode, though.  Every time I fused a new demon, I ended up needing one of the demons I fused to get past a section. :P

Sure, it's really easy (and only gets easier once you can fuse a demon to your sword), but it's awesome, and that's way more important to me. :P

Naked bathhouse boxing for the fucking win.

I think they made it easier than their past SMT games to make it more accessable to people that haven't played SMT before. Which is no problem for me. I'd rather not have this game be really hard, so I can just have fun playing it, and then move on to other games I want to play.

"Oh, a hunter..."
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2006, 03:17:39 PM »

Demon AI isn't, like, Sword of Mana level. It's not even that the AI is bad, really. Just a bit sluggy. Although it's possible OTHER things are causing demons to miss, constantly. Such as the fact that casting a spell takes forever.

Anyway, my thoughts on loyalty? I think, in this game, it would've worked better as a method for demons learning skills. Under the pretense that, say, they KNOW all this stuff from the get-go, but don't trust you enough to show your their true power or something.

I also wonder if realtime 3D dungeons, ala nocturne or DDS1/2, with fighting in the actual dungeons and not in a seperate screen might've worked better.

The silent NPCs aren't bothering me at all. They... sort of did in Romancing SaGa: MS, so I'm not really sure what's up. Then again, that was one of my bigger stumbling blocks with MS, so maybe my opinion's just changed and I'll like RS:MS more now. Should go back to it :D

I like the setting though. What I was worried about was that'd lack the urbanness of the SMT games. I really like that. It's why I like DDS2's setting a bit more than the first one. Oddly, even though it's taking place in the 20's, it's... no less urban. It's almost got this hyper-urbanness to it*, because of the recent urbanization. I doubt Pope Urban would like this game, much, though.

Urban.[/i]

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Morwan

Herniated Dick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2006, 06:40:10 PM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
Anyway, my thoughts on loyalty? I think, in this game, it would've worked better as a method for demons learning skills. Under the pretense that, say, they KNOW all this stuff from the get-go, but don't trust you enough to show your their true power or something.

It is like that with combination skills. Notice how they're grayed out when you first capture the demon? You can't unlock them until your demon reaches its first level up with 100% Loyalty.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2006, 07:31:16 PM »

Ah, okay. So they DID do that. I never noticed because... well, all of my demons have reached max loyalty after two or so battles so far. Hopefully this changes.

I've heard someone recommend to someone else that liked the battle system not, to micromanage more how the demons in battle act. I will try this later.

o/` I do not dream o/`

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2006, 09:48:33 PM »

Okay, I just

Code:
did the yakuza naked man fight.

That was... pointless. Should've just done an FMV instead.

Anyway, DS is... sort of infuriating, right now. I like how the story is starting to shape up, assuming it's going how I think it's going (and I think I saw a spoiler or two, so it should be). The pre-rendered backdrops suddenly got REALLY pretty looking. The setting is excellent. The characters and translation are improving substantially as it goes along. This setting, more than any other setting in an SMT game, seems to work for the whole demon thing. The 1920s... well, like with Cthulhlu, the world still felt unexplored back then. 1920s have this mystery to them, I guess?

But the gameplay is... still... slow, addled, clunky, and irrelevant feeling. Demons still miss. Constantly. Demons with heal spells STILL heal themselves even if they're at max HP. Micromanaging demon orders doesn't really help much, for the aforementioned reasons of them constantly missing and never dodging, themselves. The whole concept about stunning enemies and getting crits is neat, except that doesn't matter at all because whether or not you're critting, everything STILL dies in about five hits. Blocking... still seems impossible to do, because you simply cannot chain smoothly from any sort of attack into a block, meaning that you either get hit halfway through that three-strike attack, or right after doing a spin or dash. I can't find anything redeeming about the battle system. That's... all there is to it.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Testament

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2006, 12:38:38 AM »

Iím going to share my feelings. Itís not positive.

The crushing reality of how linear the gameplay is just hit me.

Vague gameplay spoiler:
Code:
Iím faced with a problem. I have to fight a group of demons. Problem is, there is a reservoir between me and them. Despite how capable I know my demon is, the game does not allow me to send her flying over there alone. I canít use a skill to provoke them and I canít use a demon of the opposite sex to lure them to me.

Such a shame. I was really hoping the game would be more open-ended about things like that. Of course I knew what the answer was, but I had been fighting negative feelings about the game since the beginning. That was simply the moment when I accepted that the game was a disappointment.

The gameplay could use a lot of work. The battle system is just so generic. Static camera is just awful, collision detection is questionable, lack of targeting system sucks. The hole thing just feelings really slow and uninspired.

Raidou has the same exact move set from start to finish (I imagine, Iím on chapter 8), that really hurt the feeling of progression for me. Itís a shame that there is no equipment system, any feeling of customization for Raidou would have been wonderful.

Demon fusion has been tripped down, less demons, less combination, less managing, less everything. Itís almost completely useless since so very few skills can be created when you combine demons and for the most part, demons you capture come with fairly adequate skills.

The games visuals are fairly subpar and the only saving grace is the art direction. Megaten games donít have the best visuals, I know this. They have always compensated with a fantastic visuals style. Something that looks great despite how low the polygon count is or how old it is.

The biggest disappointment for me though is lack of any kind of experimentation with the detective elements. Everything is set in stone.  
There is no sense of discovery. There is only one option for each situation and you can't even figure that out by trial and error.

The story, characters and atmosphere are just amazing. It seems wrong for me to push myself to finish a Megaten game just for that though.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2006, 01:29:43 AM »

I noticed something similar. There's a building in... some section, that's a winery, I believe. Sometimes you can bum stuff off of these buildings if you solo a demon. So I sent out poltergeist. "I'm too young to drink alcohol" it said. Okay. Azumi constantly talks about how old she is, so I sent HER out...

Same message. Wow.

The puzzles are... just... uncreative, in every sense.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: