Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 02:09:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319634 Posts in 13044 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Divisive Movies.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Divisive Movies.  (Read 3247 times)
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« on: January 12, 2013, 03:38:30 AM »

There's movies that split opinions of the best of friends into very different camps. One will either love it or hate it. What's a such movie for your group and where do you lie?

I've noticed that most of my people can't stand Pineapple Express while I think it's top notch. I love pretty much everything about this movie.

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 04:45:08 PM »

Will Ferrel movies. I have disliked every one I have seen. The most divisive seem to be Elf and Anchorman. I thought both were awful and unfunny. It seems most people think otherwise. Baffling.
I have yet to see Stranger Than Fiction and The Other Guys. Both I've heard are good even for peopel who don't like Will Ferrel. We'll see.

Playing: A Link Between Worlds
Reading: Cosmos by Carl Sagan
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 04:49:13 PM »

The Other Guys isn't that good, IMO. I liked it, but actually thought it was less funny than a lot of Wii Ferrel movies that I've seen. I thought Stranger Than Fiction was one of his better movies, though. Just saying.

I'd say something more on-topic, but I've honestly never had this experience. All of my friends either agree a movie on the quality, or none of us can agree at all.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 04:51:27 PM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Perigryn
Infrequent, but still here.

Sleepy Chrono is sleepy.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 04:53:00 PM »

Will Ferrel movies. I have disliked every one I have seen. The most divisive seem to be Elf and Anchorman. I thought both were awful and unfunny. It seems most people think otherwise. Baffling.
I have yet to see Stranger Than Fiction and The Other Guys. Both I've heard are good even for peopel who don't like Will Ferrel. We'll see.

Now I can agree with you, largely, on Anchorman. That was a bit overhyped, and really not as funny as I was expecting it to be. That being said, it had its share of moments.

Elf, on the other hand, is a great Christmas movie. Check your Christmas spirit, my friend, your heart needs to grow ten sizes this day ^_~ haha.

The only film I can think of that I really, thoroughly enjoyed and most people I know or who have commented on it don't, is Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. True, it really doesn't do Final Fantasy justice, but as soon as you think of it as being called just "The Spirits Within", its a pretty good film. Beautifully rendered, great soundtrack, fairly well acted and the story is good, I think. I like what it conveys and tries to teach, and its fairly straightforward in getting to that point, while tossing in the odd touch of drama and tragedy, but not getting muddled down by it.

Just Greg, thanks.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 05:32:42 PM »

Agreed on Spirits Within. I thought it was fine.

Matrix movies for me and my friends. Most people only like the first one, I liked all three.

dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 05:44:34 PM »

I like Elf, Anchorman, and Spirits Within. Don't like the Matrix.

For one particular group of pals, it is There Will Be Blood. I'm in the "love it" camp.
Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 06:04:50 PM »

Jim Carrey movies.

My husband and his friends think "Dumb and Dumber" is the pinnacle of movies. I think its... dumb. I never like the Jim Carrey characters where he is a complete moron. I do enjoy some of his movies where the character isn't an idiot, like The Truman Show or Liar Liar.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 06:42:25 PM »

When I was in college, every dude was gaga about Dumb and Dumber, yet I thought the movie was a putrid pile of crap. 

I'm also one of those who liked The Spirits Within.  I actually found it more original than a lot of stuff Hironobu Sakaguchi directed.

And I dare to blaspheme... I did not like the movie Forrest Gump at all.  Everyone loved it, though.  I feel like Elaine in the English Patient episode of Seinfeld regarding Forrest Gump. 

I also didn't like Donnie Darko.  Everyone on RPGFan was fellating that movie as something really special, but  I found the movie really boring and forgettable.  To me, it was a superficial take on Hamlet's descent into madness with a rabbit (i.e. down the rabbit hole all surreal like Alice in Wonderland) and playing with the idea that Hamlet isn't mad because he's the only one who sees what's going on and everyone else has the wool pulled over their eyes.

I approve of this nonsense!
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 06:44:18 PM »

Like: Donnie Darko, Dumb and Dumber.
Did not like: Forrest Gump, English Patient
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 08:31:01 PM »

Pineapple Express was alright, but my dad that smokes pot (and mom) both thought it was dumb.
I recently watched Dracula (1992) and it was okay but nothing worthy of a best picture oscar.
I grew up watching Dumb and Dumber every now and then, and have fond memories of it but haven't watched it in a few years.
Elf (someone actually asked me a trivia question about it recently) was entertaining but forgot about it easily.
Umm, nothing else comes to mind.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 10:22:04 PM »

The Big Lebowski...I guess I just don't get it...

Everything's Eventual
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 11:07:26 PM »

Ah and all 3 Toy Story movies were nice but overrated, imo.
I prefer Wall-e, Up, and Finding Nemo.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2013, 11:16:07 PM »

Agreed (sorry Mongoosey).

I *love* the Other Guys.  The action bit at the end is a bit long, but I thought it was amazing.

Maybe it's been a while, but I thought the Usual Suspects was good, not god-tier.

I like Hot Fuzz *way* more than Shaun of the Dead (a lot of others feel the other way I find).

A lot of people love Wreck-it-Ralph.  Meh.

Hannibal was a good follow up to Silence of the Lambs.  No, not better, but certainly good on its own merit too.

Layer Cake is one of my favorite movies -- I'm surprised how many give it a passing nod.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2013, 11:23:21 PM »

I like Hot Fuzz *way* more than Shaun of the Dead (a lot of others feel the other way I find).

Oh yeah, same here. I actually thought Shaun of the dead could've been better, though I can't quite remember how or why. Hot Fuzz, though, was pretty ace. I should rewatch it soon.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2013, 12:09:32 AM »

Agreed (sorry Mongoosey).

I think all the Toy Story movies are awesome, but I like Wall-E and especially Finding Nemo better. ;3

Edit: To add to the conversation,I like Return to Oz better than Wizard of Oz.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 12:13:21 AM by Starmongoose » Logged

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: