Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 06:43:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332888 Posts in 13640 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. the Soulless Army
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. the Soulless Army  (Read 11629 times)
Lilim

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2006, 12:58:21 PM »

If you're even interested in getting Devil Summoner, I would suggest getting it first since Atlus games have a tendency of disappearing a month after release. I broke down and simply bought both ToA and Devil Summoner, it makes my wallet whimper but I don't have to worry about finding them later.

I popped in both to see how they look and play. Devil Summoner seems an interesting change in the way it plays, but I didn't play past a few battles. Sometimes characters don't really blend in with the pre-rendered backgrounds, but it's not that distracting. I'm divided if I should shelf Okami till I can get through the new wave of RPGs. It might go something like this:

Me: "I love you Okami, but nearly 40 hours and I haven't beaten you yet in the middle of this RPG avalanche means you are becoming a third wheel."

Shiranui: *giant puppy eyes*

Me: "Oh I can't stay angry at you, but one day we'll meet again."

Issun: "Hey! You can't just throw us back on the shelf! The darkness hasn't been vanquished!"

Me: "Well, you can vanquish the darkness lingering on my shelf. Seeya guys after this storm passes."
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2006, 09:09:38 PM »

Well my main questions, for those who have played, is....hows the storyline, and how difficult or not difficult is it?

Any other info would be enjoyed as well.  And yeah, I like dubs, but only good ones, the speaking does add a little more flair, if done right, but if the story is good, it doesnt really matter.

For me, story is a big point...and if Devil Summoner is just pretty much fighting, with a meager story...kinda like Nocturne, then I probably wouldnt be interested.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2006, 09:43:10 PM »

I only played through 3 episodes and I find the story to be good thus far. There is a lot of action, but it has its share of plot too. As a detective, you go through various cases so it can be involving as you talk to certain characters to get leads and clues. Besides using demons to fight, you can use them to dig out information too. Not really as dark and twisted as the other SMT games, but I still find it engaging. As far as difficulty, it is easier than the other SMT games, minus the evil bosses.

I personally like it though it may not be for everyone, but give it a shot. That sums it up thus far.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2006, 03:14:33 PM »

I've heard that the AI is supposed to be really bad. Is this true at all? I'm sort of worried the combat system will be... really boring, given that the game also sounds rather slow and un-actiony, despite the realtimeness of it all.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2006, 04:48:26 PM »

At times I find the AI a bit meh, but I have no complaints. The fights themselves are pretty fast paced too.

Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2006, 06:34:09 PM »

Are there any comparisons to be made with other games? I mean, besides the other SMT games. I'm planning on picking it up, but there might be a few things that have a higher priority than this.

Also, any estimation as to how long it is?
Testament

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2006, 03:00:19 AM »

Quote from: "superflat"
Are there any comparisons to be made with other games? I mean, besides the other SMT games.

Gabriel Knight.

The game is fresh.  I'm really having a good time.

The only problem I have with it are the static camera angles and the fact that the map isn't nearly as useful as it should be.
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2006, 12:15:29 PM »

I've been playing the heck out of this game.  So far I'm in episode 9 (~28hrs in).  At first I wasn't sure about the game.  I never read the previews (maybe skimmed one) so I didn't know it wasn't turn based and was an action rpg.  That kinda threw me for a loop.  I agree that the static camera in battles can get annoying.  If I'm in the back and there is a lot of action in the front of my character (as is always the case), I can't see what I'm hitting.  So mainly I start blindly swinging my sword until I see the enemies health bar go down.  It's weird but I often find myself just staring at the top right corner during battles.

As far as the episodes go, they vary in length.  The earlier episodes were lengthier.  They also are all connected to the main story.  

The lack of voice acting doesn't bother me at all.  Keep in mind I'm the kind to skip the v.a. and just read the text because either the v.a. is bad or they speak too slowly.  Also this eliminates annoying battle cries/sayings.  Instead they have character art of them pop up in the bottom corner of the battle screen saying stuff like "Hells yes, anarchy in the Capital."  It's kinda cute and I love the art.  

I find the best part of the game is the demon fusion.  I had a blast with this in Nocturne.  For the most part, I find myself running around leveling up demons so I can get the best fusions with them.  I find some of the demons have bad A.I., while others are just fine.  I don't know if this is on purpose or what.  Oh, and there are new demons that I have never seen in the DDS games or Nocturne.

Edited to add:  Oh yeah, this game is the easiest of the SMT games I've played (Persona 2, Nocturne, DDS 1 &2).

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Haven

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2006, 09:28:12 PM »

Hmm....this one sounds like a winner then. Is it the press turn battle system in real time? I havent actually understood how the battle system works.

TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2006, 03:39:15 AM »

No press turn system, just plain ol hack and slash with a demon at your side.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2006, 03:57:03 AM »

TBD isn't entirely correct, actually. From what I understand, using an attack that an enemy is weak against temporarily stuns them - ergo, as close to a replication to the press turn system as possible in such a gameplay system.
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2006, 11:32:14 AM »

Like TBD said it is an action rpg, though Eusis is correct too.  Demons do have have a weakness and they are stunned when you hit them with it.  When they are stunned, you do critical damage and also have a chance to capture them in one of your spirit tubes (recruit them).

I guess I should elaborate.  The main character is equipped with a sword and a gun.  Later in the game you can fuse a demon to the sword to boost the attack power of it and also give yourself additional stats whether it is strength, magic, vitality, or luck.  It also can give you an additional property such as resistance to a certain element: fire, force, etc.  The magic stat basically affects the strength of the demons you summon.  The main character himself cannot do magic, that is what the gun is for.  You can load different kinds of bullets into it.  They have the elemental ones, but also status effect ones such as poison, charm, panic, etc.  You basically use the gun to stun them (it happens even if it isn't their weakness but they are stunned for a shorter length of time).  If you hit their weakness then the duration is longer and like I said before you can hit them critically and capture them.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2006, 01:15:18 PM »

Yea, my mistake. There are strengths and weakness you cna inflict on demons and stun them and you do need to exploit their weakness if you want to capture, but it is not like if you mess up, you will get totally screwed like in other SMT games, so minus the demon capturing, just hacking and slashing away works well overall (at least to me thus far and not go kamikaze). In short, it can be considered Press Turn System- Lite

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2006, 03:38:20 PM »

I know a lot of people are miffed about the lack of negotiations, but I never liked how that system worked much anyway. Persona 2's the only one I felt that really got it right. The original SMT's system was... too obtuse. Not so much in function but like, hard to figure out how to RESPOND to their questions. Just a lot of guesswork. Nocturne's felt a little on the simple side, but I felt it worked better.

I am, however, interested in how it worked in the other Devil Summoner games. Apparently you had demon personalities!?!?!? tell me more :O

Anyway, does the game have dungeons? What're they like? Big? Small?

Also totally unrelated, but the latest DDS games DON'T tie into the SMT series, right? I'm just kinda curious, since

Code:
DDS2 reminds me of SMT2 in a lot of ways so far.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2006, 04:57:34 PM »

Picked this up with Tales of Abyss(Which almost went over my head since I thought it was the DS game that I was planning to skip because...well...just look at  it... http://www.rpgfan.com/pics/talesofthetempest/ss-001.jpg ) and I'm really loving it. Battle system enjoyable enough, but it's the rest of the game that has me. I knew I'd like the game before I even played it as long as they seriously didn't mess up the battle system. The unique setting, art style(Although the men could use a bit less mascara) and detective theme just beat the crap out of the standard fare.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: